Have you ever...
- driven off forgetting your garage open or were unsure about it?
- left your garage door open overnight by mistake?
- found yourself without any way to enter your house?
- needed to let somebody into your house when you were not there or were unable to get the door at that moment?
By addressing these situations, Garadget offers peace of mind, convenience and security.
Why you’ll love Garadget
How it works
Please note that Garadget in the described here version is not equipped with an audible and visual warning system indicating a pending motion before the door starts moving as required for UL325 certification. Softcomplex is not assuming responsibility for your decision to use Garadget without this feature.
What's in the box
Everything needed to set up Garadget comes in a neat package. Just add your garage door, smartphone and WiFi network.
- 1x Garadget controller
- 1x USB power adapter
- 1x micro-USB cable
- 2x reflective tags
- 2x adhesive pads
- 2ft wire
- 1x screw driver
- QR code for iPhone and Android apps download
Setting up Garadget
Simple installation was one of the primary design goals for Garadget. Intricate sensor wiring and complex router setup is replaced with simply attaching the sticker to the door and answering a few questions in the mobile app.
How we got here
Hi, I'm Denis - creator of Garadget. I have a long history of developing software and hardware professionally and as a hobby.
The story of Garadget starts with me forgetting to close my garage door overnight and having to deal with the nasty mice situation the following days. After several more garage induced headaches and extensive market research, I traded most of my spare time and personal budget for the excitement of designing a new product.
Countless hours of electrical engineering, 3D design and coding were followed by field testing and a long trip to Asia to make manufacturing arrangements for Garadget.
Today the work continues on improved versions of mobile apps, but there is no doubt that Garadget's design is solid and it can be delivered as promised.
Rewards and timeline
Our specialty is technology, not t-shirts. Without the cost and distraction of purchasing and shipping promotional items, we will be able to focus on fulfillment and further R&D. All physical rewards include FREE shipping worldwide.
Please note the possibility of shipping to any country outside North America and Canada may be delayed or cancelled depending on the feasibility of local product approval or import regulations. In the case of cancellation, we will refund your pledge. There may be additional duties, fees or taxes imposed by the authorities in your country. You may need to cover these fees when receiving the shipment.
Shipping Garadget to our backers is not the final goal, it's just a milestone. We are excited about all the things Garadget can do, systems it can work with and projects it can be used in. Among our ideas:
- Software Integration with wearables (iWatch, Android wear, Pebble)
- Integration with home automation boxes (Micasa Vera, Smartthings, Wink etc)
- Integration with voice control (Echo/Alexa, Siri, Android)
- Windows phone app
- Improved web based interface with SMS and Email notifications
- Temporary and limited access accounts
- Cloud-less option (LAN only mode)
- MFi, Apple HomeKit compatibility
- Variety of environment sensors and other hardware extensions
We'll ask you, our backers, about what's most important to you so we can deliver new great features you'll love.
Any trademarks or trade names above mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
- STM32F205 120Mhz ARM Cortex M3
- 128KB RAM
- 1MB flash + 1MB SPI Flash
- Broadcom BCM43362 Wi-Fi chip
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
- 5mW 650nm laser
- I2C bus or 2 x GPIO extensions connector
- 5V, less than 100mA typical consumption
- FCC, CE and IC certified
- Real-time operating system (FreeRTOS)
- Soft AP WiFi setup
- Open Cloud API using REST protocol
- iPhone app (iOS8+)
- Android app (Android 4.x+)
- Web interface
Although designed as an easy-to-use consumer product, Garadget is also a great tinkering platform for those of us who like to peek under the hood. Integrate it with your RaspberyPi or Arduino project, monitor objects with its laser, re-flash it to do something entirely different and share your project with the community.
In its core Garadget uses the Photon module from the great folks at Particle and benefits from all the development tools and support materials created for the module:
- Well documented cloud API using REST protocol
- iOS, Android and Node.js SDKs, CLI command line interface
- Over-the-air, USB and JTAG firmware upload
- Web based Arduino-like development environment
- Extension I2C bus or 2xGPIO powered connector
Risks and challenges
Before placing our reputation on the line, we made considerable effort to ensure that Garadget can be delivered to our backers by:
- creating working prototypes of all of the hardware and critical software
- performing field testing in various environments
- consulting professionals
- making manufacturing arrangements
- having required expertise and understanding EVERY aspect of the system
To the best of our knowledge there are no engineering, manufacturing, financial or regulatory obstacles that would make Garadget impossible to deliver as described here. That being said, we should still consider the possibility of delays stemming from unexpected:
- supply chain issues
- personal situations
- cloud service related complications
- additional certification requirements
- additional "must have" feature requests
- logistical issues outside of our control
The proposed fulfillment timeline allows extra time for handling of such situations, but we appreciate your understanding and patience in the unlikely event of delays.
Thanks again for all your support! We are looking forward to delivering the garage door controller that will improve your daily life.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)