There's No Place Like Home: The Return of the Ruby Slippers!
Happy October, #KeepThemRuby friends!
It's official: we're not in Kansas (or the Conservation Lab) anymore!
Sparkling brightly after nearly 200 hours of conservation work made possible by you, the Ruby Slippers return on October 19 to be the centerpiece of their own special gallery on the third floor of the National Museum of American History. We're getting ready to welcome them back, Lollipop Guild style!
If you're planning to visit the National Museum of American History on October 19 or 20, we have some exciting activities planned!
- Follow the vivid mural created by the No Kings Collective studio—and watch out for giant poppies—to the brand-new gallery, where you’ll find Dorothy’s shoes in their new state-of-the-art case that will help ensure they keep their sparkle for generations to come. And keep an eye out for for two other The Wizard of Oz artifacts!
- Wear your red shoes and best The Wizard of Oz-inspired outfit and join us for a group photo near the Ruby Slippers gallery celebrating the slippers at 12:30 p.m. on both days.
- Share your Wizard of Oz memories on our Talk Back Boards in the Ruby Slippers gallery and bask in a little nostalgia with fellow Oz fans.
- Our Warner Bros. Theater will be showing The Wizard of Oz on October 19-21. Catch the beloved movie at 1:50 p.m. or 4:10 p.m. each day.
- Can't get enough? Explore our eight new American culture displays, which also open as part of the new third floor, and don't forget to pay a visit to the 1937 Technicolor camera used to bring the dazzling colors of Oz to life on the big screen, currently on display in "Places of Invention" on 1 West.
- Put a bow on your day by visiting our new Ruby Slippers store and enjoying a treat in our cafes—a Ruby Red Velvet Cupcake will make you feel as if you've truly gone over the rainbow!
- Not ready to fall asleep in a field of poppies? Continue the celebration Friday night, October 19 with a jazz concert in our new Hall of Music!
Can't visit this October? You can still join the celebration! Make sure to follow the National Museum of American History on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. You can also send us a photo of you wearing your favorite pair of red shoes or decked out as your favorite The Wizard of Oz character, or just holding a sign that lets everyone know "I Helped #KeepThemRuby!" You might be featured in an upcoming update! Email your photo to email@example.com.
We'll be sure to keep you updated on everything this month as we celebrate the return of everyone's favorite pair of shoes. After all, it's also a celebration of you for making this possible!