Neva - Evolution of the ski pole
Neva - Evolution of the ski pole
The world's first data enabled, ski pole that allows you remotely answer calls, receive SMS and integrates with iPhone/Android.
The world's first data enabled, ski pole that allows you remotely answer calls, receive SMS and integrates with iPhone/Android. Read more
About this project
I am still looking at designs and color schemes but like where this is going. Urban camo feel showing off the carbon composite pole. Feedback welcome on Facebook and comments.
Neva - The world's first smart ski poles that allows you to see and answer calls, get short text messages and access important terrain information all without taking your gloves off. Patent Pending solution for skiing while staying in touch with your friends, family and work. No more fumbling with your cell phone on the ski lift, bulky gloves or opening your coat in sub zero weather conditions.
The Neva ski poles communicates wirelessly with Android and iPhone - Whenever a call rings into your phone, the caller ID or name is shown visibly on the Neva display. A simple finger swipe will answer or ignore calls.
The Neva pole can also communicate with SlopeScience.com (site requires Google Earth plugin) allowing you to accurately see your slope angle and aspect - can be used to avoid avalanche prone terrain while hiking in the back country. A simple demo is also available HERE (requires Google Earth plugin)
Poles will match visually, the photo was taken during development when only 1 mold was needed. Successful funding will let us bring the completed project to market.
So what does it do?
- Displays caller ID information when your phone rings. Allows you to answer your phone with a finger swipe. Your gloves and coat stay on and zipped up keeping you warm and dry. Phone stays safe in your pocket.
- Scrolls short text (SMS) messages on the display. Future versions may use text to speech to read messages over phone headset. *
- The slope angle and aspect of terrain is calculated and displayed for those who like back-country skiing. Allowing you to make smart choices about avalanche danger.
- Displays time, temperature and elevation.
What is included
- A 0.96” Oled display that's bright enough to read in full sunshine, while power efficient enough to keep working for the whole day.
- Low power bluetooth adapter that allows fast communication between your iPhone or Android and the Neva system.
- Rechargeable battery, allows your Neva to be powered for up to 3 days of use between charges and will cycle up to 500 times**. Neva will use a generic USB charger but will not ship with one. This allows us to keep costs down, and clutter/waste to a minimum.
- Dual density plastic and rubber grip, custom designed and manufactured to contain electronics.
- 7075 Grade aluminum poles, Highest quality poles and lowest weight while staying affordable. Available in 115cm, 120cm and 125cm lengths. If there is enough need for other sizes I will make an effort to get them.
- iPhone/Android app.
- Neva ski poles will be sold in complete pairs. One pole will be data enabled while the other will visually match.
iPhone/Android app functions:
- Enables communications between your iPhone or Android and your Neva. Designed to work with or without Neva ski pole.
- Can use your current GPS location for calculating slope angle and aspect ***
- Can track vertical feet gained or lost while skiing.
- Breadcrumb function will track your route in Google Earth KML format.
- User can customize what features will be enabled.
The Neva ski pole will be manufactured in Salt Lake City, Utah. In the USA.
We worked hard to miniaturize
the electronics for Neva. We went from simple breadboards to a custom PCB made
to our standards. Units will be sealed from the elements to give you years of
trouble free use.
SlopeScience.com has been providing route planning tools for back country skiers for the past 2 years. We developed a set of tools that calculate your exposure on terrain that can be used around the world. Our interface allows you to plan a route before setting foot in the back country. Neva literally puts this data in skiers hands.
My friend Tori agreed to be the model for my t-shirts. Thanks Tori!
*If you plan on answering phone calls with Neva, you will need to wear a phone headset (bluetooth or wired) We will not supply a headset.
** Manufacturer’s specs. Battery can be serviced or replaced.
*** Calculating slope angle and aspect requires a working data connection.
We must insist that anyone going into the back country get training from a qualified source. Avalanches kill people every year, no device is a replacement for good judgement and experience.
I have received a lot of emails asking how Neva may interfere with avalanche beacons during searches. Manufacturers suggest you keep your phone (or other electronic devices) at least 12 inches (30 cm) from your beacon. Interference will affect the searching beacons more than the transmitting beacons. While I have done some testing myself, I do plan on getting UL certifications once funding is successful. Neva will also have an easy on/off button that will cut power to the entire circuit, turning it into a standard pole. The frequencies used for Bluetooth communications are between 2402 and 2480MHz. Beacons use 457 kHz so there should be no overlap there. Feel free to ask me more questions about this, I understand it’s important and want people to be informed.
We designed an optical sensor that is housed under the waterproof lens. You can answer with or without gloves by swiping your thumb over the display, or reject calls by swiping your index finger. A short demo can be seen here:
Support this project
- (30 days)