About this project
Extra SmartThings for all! See Update 16 for details.
YOUR WORLD, SMARTER
SmartThings makes it easy to connect the things in your physical world to the Internet. You can monitor, control, automate, and have fun with them from anywhere - at home, office, or on the go.
We've made it possible to install apps that interact with your SmartThings, as well as online and other services. This unlocks a world of possibilities and and unlimited potential to make your life easier, more convenient and fun.
We call these SmartApps.
SMARTAPP POTENTIAL IS LIMITLESS
SmartApps are able to mash up and interact with connected things in your physical world, as well as online and other services, allowing for incredible creativity.
- Get notified immediately if your pet runs out of your yard without you with the "Oh No, My Pet Is Loose!" SmartApp.
- Get an early warning or directly contact a plumber when there is a leak somewhere (bathroom, basement), before damage gets out of hand with the “It’s Leaking!” SmartApp.
- Monitor drawers and cabinets that contain precious or dangerous items with the "My Stuff is Secure" SmartApp.
- Brighten, dim, or flicker the lights when you get another fan or follower on social networks with the “Buzz Barometer" SmartApp.
Even more SmartApps...
IT WORKS WITH A LOT OF THINGS
Think about all the things in your home: doors, desks, lights, stereo, pet food bowls, basement floor... isn’t it time they started to chip in and do a little more around the house on their own? SmartThings makes it possible.
We built SmartThings as an open platform, because we knew there would be a world of useful, beautiful and creative products that could be made smarter with SmartThings.
Today, we’re thrilled to announce a unique partnership between two Kickstarter projects - SmartThings and Instacube - that shows the power of this integration and collaboration. Together, we're making Instacube smart.
We will be working with the creators of Instacube to integrate the SmartThings technology - imagine the possibilities:
- Elegant, visual notifications for the events in your life that matter most, including someone arriving at your door, your pet leaving, or a reminder that you’ve left the garage door open right before you head to bed - without taking your phone out of your pocket.
- A beautiful, touchscreen interface for controlling the physical world around you, such as your lights, doors or air conditioning
- The presence awareness of SmartThings can drive Instacube to turn on or off and to display the photo stream of the user who is present enabling many intelligent interactions.
- Integrated SmartApps such as “Morning Routine” that can turn Instacube on as an alarm, get the coffee brewing, and turn on the bathroom lights
If you love SmartThings, please consider backing Instacube.
Many of the existing things you own can be made smarter using SmartThings Kits. At launch, the following core devices will be available:
- Power Outlet - anything that can be plugged in, can be turned on and off
- Open/Shut Sensor - know if doors, windows or cabinets are open or closed
- Motion Sensor - detect movement within a room
- Presence Sensor - know when people and pets come and go
SmartThings are designed to be compatible with many of the existing standards for home automation, smart energy and more. There are literally hundreds of existing sensors and devices you can use. And with your support, many more of these devices will be certified for use and made available in the SmartThings Store.
- Door Locks
- Temperature and Humidity Sensors
- In-Wall Switches and Dimmers
- Smoke and CO Alarms
- Moisture and Flood Sensors
- Vibration and Pressure Sensors
- And much more
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
You can help bring SmartThings to the world. We’ve highlighted a few of the backer levels below, including:
- Earlybird and Non-Earlybird SmartThings Packs in a handful of flavors (choose one) that will give you everything you need to get started including the SmartThings Hub and a selection of connected Things.
- Your SmartThings Pack will also include access to a range of SmartApps that you can use to start making your world smarter within minutes.
- SmartThings Pack backers will receive early access to the ThingStore to expand your world of connected things at will.
- SmartThings Pack backers will also receive an invitation to suggest new SmartApps and types of Things and to vote on submissions from the community of developers and makers.
- UPDATE: You can now add as many additional Things to your reward as you would like. See Update 7 for details.
Note: SmartThings Packs will support a variety of connectivity methods, including Ethernet, cellular, Zigbee, Z-wave, and Bluetooth. The initial launch units will be U.S. only, and may or may not include cellular connectivity.
If you’re a developer or Maker, SmartThings is an open platform and we’ve got a whole program just for you.
Developer and Maker Kits
We're giving the more adventurous among us early access to all the SmartThings tools. All Makers and Developers backer levels come with...
- 1 SmartThings Hub
- Either 3 SmartThings (developers) or 2 SmartThing Modules or Shields for Arduino (makers)
- Software Development Kit (SDK) - everything you need to develop SmartThings-friendly software
- Cloud Platform API - integrate your device or app directly with SmartThings,
- Mobile App Extension Template - embed controls for your project in the SmartThings mobile app
- A whole lot of love!
...AND EVEN MORE WAYS TO HELP!
Want to do even more to make the world smarter?
Share the SmartThings story. We know not everyone can kick in, but if you believe in the SmartThings vision, please "Like" this Kickstarter page, Tweet about us, Pin us, and email all your friends. While you're at it, visit SmartThings on Facebook and "Like" us there too! :)
Donate your brain to science. Every day our team, spouses, partners, and friends come up with interesting, fun, helpful (and occasionally bizarre) new ways to apply SmartThings and SmartApps. We want everyone in the community to share their ideas. Just go to the Comments section and tell us how you envision making your life smarter.
DEVELOPERS: HACK THE PHYSICAL WORLD
We want to free physical devices from the iron grip of the few who understand the ins and outs of firmware. That's why SmartThings will be a completely open platform. Our core mission for SmartApps is to enable developers to unleash their creativity in the real world just as easily as they have been able to on the web and mobile devices.
There are two paths to creating new SmartApps. Basic, and Advanced.
- At the Basic level, you can generate new SmartApps using a web based interface with full access to existing triggers and available actions within the SmartThings cloud.
- At the Advanced level, we are creating and exposing an SDK for the physical world of non-smart devices — enabling them to plug into the digital one and become smart.
We give your front door an API. We give your bed an API. We give your toilet an API... your imagination is the only limit.
- We are working hard to make sure that our APIs are both straightforward and secure. You can use your preferred development language and tools to do amazing things with the physical graph that SmartThings is bringing online.
- We are ready to integrate with all of your favorite web services.
The uses are endless, so don’t be shy. Let’s work together to make the physical world smarter.
A SPECIAL NOTE FOR MAKERS
We’ve got dozens of ideas to share for how to make our lives smarter, but we're also eager to hear yours. Tell us about them in the Comments section.
But, if you’re handy with a soldering iron, know that a breadboard isn’t just for cutting Rye, can casually slip Arduino into daily conversation, and are ready to hack your own physical world, we’re ready to support you. For you makers and open hardware buffs, we’ve got:
- SmartThings ThingModule - add cloud intelligence to any device
- SmartThings ThingShield and Sketch for Arduino - make your existing project smarter
- SmartThings Software Development Kit (SDK) - develop SmartThings-friendly software
- Cloud Platform API - integrate your device or app directly with SmartThings
- Mobile App Extension Template - embed controls for your project in the SmartThings mobile app
Tell us about your project and we’ll help you bring it to the world.
We currently have working prototypes of the key hardware and software components of the SmartThings Packs that you are backing as part of this Kickstarter project, including the hub, end-devices, maker tools, cloud platform, and mobile app.
Here is our timeline for putting SmartThings into your hands:
- Final stage of design and certification process for SmartThings Hub, Packs, and Maker tools
- Certification completed for SmartThings Packs
- Injection molding and final packaging design
- Volume manufacturing of SmartThings Packs (Hubs and Things)
- Distribution - Kickstarter backers get their SmartThings Packs
- SDK ready for Developers and Makers
- SmartThings Mobile App available including SmartApps
MEET THE FOUNDERS
The SmartThings founders share a vision: A product experience that is beautiful, functional, fast and revolutionary. We can’t wait to get SmartThings into your hands. Reach out to us in the Comments section if you want to speak with any of us directly.
HISTORY AND EVOLUTION
There were two major “aha moments” that inspired us to develop SmartThings.
Like most innovation, SmartThings started with a flooded basement. During a power outage, the pipes at Alex’s cabin froze and burst, flooding the basement. In looking for options to get notified about temperature drops and flooding, it became clear that available solutions required a separate Internet connection. Even if the cabin had one, it would have shut off in the power outage.
So the concept of ‘it just works’ for SmartThings was born. We built a platform that easily connects everyday things to the Internet. Our vision is to include always-on cellular connectivity in every SmartThings Hub, so you just take it out of the box, plug it in, and it’s connected. Even better, when you buy new devices, what we call Things, from the ThingStore, they’ll be pre-assigned to your SmartThings Hub. Plug them in or turn them on, they show up in the app, and you’re immediately in control.
Our real inspiration came when we realized how intelligent everything in our lives could become through the power of computing in the cloud - SmartApps were born. Installing applications into your real life should be as easy as it is on your phone. SmartApps let you combine schedules, events, notifications, information from the Internet and many sensors and devices to create useful solutions that make life easier and more fun.
Support this project
- (30 days)