I have ten original songs that I am recording with a fabulous backing band: Eugene Wasserman (Pablo Picasso, Violens) on bass, Jay Israelson (Patrick Cleandenim) on keys and synthetic beats, and Robert 'Chicken' Burke (The Duke and The King) on drums and percussion. Eric Gorman (whose credits include Herbie Hancock, Dead Prez, Twin Shadow) will engineer, co produce, and mix the record. Jay Israelson will engineer and co produce as well.
The record will have a magical, sparkly atmosphere, with lots of Phil Spector esque vocal harmonies, ethereal keyboard tones, and unusual rhythms. I aim to create a modern and unique take on a lush pop vocal record that is full of descriptive imagery, colorful and uplifting at once. I have found inspiration in recordings by Gal Costa, Francoise Hardy, The Mamas and the Papas, Linda Perhacs, Carly Simon, France Gall, The Ronettes, Stevie Nicks, Kate Bush, Diana Ross and the Supremes, and Marianne Faithfull.
Your contribution will assist me in funding the actual recording process, and mixing of the album. I have funding from my record label, Drag City to get me started, but require more to complete the album the way it will sound best. I have a great team of collaborators I'm working with, and want to pay them for their countless hours spent on the project and expertise. Making a pop vocal record in this style is unusual these days for 'indie' musicians- did you know that with the majority of pop vocal records, vocals are double, triple, if not quadruple tracked (the same part recorded over itself on separate takes)? That same process was used for ‘Nothing to Lose’ the song featured in the video here. I am approaching this project as an art piece, making sure I’m working with the right materials and sonic textures.
Many thanks ahead of time for your support, and I look forward to sharing the record with you.
P.S.: Here is a step by step run through of how to pledge if you are running into technical problems while making a donation:
1. Go to the project page.
2. Hit the green 'Back this project' button
3. Enter in a dollar amount
4. Select the reward you'd like
5. Scroll down to the green 'Continue to next step' button and click it
6. Click the green 'Continue to Amazon' button
7. You'll now be at the Amazon sign-in page. Enter your email address that you use for your Amazon account as well as your password and click the yellow sign in button. (Or, if you don't have an account, you'll need to create one by clicking "No, I am a new user.") Note that this is a different login that your Kickstarter login.
8. Make sure the credit card you'd like to use is selected and click the yellow Continue button.
9. Verify the info on the next page and then hit the yellow 'Confirm' button.
- (30 days)