About this project
May 2010, my wife, Janelle, and I began our project we have named, Committed. We are trying to be the first people ever to climb all the routes listed in the historic book, Fifty Classic Climbs of North America. We are documenting the highs and lows that arise from being thrown into a harsh dangerous mountain environment with our spouse. That breathtaking footage is then shared via our web series.
Since April 2008, we have completed 36 of the 50 Classic Climbs! It has taken us from Colorado to Alaska to Alberta and back again. From these climbs we have produced 26 videos, currently posted on our site.
The last two years of Committed has been 90% funded by our life savings, and 10% by generous friends and family. Now, we are faced with two harsh realities:
1. Our life savings has been spent.
2. The remaining climbs are major expeditions that cost a significant amount of money (transportation, permits, provisions, and equipment).
Until now, the only way you could be involved with this major undertaking was by watching the web series videos. Now, through the help of Kickstarter, you can join the team and help us be the first to achieve this lofty goal.
Big Plans for 2012
From May thru September we will return to Alaska, Canada, and California to climb the following huge mountains:
1. Mt. Huntington via the Harvard Route, Alaska
2. Denali via the Cassin Ridge (highest mountain in North America), Alaska
3. Mt Waddington via the South Face, British Columbia, Canada
4. Mt Robson via the Wishbone Arete, British Columbia, Canada
5. Mt St Elias via the Abruzzi Ridge, Alaska
6. Mt Alberta via the Japanese Route, Alberta, Canada
7. Mt Edith Cavell via the North Face, Alberta, Canada
8. El Capitan via the Salathe Wall, Yosemite NP, California
Your donation will be wisely used to cover the many expenses of the Committed. From transportation to permits to editing, it adds up quickly. As climbers, we have become Jedi Masters in the art of value shopping. The rewards listed on the right are intended to be a "thank you" for your support. If you have an idea for a new reward, we are all ears (email below).
Example of the previous webisodes:
We Need Your Help
Kickstarter is the coolest, most credible, online fundraising platform in the world. The way it works:
1. Become a "Backer" by donating a certain amount of money.
2. Your level of donation will dictate what cool "rewards" you will receive directly from us, the Smileys. Rewards are listed in the right column of this page.
3. If we do not reach our goal of $25,000 Kickstarter will not give us any of your donations, and the money will be returned to you. It's all or nothing!
4. The goal of $25,000 can be exceeded! If that happens the quality of the final product will increase in quality, as we will be able to leverage the extra funding for a higher caliber production.
Rewards for You:
-Visit our photo gallery at www.smileysproject.com to see what photos you would like to receive.
-If you have any questions about the rewards please send me an email.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions: email@example.com
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (41 days)