About this project
The Red Dragon Inn is a fast-paced, light-hearted card game for 2 or more players.
You and your adventuring companions have spent all day slogging through the dungeon, killing monsters and taking their stuff. Now you’re back in town, healed up, cleaned up, and ready to party at the Red Dragon Inn.
Drink, gamble, and roughhouse with your friends. But don’t forget to keep an eye on your Gold. If you run out, you’ll have to spend the night in the stables. Oh… and try not to get too beaten up or too drunk. If you black out, your friends will continue the party without you… after they loot your body for Gold of course! The last conscious adventurer with Gold wins the game!
The Red Dragon Inn is a modular game with standalone Base Sets and single-character Ally expansions. You can mix and match characters from any of them so you can have the party composition of your choice! Each of the 3 Base Sets includes 4 unique characters, a drink deck, gold pieces, and all the parts for 2-4 players to play right out of the box. Each of the Allies expansions includes a character deck as well as gold pieces and bits so you can add another character to a Base Set (thus making a 2-4 player collection 2-5 players).
Follow the banner below to learn more about the Red Dragon Inn family of games.
You can learn how to play The Red Dragon Inn from the awesome guys over at Team Hypercube!
Update! To help alleviate any confusion over how to ensure that you get all of the new stuff featured in this campaign, we’ve put together the following info-graphic. It combines the Add-On Reward costs, as well as the shipping costs for international backers.
To reiterate: to earn The Red Dragon Inn:4, Cormac the Mighty, Witchdoctor Natyli, and all 4 of the promo drinks:
- Backers in the United States must pledge $47.50 and select the Welcome to the Party Reward Level.
- Backers in Canada and Mexico must pledge $62.50 and select the Welcome to the Party Reward Level.
- Backers elsewhere in the world must pledge $77.50 and select the Welcome to the Party Reward Level.
Backers who are at the Improved Initiative Reward Level are already receiving RDI:4, Cormac, Natyli, and all the promo drinks.
Backers who are at the Whole Party Reward Level are already receiving RDI:4, Cormac, Natyli, and all the promo drinks, in addition to RDI:1, RDI:2, RDI:3, Pooky the Vicious, and Erin the Ever-Changing.
Backers who are at the Retailer Level 2 Reward Level are already receiving 10 copies of RDI:4, 2 copies of Cormac, 2 copies of Natyli, and 2 packs of the promo drinks.
Coming this fall to a gaming table near you: The Red Dragon Inn: 4, a new Base Set with 4 nautically-themed characters. These characters are the crew of the Crimson Drake, a sturdy sailing vessel that our heroes use when their adventures take them to sea. Of course, it can be combined with any previous Red Dragon Inn sets to allow for larger games and new match-ups!
SlugFest Games is a small publisher in a small industry. Even though we have been making games for over a decade now, there are still high risks associated with each new project. As a result, we have been forced to print relatively small runs of our games, usually only 5,000 copies at a time, and this has prevented us from ensuring that our game is available year-round. Long-time fans of our games know that when we sell out, it can take us up to 6 months to get back into stock again, and that isn’t groovy for them or the friendly local game stores that carry our products. Your support will go directly into covering the costs of a larger print run of The Red Dragon Inn: 4 so we can ensure that everyone gets a copy!
With Kickstarter we gain the following advantages:
- The infusion of cash we get from backers significantly reduces the amount we have to spend out of our war chest to print new games.
- The number of backers we get gives us critically important data about how many copies we should print. (Over-printing and under-printing are both really bad for us!)
- Stretch goals allow us to add more cool stuff to the project (more on this below).
Put these all together and it means that we can spend more effort making the games you want to play, and less effort worrying about whether our games will sell.
Stretch Goals are additional rewards that we will be able to provide based on the total amount of funding we receive for this campaign.
Unlocked! $20,000: The Sea Event Deck is an optional addition to The Red Dragon Inn. The Sea Deck is full of at sea encounters to spice up the game. Every copy of The Red Dragon Inn: 4 will come with the Sea Event Deck. You can find out more about the Sea Event Deck on Update #1.
Unlocked! $40,000: Cormac the Mighty will be printed for Summer 2013 (rather than being on hold till 2014). Backers at the “Welcome to the party” pledge level can add Cormac to their reward by pledging an additional $12.50. Improved Initiative and Whole Party backers will receive a free copy of Cormac the Mighty. Find out more about the Cormac in Update #3.
Unlocked! $60,000: Witchdoctor Natyli will be printed for Summer 2013 (rather than being on hold till 2014). All backers who are receiving Cormac the Mighty will also receive Witchdoctor Natyli for free! Find out more about Natyli in Update #11.
$75,000: We have set out to achieve all we wanted in this campaign, but there are still stories left untold! The SFG guys will post bi-monthly stories and adventures with each of the characters until you have had a chance to meet with each of them. Includes the adventures that founded the party as well as introduced their more colorful cast of monstrous player characters!
Add-On Rewards are additional games or other Red Dragon Inn products that you may purchase if your your pledge level already includes at least a copy of The Red Dragon Inn: 4 (that means Improved Initiative Backers and higher!).
You can add them to your pledge by going to your "Manage My Pledge" button on the top right, and increasing your pledge. Add the cost of any and all of your Add-On Rewards to your current Reward Level, and submit that new total as your pledge amount. When the campaign is over, we will ask you what Add-On Rewards you added to your Pledge, and when The Red Dragon Inn: 4 ships, you will receive all of your Add-On Rewards as well. Add-On Rewards include U.S. Domestic shipping!
International backers will need to increase their pledge level by an additionl $5 for each Add-On Reward they add to their pledge. This is a flat increase for each item regardless of whether it's heading to Mexico or Zimbabwe!
Example: A Welcome to the Party! backer and wants to add a copy of The Red Dragon Inn 2 to their pledge. They must click on the "Manage My Pledge" button on the upper right. Once there, they'll need to increase their pledge level from $40 to $75 ($40 for the Welcome to the Party! pledge level + $35 for the Red Dragon Inn 2 Add-On Reward).
Example: If the example backer lived in Canada, they would also need to add international shipping to their pledge. They would follow the same steps as above, but instead increase their pledge from $40 to $90 ($50 for the Welcome to the Party! pledge level with $10 of international shipping + $40 for the Red Dragon Inn 2 Add-On Reward with $5 of international shipping).
That's it! Remember, we'll contact you at the end of the campaign to make sure you get the right Add-On Rewards.
Some special notes about two of our Add-On Rewards:
- The Red Dragon Inn: Gambling? I'm in! includes the rules for nine different card games inspired by the world of The Red Dragon Inn, plus the specialized Rogues and Warriors Deck required to play them. These games can be played on their own, or combined with the Red Dragon Inn board game, adding a new twist to a Round of Gambling! To find out more, and to download the rulebook, check out the game page here.
- The Red Dragon Inn: Guide to Inns and Taverns is a detailed, Pathfinder Compatible sourcebook that provides you with the ultimate toolbox for designing taverns and NPCs, as well as drinking and carousing in a fantasy inn or tavern. To find out more, check out our previous Kickstarter Campaign here.
SlugFest Games has been selling games through distribution for more than a decade, and we are extremely grateful to the friendly local game stores that carry our products.
To show our support, we are offering two pledge levels which will only be available to brick and mortar retail stores. These two levels are:
- Retailer Level 1: These backers receive 3 copies of The Red Dragon Inn: 4 at a discounted rate, about 45% off of retail. This pledge level includes free US Domestic shipping. International backers in Canada and Mexico will need to add $25 to their pledge for international shipping and handling. International backers elsewhere will need to add $45 to their pledge.
- Retailer Level 2: These backers will receive 10 copies of The Red Dragon Inn: 4 at a discounted rate, about 50% off of retail. This pledge level includes free US Domestic shipping. Brick and Mortar Backers at this level in Canada and Mexico will need to add $50 to their pledge for international shipping and handling. Brick and Mortar Backers elsewhere funding at the this level will need to add $80 to their pledge. Furthermore Brick and Mortar Backers at this level will also receive 2 free copies of any of the two allies we unlock. That means if the campaign gets to $60,000 we will send you two free copies of Cormac the Mighty and Witchdoctor Natyli for free!
Backers at these levels will need to contact us directly to confirm their eligibility. Backers who pledge at these levels and are found to be ineligible will receive the next lower pledge level's rewards instead.
Sorry, online storefronts are not eligible for these pledge levels.
SlugFest Games focuses on making games with simple, fun mechanics that are dripping with theme. Our games are designed to be quick to learn, fast to play, but have a surprising depth of strategy. We strive for a certain type of humor in everything we do.
This is our second Kickstarter campaign, and we’re bringing all of our experience from the first campaign to bear.
Risks and challenges
In our time in the industry, we've seen a lot of issues: art delays, international shipping problems, and even the theft of a shipping truck containing an entire print run of RDI! We can't guarantee that something like that won't happen again.
However, the game is already nearly complete. The characters are ready, playtesting is going well, the art is coming along nicely, and we are still on track for having games in your hands and on store shelves by the fall.
This is our fourth RDI Base Set, our second Kickstarter, and our fourteenth game title overall. So, although there are risks involved with art, production, and shipping (each of which involve factors outside of our control), we still feel confident that a fall release is well within our grasp.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (47 days)