This project's funding goal was not reached on June 5, 2014.
About this project
- Blood and Snow is a 3D isometric single player or cooperative Role Playing game. Although Blood and Snow is set in an open world there is a strong central story-line presented through quests. We focus on giving players lots of choices but unlike other games, we think it's important to make you choose between bad and worse instead of bad and good. The grey areas of life and the complexity of the human psyche are our focus and we want to drag you into the depths of moral conflict.
- You will play as a Demigod who was charged in the past with guiding humanity in a world where humanity as a whole fears you.
- There are no classes in Blood and Snow. Instead you will have access to a flattened ability tree which allows you to customize your play style and level individual abilities and spells as you see fit.
- Your Demigod is completely customizable down to very minute detail as is your armor, weaponry and mount.
- There will be a branching dialogue system in story quests which will allow you to shape the world as you play.
- Blood and Snow is being developed in the Unity engine and will initially release for PC, Mac and Linux.
- The game will be available in English with plans to translate into Japanese, German and Spanish initially. (If there's a big demand for another language we'll look into adding it.)
- Blood and Snow will be distributed DRM-free (Steam is our targeted primary distribution network but we will also distribute on other DRM-free networks.
(If you want to read about any of the details mentioned above in more depth continue reading below. We hope we've piqued your interest enough in our header to make you want to learn more!)
The Spyric Lords have been watching their world. Trapped in the realm of shadow they have suffered in their self-inflicted exile as we, their children have destroyed their world, worshiping them from afar. When the last Draygon -King was smote upon the earth, the final seal was shattered. The blood of men was too weak, too diluted by wine and the promises of false gods. We did not see the signs. But those few who could remember the prophecies acted. The Spyric Lords came fast, first to the empires of Lothian and Lorian heralded as Gods, crushing the nations beneath their will. In the span of a season nearly all the world fell before their majesty. Only a vestige of the world remains. In a ritual as old and terrible as their enemy a handful of the land's greatest heroes cursed themselves with an all-consuming dark power. Now they must fight and win a war against their gods, their world and their souls or break in the torrent of blood and snow.
The Children of War game world is large and although Blood and Snow takes place in a small region of the overall world, it in itself is massive in terms of game scale. In its current state, the playable game area is 20km by 20km (12.4 miles)! For legal reasons, we will not compare the size of our playable area to specific games but you can do your own research about your favorite RPGs and compare them to the scale of Blood and Snow. This game is pretty big! The environment of the game ranges from Pacific Northwest Rain-forest, graduating into a mountainous alpine setting and into arctic glacier fields that lead up to and drop off into the ocean. There are great and evil forces guarding untold power and riches lurking in the dark caves, deep mines and treacherous dungeons beneath the surface:
While Blood and Snow can be played single-player we've built it from day-one with coop in mind. Our development team grew up in an era where social gaming meant more than just linking up with guild and clan mates and communicating over a headset. While we love online play and we want it to be a big part of our game, we will need an additional engineer to help us accomplish that. We are however building in same-screen cooperative play without a stretch goal. You'll be able to pull up Blood and Snow in your living room. Your friends, using either their own account if they own the game or a guest account (just like any modern console FPS) will login so you can play together in the same room, eating pizza and making a ruckus like in the good ol' days!
When playing your favorite RPG or MMO have you ever been frustrated that the gear with the best statistics doesn't look the way you wish it would? Have you ever been upset that you have to trade in a weapon that you really like because you just got a weapon that has way better properties but doesn't look very good? Well so have we and we don't want that frustration to be present in our game. We decided early on in our development process that controlling the look of not only the character but of weapons, armor and even mounts was something we wanted to be a feature in this game. So we've built a robust customization system that includes the ability to tweak individual character body parts, add custom tattoos and scars to any part of the body, not just pre-defined areas, adjust the placement, addition and subtraction of whole pieces of armor. The system also allows players to customize weapon part combinations by letting the player select from a lineup of blades, hand guards, pommels, shafts, you name it. You'll be able to mix and match weapon parts in the weapon category you prefer. Maybe you like Pauldron A but you only want it on the right shoulder. No problem. Maybe you like the shape of a helmet but want to change out the face plate. Again, that won't be a problem. This also means that your character can truly be unique because of the sheer volume of possible combinations! And when you find Spyric items that carry greater magical properties you will be able to extract those magicks from the item and imbue them into any item of your choosing through the Daemon Forge game mechanic.
Rather than making you accept the stats that are given by a dropped item, our system includes a pool of "stat points" which you can use to customize your item's properties! There will be a stat conversion ration that has yet to be determined but with your help we'll figure it out in alpha. For now let's call it a 5:1 ratio. So this is how it works: You defeat a boss and win an item with 10 strength and 15 stamina. You could wear this item as it is or you can destroy it at the Daemon Forge and absorb 5 stat points which you can then distribute into any stat of your choosing on any item of your choosing! You will only be able to destroy the most powerful weapons and not just the trash you find off of mobs, and there will be a cap based on level so that it won't be possible to create weapons that are overpowered.
Many spells and attacks will have customizable colors and behaviors that will be described later when we unveil our combat system fully. The positioning of weapons and quivers on the game character will also be customizable.
Item Lineage and Inheritances:
As if the look and stat customization wasn't enough, we want you to feel that your armor, weapons and other items in the game are a part of your character, not just something that he or she wears. In order to make this happen we've come up with the Lineage and Inheritance systems. Inheritances are simply non-stat bonus perks that are part of a weapon. An example of this would be that a sword might cause 10 extra fire damage or might cause the enemy it hits to freeze in place. Inheritances can be transferred via the Daemon Forge by using and acquiring soul shards from powerful enemies and sentient objects.
The weapon Lineage system is even more exciting. When you create or find a weapon you get to name it, just as warriors of old named their weapons. Your weapon will then record important battles, slain foes, dungeons conquered, in the form of titles all wrapped into a robust weapon-specific achievement system. There are also weapons of great power with rich lineage strewn about the face of Cyrn and it will be up to you as the player to find them using real clues and detective work.
(Unlockable. Check Stretch Goal chart for more information)
Test your mettle in Mettle mode! Mettle Mode stems back to when our team used to do speed runs on our favorite isometric "Hack'n'Slash". We'd start new characters and play until we died. We set our own rules, not allowing for resurrection or the purchase of items. You had to play until you died, using only found items. In this same vein of play we decided we wanted to put a competitive mode in our game which would not only allow players to compete for the sake of competition (plenty of fun on its' own) but which would also grant rewards that the player would be able to access through his/her regular characters. We also thought we'd use this mode to give players a deeper look at the history of Cyrn and Spyric lore. So this is the breakdown of Mettle Mode:
This mode starts players at level 1 and progresses through a series of tiered dungeons with accelerated XP. Each dungeon explains portions of Cyrnic and Spyric history. There are several "Acts" which have 10 dungeon tiers to fight through. Mettle Mode characters suffer permanent death and progress cannot be saved. If someone drops out of a game, another player may take his or her place but starts at level 1.
Each dungeon tier within an "Act" has a reward for defeating the boss. Players may choose to take the reward after defeating each tier, ending that session, or they may continue to the next tier, forfeiting the reward. Each tier of course offers better and more powerful rewards. The last boss in each "Act" drops a unique set of weapons, armor or other powerful items that are bound to the player account and can be shared with any of the player's characters.
The $20-$50 tiers are all early bird tiers. Those who contribute to any of the early bird tiers within the first 48 hours of the launch of this Kickstarter will automatically be bumped to the next tier... FOR FREE! But wait, that isn't all. All early birds will receive an exclusive backer-only amulet. This amulet is more than a mere decoration. It can periodically (based on a cool-down) summon the tortured spirit of a beautiful, lost woman to temporarily fight at your side.
We want your friends to be able to play too! After all this is a coop game and we want to reward you for bringing more players into the fold. So we've devised this "Bring Your Buddy Bonus". Here's how it works: You tell your friend about the Kickstarter and you both pledge. Then your buddy sends us a PM on Kickstarter telling us that you referred them to the project. When we set up our database and you create your game accounts, you two will now be tied together and receive an in-game item: The Spyric Tether! The Tether will allow you to embark on an exclusive quest to complete a dark ritual which will grant a permanent XP boost whenever you play together! On top of that, we have a tier system of exclusive recruiter awards listed in the table below:
- 1 Friend = In-Game/Forum Title: Recruiter
- 5 Friends = In-Game/Forum Title: Master Manipulator
- 10 Friends = A special recruiter-only mount! (To help you ride to the farthest reaches of Cyrn in search of new conscripts.)
- 15 Friends = The Cloak of Gathering. This special in-game item shows your dedication to bringing more conscripts into the fold. The unique look will be customizable and this cape gives off a slight glow, making it a built in light-source in dark areas of the game!
- 20 Friends = The Blade of Persuasion. This is a recruiter-only addition to your weapon customization options. This blade was forged using veins of raw Glowsteel, which takes on the color of any light source nearby. The blade's shape and Glowsteel vein pattern will be fully customizable! It will be usable as a weapon or can be carried on your character as a decoration.
If you pledged already but want to upgrade to a different tier there is no need to cancel your pledge unless you want to upgrade to one of the labeled "EXCLUSIVE" tiers. If you are wanting to upgrade to a regular tier simply add the difference to your pledge and write us a little note in the comment section of your pledge indicating the tier level you're upgrading to. If you want to upgrade to one of the "EXCLUSIVE" tiers you'll need to withdraw your pledge and re-pledge simply because there are limited slots for those levels.
Here are our stretch goals. There's a ton of exciting stuff on the horizon if we meet them:
Stretch Goal Notes:
Box copies, posters and physical art books all unlock after reaching the $75,000 stretch goal. This is to ensure that the costs related to getting you these physical rewards will be covered and that we'll be able to use the rest to pay our team to feed themselves while we finish the game.
Take a look at these visual representations of our tier rewards, you know, just in case it's easier for you to visualize things this way:
We have an awesome music team, full of super talented people. Since music is one of the most important parts of setting the right tone for game-play and cinematics, we wanted you to get to know them so that you have one more thing to look forward to. Here are their bios and thanks to our amazing composer, Austin Lawrence, some links to download free music from the game. That's right, free just for checking our Kickstarter out. Free is good.
We would also love to explore porting to console but unfortunately this isn't a simple matter of money although the recent announcements from Sony seem to indicate that PS4 will be very friendly for Indie studios like us. Normally, you have to have a proven consumer base to be considered by the console companies. We will explore all of our options and will be in contact with Sony and Microsoft throughout our campaign so we'll keep you updated if any developments are made in that direction. If we are able to develop for consoles (which will be a very easy port because we are using Unity) those platforms will become available to backers who have selected tiers that include a copy(s) of the game!
Have questions about the Blood and Snow Kickstarter project? Come discuss the game at http://crowdfundingforum.com/showthread.php/10939-(Kickstarter)-Children-of-War-Blood-and-Snow-Action-RPG-for-PC-MAC-Linux?p=19662#post19662
Risks and challenges
One of the biggest concerns expressed by friends, fans and followers has been the worry of being able to create a game with the depth we are talking about here with such a small budget. Rest assured that we have spent many sleepless nights and long work days just figuring out the scope of this game and gathering the assets needed to accomplish our ambitions. We already have many if the modular assets we need to create the world of Blood and Snow and we plan to accomplish our goals using only Kickstarter funding utilizing the following bullet points in our development process:
1. Modular development: Most of our game assets are modular and reusable meaning that we have the ability to iterate through environment creation rapidly and with attention to detail.
2. Locked scope: We know the size and scope of our game and we already have many stretch goals in mind which expand aspects of the game that keep us from overextending ourselves. Some Kickstarter projects seem to exponentially expand the scope of their original ideas with more funding and we feel that this is unwise. We want to give you a good, clean, finished game and any stretch funds will go into the polish of what we have planned rather than into expanding to the point of losing its value.
3. Early release of system modules to backers as we build them: We will be releasing different game systems to the player through a client app that backers will gain access to as soon as it is ready. This means that when we have character customization ready, we'll send it to you. When we have our combat system ready, we will release a small practice map and let you have at it. We want to engage the player as early as possible and let you make suggestions and shape our systems so that we can implement the best possible final game as we can.
4. Continued expansion of the game world after release: We have plans to continually add to the game and even to allow players to add to the game by crafting dungeon instances for others to play in. The details aren't solid because as stated above, we're being careful with scope but ideally we'd like to incorporate the best player creations into the game permanently. We'll expand on that as the project progresses.
5. Utilization of time-saving middleware: We are utilizing a few middleware applications to enable us to speed up the creation of our assets and systems. This means that there are chunks of the game already made which we are currently modifying rather than having to build from the ground up. Again, this is a huge time-saving development method.
6. Unity: Anyone who has used the Unity SDK will understand what we mean when we say that it allows us to rapidly prototype new ideas and change game mechanics. The utilization of this platform along with attention to detail in our project organization will allow us to quickly iterate through balance and bug fixes and to make necessary changes to game systems with minimal hassle. Unity also has the flexibility to allow us to quickly port to multiple platforms, making it ideal for a project such as this in which backers may want to choose from many platform options.
We have a small team and so time is always working against us. Obviously the more funding we get, the more budget we'll have to hire more help and thus speed up the project. That being said, we have set our time constraints based on meeting the minimum funding goal with our current team and we will work full time to achieve that timeline. You will NEVER be left in the dark. This is your project as much as it is ours and you deserve to know what is going on. Just as you have pledged to us, we pledge to you to be responsible stewards of the money you've trusted us with. We'll provide RSS feeds, regular email and social media updates as well as a forum so that you can stay connected to the project whichever way suits you best.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Our planned combat system scales with the number of players in a party so you can play this solo or coop! The rewards also scale so there is some incentive to play with your friends. Bottom line: Anyone can have fun playing this game.
Yes we are! We are actually developing gamepad controls simultaneously with our mouse/keyboard control scheme. Of course we'll have a default, recommended controller scheme but you'll be free to set it up and re-target keys to your preferences.
- (30 days)