** INTERNATIONAL SUBSCRIBERS ** We will ship all print subscriptions to international buyers even though our pledge levels mention "USA ONLY". Costs for shipping are $2.00/Issue to Canada, $2.75/Issue to Mexico and $3.50/Issue anywhere else in the world. International subscribers will be billed for any additional postage upon the close of our campaign. This can be paid via Paypal or by Credit Card.
Make a pledge using Paypal! CHECK OUT OUR PAYPAL PAGE!
PAYPAL TOTAL: $126 (as of 12:00 PM PDT, Fri 11/1/13)
All money accepted through PayPal will go towards our stretch goals, and we will update the community on the amount we are able to raise.
FINAL 24 HOURS! We are streaming LIVE XCOM for a 24-hour campaign ending marathon. Come on in - CLICK HERE! RETRO Publisher Mike Kennedy will be popping in and out for magazine questions or to just chat about RETRO gaming.
WELCOME TO RETRO:
Do you long for the great video gaming magazines from back in the day? Magazines with some heart and soul without all the big media fluff? We sure do, and that is why video game auction site GameGavel.com and the RetroGamingRoundup.com podcast decided to team up with some of the most popular and influential gaming journalists and personalities from the past three decades to introduce an independent print, digital and online publication dedicated to the past, present and future of the video gaming pastime that will hearken back to the amazing magazines from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.
ABOUT THE MAGAZINE:
RETRO will be offered in BOTH digital and print editions and published bi-monthly starting January 2014, but Kickstarter backers will receive their copy of the premiere issue in December!
- Each issue will be a minimum of 52 pages on high-quality gloss print with a thick stock cover, utilizing a maximum of 4 pages for ads.
- ALL PRINT subscriptions will include the digital enhanced versions free!
WHAT WE PLAN TO COVER:
RETRO will feature coverage of games from every era, including classic gaming systems, current and next generation consoles and upcoming independently funded projects, with an emphasis on:
- Extensive retrospectives on classic consoles and the games (and ill-fated add-ons) that made them famous.
- RETRO reviews of classic games across countless genres.
- Reviews of current generation products with a focus on franchise reboots, games with classic licensing tie-ins and modern games that build on 8, 16 and 32-bit gaming's core principles.
- In-depth interviews with modern-day icons, our industry's founding fathers and up-and-coming developers of games with old-school sensibilities.
- Roundtable discussions with some of gaming's most respected personalities, including RETRO's own panel of revered contributors.
- Monthly "Top 10"-style features on the best games, consoles and moments in gaming history.
- In-depth news regarding the latest reboots, industry icons getting back into the business, hot indie games and Kickstarter projects and a dash of current generation information
- Lifestyle pieces on gaming gear, industry conventions, licensing tie-ins other entertainment mediums and other random nerdiness.
- Columns from some of the industry's top journalists, developers and video game personalities.
- Extensive guides and game-busting cheats on those titles you still never got around to beating.
- Reader interaction and feedback via polls, reader mail, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.
TELL US WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE IN RETRO:
While we have our main feature set mapped out, we will be sending a poll to our subscribers at the end of the Kickstarter campaign to gather your input.
RETRO'S ALL-STAR CONTRIBUTORS: Never before has a video gaming magazine or website assembled an All-Star team of writers and personalities like RETRO! RETRO contributors consist of many of your favorite gaming journalists and personalities from the past three decades. No matter what decade you grew up gaming, you will know someone on the RETRO team!
Our contributors will be creating new columns for you to enjoy with complete editorial and creative freedom and without the normal, big media constraints and red-tape. Just like us, you will have to wait for the premier issue to see what your favorite writers have in store.
Let the team introductions commence:
OUR $50,000 GOAL: This is the minimum amount required by us to fund the publishing for the first year of RETRO (6 issues of the magazine). The January 2014 will be the first issue produced once the funding goal has been reached.
INTRODUCING THE NEW FANBOY PLEDGE TIER!
This just added Pledge Tier Includes a Limited Run Unisex Jersey Short-Sleeve T-Shirt 4.2 oz., 100% combed and ringspun cotton jersey; Shoulder taping; High quality comfort and style; Sizes XS-3XL. FANBOY TIER backers will be contacted upon the close of the campaign to confirm desired T-Shirt Size. In addition, FANBOY PLEDGERS will also receive the 18" x 24" Limited Edition Premier Issue Cover Poster + Two Vinyl RETRO Bumperstickers + Your Name Mentioned in our Premier Issue as a Top-Level Supporter! This level is limited to only 100 so get it while you can.
GET YOUR GAME OR PRODUCT IN FRONT OF OUR READERS: Are you a video game publisher, developer or hardware manufacturer and want your product discussed and reviewed by RETRO in a future issue? Contact our Publisher and Editor, Mike Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forwards to talking with you.
ADVERTISE IN RETRO: We have special Pledge Rewards for advertisers. If you want to get your product, website or service in front of a gamer demographic then check out our Advertiser Pledge Rewards. There is very limited space up for grabs, first come first served!
RETRO will be printed on premium quality recycled paper with soy based inks.
The creative for RETRO will be provided by the award winning graphics team from themagicgraphics.com
USA Subscribers: Shipping costs for PRINT magazines are included within the print subscription pledge amounts. There are no additional shipping charges.
International Subscribers: Even though some of our reward levels say "Ships to USA Only" we will ship to International backers. We will send you an additional invoice payable via Paypal OR Credit Card for International Shipping. We will use the least expensive rate possible. You will be contacted after the campaign ends to make this adjustment. Thank you for your support!
Risks and challenges
We have structured this campaign to be successful with very achievable goals and deliverables. That was a big part in choosing to do a bi-monthly format. But there are risks with any new venture and we would be lying if we said this venture was risk free. All we can do is promise our backers the highest quality in both content and magazine layout, design and printing. Our writing team has agreed to come on board for the long haul, but due to their terms and the fact they are providing their work within a "freelance" model, there is always a slim chance a writer will have to opt out at some point to fulfill other full time obligations that may arise during the publication of RETRO. If a writer has to leave we will seek out similar well-known and popular replacements and add them to the RETRO team.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)