Spyke and Flower are munchkins - adventurers whose sole purpose in life is to kill monsters, take their stuff, and level up... so they can kill more monsters and take more stuff. In this alternate timeline, they’ve come to the Red Dragon Inn to see what’s up at this tavern that they’ve heard so much about...
- The Good: The tavern's new patrons are eager to make a good impression.
- The Bad: It isn't working.
The Red Dragon Inn: Allies - Spyke and Flower is our first stand-alone Allies expansion, letting two players drink, brawl and gamble the night away to prove that they are the best munchkin around. It contains everything you need to play the game, including a brand new Drink Deck as well as a new automated third-player game variant. So play head to head with a friend, or combine this game with any of our other The Red Dragon Inn sets for parties of 3 or more players.
If this is your first time joining us, we suggest you check out our introduction to The Red Dragon Inn series linked to the banner above. For those of you rejoining the party, welcome back!
Unlike our normal mini expansions, The Red Dragon Inn: Allies - Spyke and Flower adds a treasure trove of new content to the game:
- Stand-alone Expansion: That's right! You don't need any other RDI product to play with these two characters! Of course you can still mix and match with all of our other characters!
- Two New Characters: Two alternate reality characters have been shamelessly pilfered (i.e. "legally contracted") from the world of Steve Jackson Games' Munchkin! Spyke and Flower join the party with a unique, shared mechanic! If you would like to get a preview of these characters, you can join our Tabletop Simulator play test group here.
- New Drink Deck: A new, 30-card Drink Deck is included in the box with 6 brand new, Munchkin-riffic cards!
- Otto Game Variant: Want to try head-to-head RDI in a whole new way? Well then Otto's for you! Our mechanical third wheel will be joining you in all the tavern mayhem with its own modular deck of surprises!
- Prize Variant: Instead of a promo drink card (since the new drink deck already includes 6 brand new ones!) we are including a Prize Card. Prizes are an exciting way to spice up a Round of Gambling by providing players with a significant reward for winning the round.
- Munchkin Bookmark: Since we have worlds colliding, why not offer a bit of cross promotion? This set will include a new Munchkin bookmark to be used in the Munchkin series of games.
All of this content is unlocked and included in the game at launch! No need for Stretch Goals or add-ons. Our Kickstarter fans have routinely been so generous that we feel it's only appropriate to offer everyone as complete a game as we can from the get-go. So instead of stringing folks along with updates on new Stretch Goals and funding milestones, we're running a tight, short campaign and will be fully divulging all the details of the content in the following updates:
- 3/24 - Meet Spyke and Flower!
- 3/27 - What Treasure and Leveling?
- 3/30 - Meet Otto!
- 4/3 - Drinks, Prizes and Bookmarks! Oh my!
The Red Dragon Inn: Allies - Spyke and Flower, developed by Jeff Morrow and Sam Waller. Illustrated by Erin Wong, is scheduled for release Summer 2018.
You may be asking yourselves: "How did Spyke and Flower come to find themselves at the Red Dragon Inn?" We are happy to announce that SlugFest Games and Steve Jackson Games have smashed our heads together to create two great new products sharing content from our two great games. While we've transported Spyke and Flower from Munchkin, Steve Jackson Games have borrowed a selection of our legendary brews and a host of our characters.
Munchkin: The Red Dragon Inn is a 29-card expansion to Munchkin providing you with some familiar "Monsters" to slay, Treasure to loot, and Drinks to consume (a new variant of One-Shot cards). This pack will also include a brand new Prize Card for use in The Red Dragon Inn series of games! That means if you get both The Red Dragon Inn: Allies - Spyke and Flower and Munchkin: The Red Dragon Inn you will have two different Prize Cards to play with!
Munchkin: The Red Dragon Inn, developed by Andrew Hackard and illustrated by Tom Siddell, is scheduled for release Summer 2018.
We have some very important information for backers regarding shipping options for the various Pledge Levels. This info is divided into two broad categories of backers:
- Backers from the US and Canada: Shipping will be US and Canada friendly and will ship from within your local region. If you would like additional copies of either product added to your reward, simply over-pledge either $25 for each extra Allies and/or $10 for each extra Munchkin set. As long as you are getting at least one copy of the Allies set, you can add any number of additional copies of either product to your rewards.
- International Backers: Backers from outside of the US and Canada can pledge at any pledge level, however, we are offering a special deal for backers who want to save on some shipping. If you can get together with your friends and scoop up four copies of each of the two products, you can benefit from a greatly reduced shipping rate. Please note that due to package weight thresholds, we cannot offer this shipping option to backers who want only two or three sets. If you would like five or more sets, you simply need to over-pledge $35 for each additional set of Allies and Munchkin. Unfortunately you cannot opt to add individual products at this pledge level. For more information, check out the FAQ section below.
We want your feedback! If playing unreleased content with SlugFest Games staff sounds like fun (and it is!) we would love to have you join our digital playtest group. We meet every day to play Red Dragon Inn on the excellent digital game table Tabletop Simulator. If you would like to join us on Discord and play a few sessions all you need to do is fill out this signup form.
To qualify for our playtest group you will need a copy of Tabletop Simulator and the ability to voice chat on Discord (microphones are necessary, headsets preferred). Our playtest managers host sessions every day and are always excited to welcome newcomers.
Not only will you get to see Spyke, Flower and Otto in action, but you'll also get a chance to play with other upcoming characters, mechanics and games. We always have something we are tinkering on!
Kickstarter campaigns thrive on your engagement on social media. Follow us to get the inside scoop on upcoming playtest event days, convention schedules and other fun announcements. You can follow us at these fine websites:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SlugFestGames/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SlugFestGames
- Boardgame Geek: SlugFest Games Home on Boardgame Geek
As an added bonus, here's a fancy avatar for use as a profile photo:
Interested in picking up some of our other games? Then head on over to SlugFestGames.com where you can get all of our games right now! Best of all, we are offering free domestic shipping on all orders placed during the campaign!
Risks and challenges
We would like to start off by addressing the elephant in the room: Yes, we are launching a campaign while the BFGP campaign is in fulfillment and the RDI7 campaign is wrapping development. We have an extremely aggressive release schedule this year, and the announcement of RDI: Allies - Spyke and Flower needed to be kept under wraps until now. To help alleviate some concerns you may have about our workload, here is the status of our active campaigns (including this one):
Battle for Greyport Pirates: BFGP's original delivery date was estimated for June. We are actually shipping rewards to backers in the next couple of weeks, well ahead of schedule.
Red Dragon Inn 7: RDI7 was estimated to deliver in September, and is still on schedule. Mechanically, the game is done (you can play it right now in our PT Group), and we are just working with our artists to finish the layout and artwork for the game.
Spyke and Flower: We are nearly finished with the artwork and layout for both character decks and the Treasure deck. Playtesting for Spyke, Flower, the new Drink Deck, Prizes and Otto are in their final stages. Development-wise, Spyke and Flower are parallel with RDI7.
We have confidence that our track record of successfully delivered projects speaks for itself. However, we realize that backing campaigns for a publisher who has rewards yet to deliver can make folks feel uneasy. If you feel uncomfortable backing, we still appreciate your input, and will be excited to see what you think of the game when it's on store shelves.
Finally, some legal since Spyke and Flower are the property of our buddies at Steve Jackson Games:
Munchkin, the Munchkin characters, and the pyramid logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Steve Jackson Games Incorporated, used under license by SlugFest Games. All rights reserved.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)