City of Mist is a cinematic, neo-noir tabletop RPG set in a modern-day city where legends and stories incarnate in ordinary people, granting them mythical powers. Due to the mystical veil of the Mist, most City residents are oblivious to the legendary forces in the City, leaving modern-day legends, or RIFTS, to operate in a hidden underworld of fairy-tales and crime.
Play as detectives, vigilantes, crooks, or just ordinary Janes and Joes with legendary powers, in a setting that combines the super-powered detective mood of Jessica Jones, Daredevil, or Luke Cage with themes from myth and legend, like in Fables (The Wolf Among Us) or American Gods. You and your crew investigate strange cases and face off with other modern-day legends, and at the same time struggle to balance your everyday life with the Mythos inside you. It's time to hit the streets...
City of Mist was successfully funded in 2016 and published in 2017. It already has a great community of backers and fans and has sold thousands of copies. The next evolutionary step for the game is a guided set of adventures in the world of City of Mist – a story arc – that MCs (or GMs/DMs) can easily run for their groups. Nights of Payne Town is the first story arc book we will publish, with ten (10) individual cases connected into a single overarching plot.
READ MORE ABOUT THE GAME BELOW!
AWARDS & REVIEWS
City of Mist RPG won two ENnie awards: Silver for Best Free Game 2017 (Starter Set) and Gold for Best Interior Art 2018 (Core Book, which will be split into the Player Guide and the MC Toolkit books available on this campaign).
GEEK & SUNDRY: “Pitch-perfect blend of superhero and noir tabletop RPG... The mechanics are simple yet INCREDIBLY robust.”
ONE SHOT PODCAST: “[City of Mist] combines everything that’s great about Apocalypse World with everything that’s great about FATE... look at the art, and see why I want this beautiful game on my shelf."
AMAZON 5-STAR REVIEWS:
★ “Detective Noir Knockout.” ★ “Great System, Great Book, Great Company” ★ “One of the best RPG books I've read.” ★ “New favorite TTRPG.” ★ “Fantastic cinematic experience” ★ “I've got a lot of rpg books, this one rules them all” ★ “One of the Best Gaming Products I've Encountered in nearly 30 years of gaming.” ★ “A beautiful, cinematic superhero noir tabletop RPG for veterans and new players alike” ★ “Amit Moshe and Son of Oak Game Studio have established one of the hottest RPG franchises” ★ “Come for the incredibly high production value of the book. Stay for the brilliant design of the game.”
ACTUAL PLAY & MEDIA
City of Mist RPG has a wide range of Actual Play shows and podcasts for you to check out, from creators including Encounter Roleplay, Saving Throw, One Shot Podcast, Mistconceptions, Six & Twenty and many more.
Whether you are new to City of Mist or a veteran detective, this Kickstarter offers all the books and extras you need to play the game.
The rewards on this project include:
- The Player Guide
- The MC Toolkit (GM/DM Guide)
- The "Nights of Payne Town" Story Arc book
As well as other City of Mist products included in the "I want it all!" tier:
- The "Shadows & Showdowns" expansion
- The Accessories Set including Theme Cards, Themebooks, Maps, and Tracking Cards
Don't forget to also check out the ADD-ONs below, including the MC Screen, the Slipcase, and more...
All of the game books produced in this campaign will be printed in hardcover with ~200-250 (we promise no 500 juggernauts this time) letter-sized full-color pages with stunning signature City of Mist illustrations and hand-crafted graphic design. (The exception to this is the player guide, which may be up to 300 pages, but we'll try to cut it down.)
You can get the following items by increasing your pledge by the listed amount. At the end of the campaign, you will receive a survey (via the pledge manager BackerKit) asking you to choose which add-ons you want for the extra funds you added.
(You can also choose add-ons after the campaign, but pledging for add-ons during the campaign helps to unlock more stretch goals.)
Shipping for add-ons will be calculated on the BackerKit pledge manager.
- MC Screen: Three-part illustrated MC (GM) screen with all the rules, MC moves, narration tips, Danger rules, and a place to write your players your players' Identities, Mysteries, and weakness tags. Art by Marcin.
- Slipcase: A premium illustrated slipcase that can hold two books: the Player Guide + the MC Rulebook OR Nights of Payne Town and Shadows & Showdowns. Art by Marcin.
- Custom City of Mist Dice: Twelve-sided dice with the numbers 1-6 twice (DoubleSixes, credit to Matt Fleming). Statistically identical to 1d6. Each set includes a purple Mythos die and an ivory Logos die.
- Nights of Payne Town Crime Board Map (automatically included in "I want everything" tier): A City map with all the locations of the Nights of Payne Town Story Arc.
- Themebooks: Fourteen (14) beautifully crafted and laminated standalone themebooks to pass around during character creation. Watch video
- Theme Cards: 50 large cards (8" x 3.15") to build your character as a deck of theme cards. Includes 3 cards of each of the 14 theme types, 6 character cards, and 2 crew/extra theme cards. Watch video
- Location Maps: Nominated for Best Cartography and Best Miniature Product ENnies awards 2018! Ten beautiful A2-sized maps (42.0 x 59.4cm / 16.53 x 23.39 inches) of the most dangerous City locations! Watch Video
- Tracking Cards: 20 laminated (dry-erase) cards to keep track of Statuses, Clues, Story Tags, and Juice.
- Premium T-Shirt: Printed City of Mist T-Shirt with logo on front and one of the signature Starter Set characters on the back.
What makes City of Mist special is its unique premise and its bleak, yet mysterious, noir atmosphere. Your character, whether jaded or naive, lives in a corrupt metropolis where hidden forces steer the lives of millions. The situation is miserable, but you are awakening, beginning to become aware of the legend deep inside you. Together with your crew, you are trying to find answers in a city forever blinded by the veil of the Mist. You want to discover what is real, whether you are human or a legend, and who is running the show from the shadows. You are trying to discover the truth, and you're up against heavy opposition.
Think mobsters with the power of Greek gods, a corrupt politician enchanting citizens with his magical pipe music, and a biker gang called the Winged Monkeys working for an unsavory smuggler, a modern-day Wicked Witch of the West.
Check out Detective' Enkidu's thoughts about the state of affairs in the city, in this animated version of the Core Book's opening comic:
Nights of Payne Town will present the first playable story arc that you can just pick up and play with your friends. It will contain of ten (10) cases that can be played individually, or as an ongoing campaign, each with its own backstory, locations, clues, NPCs, Dangers, and maps.
The story arc covers a time of turmoil in the City. The police are helpless against a new wave of crime, powered by forces they neither see nor understand. Ancient legends that were scheming in the shadows for decades are now finally enacting their insidious plans, raining chaos and suffering on the streets. The only ones who can stop this mayhem are nameless individuals, anti-heroes like your crew, caught in this mess unwillingly or all too willingly...
Nights of Payne Town cases break down into three "veins", or sub-plots:
- The Criminal Vein, cases involving the rise of an unstoppable crime baron, a violent self-proclaimed monarch, and the struggle for power over the City streets.
- The Mystical Vein, cases following a magical arms race, where a mystery collector will stop at nothing to gather every form of magical object and being in the City;
- and The Personal Vein, cases trailing the personal tragedy of the victims of a scheme to slowly and painfully destroy the very fabric of society in the City.
At the culmination of the story arc, these three veins combine into a single super-plot revealing a sordid truth and a malignant power that has been feeding on the misery of the City since its early days. But, even there, in the heart of darkness, there is hope... even if is hidden from mortal eyes.
Can your crew solve these cases, face these evils, and save the City?
Among the modern-day legends featured are Hansel & Gretel, the Wendigo, Goldilocks, the Snow Queen, a slew of characters from Arthurian legend, the Philosopher's Stone, King David, Paul Bunyan, spirits of Haitian Voodoo, and many more.
City of Mist runs on a unique cinematic game system that puts story, atmosphere, and player creativity at the center.
(For indie buffs: it's an offshoot of Apocalypse Engine (PbtA) with elements of FATE and Lady Blackbird).
Here is what players love about City of Mist RPG:
- Your character is built entirely from TAGS so it's easy and engaging to play. Tags can be anything: abilities, powers, resources, allies, even feelings! When you take an action, you simply count the tags that support the action and add them to the total of your roll.
- TAGS encourage players to get creative and descriptive with their actions. No more repetitive actions and lengthy calculations. It's also very attractive to new role-players as no complex rules are needed.
- You create characters using Themebooks, questionnaires that guide you through choosing your tags with ample examples and ideas.
- The system provides all the valves and controls to keep the tag system both challenging and flowing.
- Your character has four THEMES divided between Mythos (the legend inside her) and Logos (her ordinary life). The balance between the legendary and the ordinary can change during play, as your character gives more of herself to magic or normality. You can even go overboard in either direction, turning into an Avatar or forgetting your legendary self.
- Your character has four core MOTIVES called Mysteries and Identities. This makes for interesting, conflicted characters that are fun to explore in roleplay. Just one look at your character themes and you know what your character's deepest drives are!
- Your character goes through dramatic changes when her Mythos and Logos inevitably clash. Entire themes can flip from legendary to ordinary and back. Your character may lose her dearest relationship but then gain new powers, or vice versa!
We have lots of great stretch goals planned for you including Bonus PDFs by prominent authors, additional accessories (GM screen, splicase, etc.), art and comic boosts for the books, and even new books and sets. Let's unlock them all!
30K Unlocked! Bonus PDF: New District: The Tourist Trap!
A new City District by James Introcaso, co-designer of D&D’s Waterdeep Dragon Heist
During the day, the Tourism District is the happier part of the City where tourists from “out-of-town” come to see the sights and visit shops. At night, it turns into a place of divey bars and loud clubs, where tourists can be conned, murdered, or kidnapped by Rifts of vampires and shady art dealers. It could be days before those tourists' out-of-town loved ones emerge through the Mist at the edge of town, looking for answers - or revenge.
James Introcaso will also take part in the development of Nights of Payne Town story arc book.
40K Unlocked! Bonus PDF: New PreGens!
City of Mist is renowned for it's colorful ready-to-play characters. Two more PreGens are coming your way - Tlaloc, the Aztec Rain God incarnated in a teenage street rat (see him in action above the Rewards title) and Job, a middle-aged "Logan"-style ginger priest who can take pretty much any punishment!
50K Unlocked! The MC/GM Screen!
One of the accessories still missing from the City of Mist table is a screen for the MC. We'll create one that will help you track all the MC moves and narration cues, core player and Danger rules, your players' Identities, Mysteries, and weaknesses, and more! Of course, Marcin's art will adorn the front. You can grab the Screen as an add-on (see Add-Ons below). Backers - you get to take part in the choice of art on the screen!
We'll add the MC Screen to the add-on section soon!
60K Unlocked! Art Boost for Nights of Payne Town!
Prepare to be immersed in City of Mist signature art and maps for all of your Nights of Payne Town cases! In addition to that, each case will have its own montage-style cover inside the book.
70K Unlocked! Extra Case in the MC Toolkit "Gambling With Death"!
We will expand the Case Writing example included in the MC Toolkit into a full-length case, "Gambling With Death"! MC's will get both a ready-to-run case AND a full case-building example . "Gambling with Death" starts when a young woman meets her doom allegedly leaping off the roof of the Royal Plaza Casino, giving the crew the first peek into the operation of one of the most dangerous Avatars in the City.
80K Unlocked! Bonus PDF: New District: Colonia De Sombras!
A new Mexican-inspired City District by Mark Diaz Truman, co-founder of Magpie Games!
La Colonia de Sombras is a district split in two, divided between the dark machinations of Tio Tez, a crime kingpin (Tezcatlipoca) who has seized control of the thriving immigrant-filled territory, and a mysterious masked luchadora who calls herself La Águila Plata (The Silver Eagle). She battles his forces all over the district, even as he calls upon darker Rifts –El Charro Negro! – to terrorize the people and turn them against her. The Mist conceals their battles, but it grows weak in the face of constant and unending conflict…
90K Unlocked! The Slipcase!
Store your City of Mist books as a set in a beautiful 2-book SLIPCASE illustrated by Marcin Sobon and designed by Manuel Serra. Get a slipcase for either the Player Guide and MC Toolkit or Nights of Payne Town and Shadows & Showdowns. Or get both slipcases for all four books! Backers - you get to take part in the choice of art on the slipcase! You can grab the Slipcase an add-on (see Add-Ons below).
100K Unlocked! THE NEW STARTER SET!
Meet the "All-Seeing Eye Investigations" crew! Detective Enkidu, Tlaloc, Baku, Job, and Lily Chow / Iron Hans, will become the new official City of Mist Starter Set characters! All backers will receive a PDF copy of these PreGens + a revised Starter Set booklet + a special case introducing the game (which also links to the MC Toolkit case, "Gambling with Death"). Are you ready for this new crew?
110K Unlocked! MAP OF PAYNE TOWN!
The first component in your Nights of Payne Town CRIME BOARD! Trace your investigation on a map of the entire City that contains all the locations from the 10 Nights of Payne Town cases (adventures). Connect the dots between crime scenes and pin notes to key locations as you work to uncover the ancient force behind the City's senseless misery!
Everyone gets the map in PDF and can get it in print as an add-on. "I Want Everything" tier also get it as an extra print map!
120K Unlocked! 50 New Theme Improvements in Shadows & Showdowns!
New player options in Shadows & Showdowns! In addition to new Relics, Familiars, and Themebooks, we will create a pool of 50 new theme improvements that can be selected by your character, opening up new possibilities to upgrade your character and allowing players to explore new horizons in long-running campaigns!
130K Unlocked! New District: Fortune Row!
A new City District by Jules Braddock (@theMetamancer), MC of The Larkspur Sequence on Encounter Roleplay!
Fortune Row is the City's foremost gambling and high-life district, where dreams come true and lives shatter to pieces in an instant. Pull off cinematic heists stripping the City's elite from their fabled riches, only to be thwarted at the last minute by magical security systems or hunted down by their legendary henchmen! Is your crew ready for this job?
140K Unlocked! New District: Independence!
A new City District of African-American legends by Chris Spivey, multi-ENnie-award-winning author of Harlem Unbound!
Independence is a district striving for a brighter future while suffering under the oppressive weight of history, corruption, and Ward Nine’s diabolic machinations enforced by their shadowy legions. Can your crew help local legends Isaiah (High John de Conquer), Myrna (John Henry), Reeves (Lone Ranger), and B (Harriet Tubman) overcome Ward Nine’s legions and bring change to this downtrodden district?
150K Unlocked! Art Boost for Shadows & Showdowns!
Comics, chapter covers, and all around more stunning Marcin Sobon and signature City of Mist art for Shadows & Showdowns! Every chapter will start with a two-page comic and full spread cover and the layout will be hand-crafted with mood-setting decorations in the tradition of the Core Book.
160K Unlocked! New Avatar: Jack of Doors!
A new Avatar operation based on Jack the Ripper by Jordan Shiveley (Spire: The City Must Fall)!
You've been dreaming about doors for as long as you can remember. Doors that appear impossibly where they were not moments before, except you can’t shake the feeling that they have always been. Doors that hungrily whisper a name to you, a name that slithers through your mind and has started forming on your lips unbidden even in your waking moments. JACK.
What happens when a 'murderer' is taken by the impulse to rip open not his victims' bodies but their lives, their very Identities? Jack of Doors can do just that - he can tear the Mist, not only to open doors into unknown Mythos realms, but also to strip people of their ordinary lives, effectively murdering them and birthing Rifts. But what does he want from the City? What is his endgame?
170K Unlocked! City of Mist Soundtrack!
Get into the mystery noir mood in your game with these background tracks! We'll combine classic noir music with modern cinematic touch to create tracks perfect for your City of Mist investigation, action, and drama scenes.
Everyone entitled to the Bonus PDFs will receive the soundtrack as a digital download.
180K Unlocked! New District: The Tunnels!
A new underworld City District by Chris Gunning, Ennie-award winning writer (Delta Green)
There have been tunnels under the City for as long as anyone can remember. There are records of some construction generations ago, and of a more recent aborted metro network - but exactly how extensive the underground district really is remains a bit of a question. Its a confusing mish-mash of interconnected caves, sewers, catacombs, forgotten basements, decaying metro tunnels, and even a well-traveled underground shopping complex. The tunnels and the community's that huddle there are said to be composed of old blood -- really old blood. This is a place of rituals, death, and desperation where cthonic Avatars like Mithras, Batara Kala, and Erishkigal vie against one another for the forgotten people who call the district home.
190K Next Goal: New District: Chinatown!
A new City District of Chinese legends and martial arts by Guy Larke Jr.!
Big Trouble In Little China is coming to City of Mist!The most coveted District of all - Chinatown - where the steam rolling in the narrow alleys reveals Kung-Fu legends and wise Taoist monks as they fight haunting spirits and terracotta soldiers right across from the dumpling shop run by "Pigsy" (Journey to the West). This District includes special rules and tag suggestions for martial arts combat!
You can support Nights of Payne Town by sharing it with the world and participating in our social achievements games! Each one of the following goals counts as a single achievement:
(We have taken into account some of the previous project's achievements that have already been unlocked:)
- Retweets: 100 - 150 - 200 - *300* - (309) - 400 - 500
- Facebook Shares: 100 - *150* - (151) - 200
- Reddit Upvotes: (55) - 75 - 100 - 125
- Google+ Shares: (25) - 100 - 150 - 200
- Backers: 1000 - *1500* - 2000
- Comments on Kickstarter Page: *100*
- Concurrent Viewers on Nights of Payne Town Twitch Premiere: 100 - 200 - *300*
- Share your selfie in your favorite real-world City-of-Misty location: (5 submitted) - Unlocked thanks to the hard work of super backer Markus Raab, a friend and a gentleman, who supported CoM since the first Kickstarter!
- Share us your own City of Mist art: 20 (10 submitted)
- Share a photo of your City of Mist cosplay: 5
- Share a video of your group playing City of Mist: 10
- Share a photo of your #DicePorn: *20* !!!
- Share a photo of your City of Mist collection: 20 (7 submitted)
- Share your character concept: *50*
TOTAL ACHIEVEMENTS: 15 !
Here are the rewards all backers will receive based on the above achievements:
- UNLOCKED!!! 2 Achievements! – Small-Time Villain PDF: a free CoM villain and minions based on a legend you will propose
- UNLOCKED!!! 5 Achievements! – City of Mist Locations Art Pack: a collection of 10 hi-res City of Mist location images you can use in your game
- UNLOCKED!!! 8 Achievements! – City of Mist Official Cheat Sheet PDF: all the important rules compacted into a two-sided page
- UNLOCKED!!! 10 Achievements! –City of Mist MC Screen PDF: printable MC screen with everything you need during the game
- UNLOCKED!!! 12 Achievements! – Case Concept Generator: lists of crimes, legends, and modern-day personas that create countless combinations of ideas for investigations.
- UNLOCKED!!! 15 Achievements! Hacking City of Mist PDF by Amit Moshe: learn what makes City of Mist tick and how to hack it for other genres!
Current estimated delivery dates:
- September 2018 - Core Book PDF + Shirts. After the Kickstarter, everyone who pledged for the Player Guide with the MC Toolkit will be sent the current version of the Core Book in PDF. Shirts will be fulfilled by an external service.
- October 2018 - Player Guide and MC Toolkit PDF.
- November 2018 - First Shipping Wave: Player Guide and MC Toolkit in hardcover, and Accessories (the Accessories are ready and are in the process of being reprinted).
- March 2019 - Nights of Payne Town and Shadows & Showdowns PDF.
- April 2019 - Second Shipping Wave: Nights of Payne Town and Shadows & Showdowns in hardcover + any remaining rewards.
This schedule may change based on unlocked stretch goals.
Shipping fees for your rewards are charged when you pledge (by Kickstarter). Shipping fees for add-ons will be charged on the pledge manager (BackerKit) after the campaign ends. Your shipping fees cover adequate packaging, fulfillment center costs, and postage.
EU/UK Friendly: Fulfillment to UK and Europe will be carried out from centers in the UK, so UK and EU backers are not expected to pay any VAT or customs tax.
International shipping fees are estimated. If the actual shipping fees to your destination address significantly exceed what you paid, you may be required to pay the difference before we ship your items.
All PDF items will be fulfilled via DriveThruRPG.
Son of Oak Game Studio is an indie band of game lovers from all over the world who created City of Mist RPG.
- Amit Moshe, game creator, designer, and producer
- Eran Aviram, editor and game design consultant (also creator of ENnie-nominated webcomic Up to Four Players)
- Marcin Soboń, lead artist
- Mariusz Szulc, artist and cartographer
- Manuel Serra Saez, lead graphic designer
- Chema Lopez Centenero, graphic designer
- Juancho Capic, graphic designer
- Sydney Shields, social media and promotion champ
We also want to thank:
- Our publishing partners at Modiphius Entertainment for helping City of Mist reach more players globally!
- Pixel Studio & Creative House for the beautiful campaign video!
We feel lucky to be able to create games for you and we love what we do, so we thank you for your support and hope you enjoy City of Mist!
This project is promoted by Jellop, the ad tech power behind the best Kickstarters with 500+ successful Kickstarter projects with over $235MM raised between them.
Risks and challenges
Son of Oak Game Studio has the talent and know-how to create beautiful RPG books with exciting content as we have shown with City of Mist RPG and its accessories. In the past two years, after hitting many snags along the way, we have gained a lot of experience with planning, development, production, and fulfillment. We also cemented valuable relationships with partners in printing, publishing, shipping, distribution, and fulfillment.
One of the issues a small business faces when growing is scaling and the need to shift responsibilities from few to many. This in part caused some delays with the delivery of some of the first project's items. To improve our capacity to deliver on time, we intend to hire additional writers, artists, and staff, so that products are released on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (18 days)