Can you draw upon the power of the speaking stones, and prepare for the upcoming battle against Tenebris? Build your team to suit your strategy, and defeat your opponents in this skirmish style card game for 2-6 players!
The Stonebound Saga comes with:
- 1 25"X35" Game board
- 140 Card Resource Deck in Tuckbox
- 105 Card Character and Abilities Deck in Tuckbox
- 12 Character Dashboards with moving sliders
- 72 Wooden pegs
- 110 Status Effect tokens
- 2 Pair of D10 Dice
- 1 Rulebook
In the Stonebound Saga you and your opponent control a group of 'Stonebound'; those from the world of Telios who have responded to the 'Speaking Stones'. These Speaking Stones began humming and pulsing when the lost city of Lux reappeared after disappearing thousands of years ago. Those who respond to the stones and hone their power become known as Stonebound. These stones are equipped to their weapons and armor to enable feats of incredible power and skill unlike anything the world has seen.
Players pre-construct or draft teams of stonebound who are training against each other in preparation for an impending battle against a force known as Tenebris.
Players track their character's stats and abilities using dashboards with sliders to track dynamic stats, and pegs to track activated abilities. Each stonebound comes with two ability cards that are placed into each dashboard.
- There are 35 unique characters for players to choose their teams from spanning 7 different character classes. Below you'll find descriptions, and examples of stonebound from each class.
- Between all of the characters in The Stonebound Saga they have close to 300 unique abilities many of which can inflict various status effects. There are 11 different status effects to build your strategy around!
- Each character comes with two ability cards based from the elements of speaking stones equipped to their weapons and armor. The bottom left corner of each character card indicates which element of speaking stones are for offensive abilities, and the bottom right corner for defensive abilities.
The game is played on a large grid-based gameboard spanning 25" X 35". On each player's turn they will strategically move their characters across the battlefield to outwit and overwhelm their opponents.
Throughout the game players will use speaking stone cards drawn from a community resource deck in order to perform various abilities in battle. Players will need to manage their resources effectively by choosing when to use their resources for offense, or dedicate resources for passive defensive abilities that count against their hand size.
The Stonebound Saga is a great mix of unit positioning and strategy requiring each player to carefully plan their turns and manage their resources to achieve victory against their opponent. The numerous and diverse characters allow for a variety of play styles, and every match is an unique experience.
Games can be played between 2 players, or with teams of 2 or 3. The first player, or team to defeat their opponent's Stonebound by bringing their HP to zero is the winner.
Below you'll find a couple videos covering the contents of the game, and close to 10 minutes of gameplay.
You can download and view the full rulebook by clicking the image below. Please be aware that this is a work in progress rulebook. It is not final. Rules may still be tweaked and changed, layout and graphics may still be altered.
To add items onto your pledge, manually add the $ amount to your base pledge. We WILL be using Pledge Manager after the Kickstarter is complete to manage all options for each backer.
We would like to support game stores around the world by offering the special Kickstarter version of the game to retailers during the campaign. We treat retailer backers just like other backers in that they receive their rewards before we release regular retail games into distribution.
If you're a retailer, please contact Eric at firstname.lastname@example.org during the campaign for pricing information.
Our final stretch goal is a major expansion for The Stonebound Saga!
Introducing 'Terrain Cards'!
The terrain card expansion will include 140 cards in a tuck-box included with the game. Each copy of the game will include this expansion.
There are 35 unique terrain card designs which is 5 cards per speaking stone element. There are 3 copies of each terrain card plus 1 description card to describe how the card is played.
Terrain cards modify the spaces on the battlefield during gameplay. These cards can affect single spaces or groups of spaces. Terrain cards open up a completely new way to play the game, and add another level of strategy to the gameplay itself.
In addition to the character cards players will pick for their teams; players will now choose or draft a total of 10 stars of rarity from the 'Terrain Card' deck. Each player may not have more than 3 of the same terrain card in their deck.
Players will be able to activate terrain cards in battle by using 'Speaking Stone' cards just like they do to use their character's abilities. It is wise to pick terrain cards based off elements that are not in use by their characters to ensure they will not have any unused resources each turn. Once a terrain card is activated the speaking stone cards are discarded.
When a terrain card is played it can be placed on ANY OPEN space on the battlefield. (not occupied by a character or another terrain card) Once a terrain card is placed on the battlefield it can be used by ANY player. This means both positive and negative effects are in play for both players. Terrain cards bring about attributes from various places and effect the battle in many ways. Each card is an actual location from the world of Telios.
There are many types of terrain cards that can both help your allies, and hinder your enemy! Let's take a look at a few terrain cards, and how they work on the battlefield.
- Ice Blocks can be used to block enemy forces, and force them to move around to attack, or use a turn to remove them. They are excellent for buying time for your forces, and even preventing enemy formations!
- Valley of the Wind can be used in multiple ways. Not only can it increase the range of your ranged characters, but it can be used for surprise rush attacks and combinations.
- Sapping Stones can be very effective at preventing your opponent from using healing abilities, or healing from attacks. With good placement there will be no area available to heal, but be careful this affects your team as well!
- The massive trees of Illandris make attacking from a distance difficult, and placing this card on the battlefield can greatly hinder your opponent's ranged forces!
- Any player who moves their character to this location gets to immediately draw 2 extra speaking stone cards (resources). This can greatly help a player with their draw mechanics, and setting up for using their character abilities.
- Fortifications can be a great location to place your vulnerable characters in the middle of battle. This location mitigates HP damage allowing a character to survive longer, but be careful - your opponent can steal this location from you and use it to their advantage!
That was just 6 of the 35 unique terrain card designs! We hope you love this new card type that adds an incredible amount of strategy and a new way to play! We will be revealing more of the terrain card designs once this stretch goal is unlocked! Once we reach this stretch goal the 'Terrain Card' expansion will be added to every copy of the game!
Centuries ago there was a lush and beautiful land named Telios. In the center of this kingdom stood the gleaming city of Lux ruled by a wise and loving king. The citizens of Telios wanted for nothing and their hearts were full of joy. The king walked among the people taking delight in their lives and the people loved him dearly. One day a dark force known as Tenebris arose from the deep places of the earth and touched a single man. Tenebris flattered the man with lies and whispered to him of greatness. The man spent his days plotting and he lay awake each night dreaming of riches and power. With a honeyed tongue this one man swayed the thoughts of those around him and the darkness spread. Soon, bitterness and jealousy welled up in the hearts of the people and they became discontent.
Tenebris grew and festered until the people of Telios succumbed to darkness. Out of this darkness the people rose up in defiance to their king. They gathered from all corners of Telios uniting under a banner of darkness. They made for themselves weapons of war and steeled themselves with hatred. The very first army the world had ever known assembled in the fields of Lux and prepared to strike down their king. The king looked out over his people and wept, for even still he loved them. With a heavy heart he uttered unknown words of power and there was a great cataclysm. The city of Lux rose from the ground and ascended into the sky. Mighty earthquakes shook the land and tore it to pieces. Great fires erupted from the center of the earth pushing up mountains where fertile plains used to be. Massive storms raged across the earth’s surface stripping the land bare and scattering the once grand army. People all over Telios cried out in despair until finally everything was still.
The world was changed. Great chasms had formed separating the land into seven continents. All that remained in the heart of Telios where the city of Lux once stood was a great void. The king was gone. His absence could be felt by everyone as a sudden and unexplainable loss. Without a king to unite them and reeling in despair, seven kingdoms arose from the newly formed continents and turned their hatred upon each other.
Thousands of years passed and the world knew only war. Grievance was heaped upon grievance until the shared history of the seven kingdoms was all but forgotten. It was an age of darkness and brutality. The land was sapped of its bounty and the people were sapped of their strength. They no longer remembered why they fought nor did they care. They were ruled by hatred, they were ruled by bitterness and they were ruled by death. It hung like a pall in the air mocking the pitiful creatures clawing upon the surface of Telios.
When humanity was on the brink of ruin and all seemed lost, hope broke through.
It started with a whisper, a nearly imperceptible voice carried on the wind echoing through canyons, sweeping over fields, and flowing into the cities. The first people to hear the voice could make no sense of it. It seemed a trick of the ear, teasing those who could hear it as the memory of a dream teases one upon waking. The words spoke of a long lost king and a magnificent race of people. It spoke of light shattering the darkness and it spoke of the king returning! These words settled on the land and were absorbed like a fresh spring rain until the very stones of the earth hummed and pulsed with their power. These stones soon became known as speaking stones as they were able to speak into the very souls of the people, granting them power to push back the Tenebris. The king also gave a warning through the stones; Tenebris, the great darkness which had consumed the earth, was gathering its forces for one final battle.
“If no one speaks of His name; even the rocks will cry out.”
When our team at Sky Kingdom Games began working on The Stonebound Saga over 15 years ago we knew that this project wasn't going to be just a board game. We knew that in order to create something unique we would need to create a world with rich stories, compelling characters, and lore.
Classic games from Squaresoft (now Square Enix) like Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana had significant influence on this project. Part of what made those games so great was not only the story and characters, but the beautiful music that gave the games atmosphere and depth. You would expect a digital title to have a soundtrack, but you usually don't see board or card games with an OST! We are proud to provide a soundtrack to accompany gameplay for those that want to add music to match the play experience.
To capture the sound of The Stonebound Saga we reached out to music composer Bill Piyatut H. Bill is an accomplished composer and arranger of multiple titles and projects around the world. We are excited to be able to offer this soundtrack as a reward for every backer! At the end of the campaign we will be emailing each backer a link to download the soundtrack. Until then you can preview some of the tracks below.
Risks and challenges
This is our 1st Kickstarter (re-launched from October and February), and also a very ambitious project! Knowing this we started preparing for this campaign over a year ago. We reached out to other successful publishers, asked questions, talked to the gaming community, and found the best way to produce and deliver a wonderfully crafted game using the Kickstarter platform.
With that said - here's some key points to consider.
1. We spent time setting up friendly shipping options for our backers so any extra fees and VAT will be covered by us. The Stonebound Saga will ship from various shipment centers in the U.S., Canada, the EU, and Australia. This way shipping is simple and not over complicated!
2. We put a realistic timetable on production and delivery for this game - which is by February 2018. We anticipate the game shipping before then, but we would rather under promise and over deliver! Keep in mind this is only an estimate. Also, due to the logistics of international shipping, backers in different regions of the world may receive their rewards sooner than others.
3. We have an amazing art studio handling our art designs - Caravan Studio. Caravan has produced work for various companies like Blizzard, Lucasfilm, Wizards of the Coast, and others. We expect a great turn around in the remaining art needed to complete the game which will not hold up the production of the game.
4. You can be assured that every possible precaution and care will be put into providing an incredible game in a timely matter and exactly as we promised. Our team has worked for years pouring our time and our own personal funds into crafting a game that we are proud to share with the world. We also know that this is just the beginning for Sky Kingdom Games, and we have several titles planned that expand on the lore from The Stonebound Saga.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)