About this project
Quick update: Community Card Program!
Click here see our project announcement regarding your chance to have your name printed on cards that are distributed globally!
The story began one afternoon about two months ago. I was watching a family member get her teeth whitened. In her mouth was a plastic cheek retractor, aka, mouthguard. After a few hilariously awful attempts at communicating, she tried to tell me that "it's really hard to speak!" - except it came out "ithhh really hard to sheeek!" I about fell over laughing, and an idea was born!
Watch Ya' Mouth is a simple, hilarious, card-based party game for up to 8 players (4 teams of 2 players). Players take turns trying to understand what their team mate - who is hampered by a cheek retractor (mouth guard) - is saying.
The team with the highest number of accurate interpretations at the end of four rounds wins.
Here's a quick video from one of our beta testers - can you figure out what she's trying to say?
(Give up? She was trying to say "Warm Beef Meatballs!")
What's a Cheek Retractor?
Fair question. Also called a "Mouthguard," Cheek Retractors are simple plastic devices that folks use to help hold their lips open. They easily fit in the very front of your mouth (they don't trigger gag reflexes), holding your lips open. The result is the inability to pronounce any sound that requires your lips touching - "B", "P", "V", "M", and so on.
They'll come in a few sizes and will be color coded so you know which is yours. They're dishwasher safe too so they can be easily cleaned for the next time.
Here's a more thorough rundown of how it works:
- Each team has a "reader" and an "Interpreter"
- The Reader fits the included Cheek Retractor/Mouth Guard to his or her mouth, draws a card from the stack, and tries to read the phrase to their team mate (the interpreter).
- The goal is for an "Interpreter" to understand what the "Reader" is trying to say.
- Your team has 2 minutes to interpreter as many phrases as possible!
- 1 Round is completed when each team has gone once. For the next round, the team's rolls reverse (The reader becomes the interpreter and the interpreter becomes the reader).
- The reader has to keep trying until the interpreter gets your phrase right. In other words, you can't "pass" on a phrase. That's where it starts getting really funny.
- Some phrases are extra hard - these are worth 2 points, and are the only cards you may pass on.
- The team with the highest score after 4 rounds, wins!
The Product and Prototype:
We're ready to rock - we have manufacturing, shipping, legal, financial, and all those details squared away. We have several sets of fully functional prototypes, and we've proven time and time again that we can deliver on the side-splitting humor of the game. Here are some examples of the physical components:
Cards are thick, full color, glossy finish
Straightforward 2-minute sand timer
At least 10 safe, multicolored cheek retractors in at least 2 sizes
What comes with the game:
- 143 cards (~3 decks) of tested, hilarious phrases with varying difficulty (NSFW version gets an additional 143 cards for a total of 286)
- 10 cheek retractors - 5 small and 5 large of varying colors (so you don't get them mixed up). These are dental-quality, dishwasher safe appliances that fit both small and big mouths (you know you you are!).
- 1-minute sand timer
- Scoring Sheet
Here's the full collection of goodies:
The game is available in two versions:
1. A "Family Friendly" version. Think of phrases like "Warm Beef Meatballs", "Pampers Diapers Full of Poop", and "There's a Wasp in my Pepsi!" . Perfect for anyone 6 to 160 years old looking for good, clean fun.
2. A "NSFW", or "Not safe for work" version - ie, it gets bit risque with topics and language. We don't hold back and anything is fair game. ...It's probably twice as funny as a result.
Two Gameplay Approaches:
1. "Open Season" - meaning you can try to drop hints, make motions, wave your arms like mad, do an interpretive dance, or whatever else your group feels is fair to get your point across.
2. "Legit" - No hints, no actions - strictly saying the phrase and figuring it out. It's tough!
A Final Note:
This is not our first rodeo with bringing ideas to life and products to the market. We'll take the rough prototypes and turn them into beautiful, commercial-ready products. What you see in these pictures are simply prototypes that we've made to prove this concept works. If you help us by funding this campaign, what you see will turn into high quality, 100% finished and beautiful versions. We'll physically the factories to ensure they are right, and we'll not stop until these are 100% awesome.
Ready to laugh your A** off?
So if you're into side-splitting fun, have a capacity for a little self-depreciating humor, and like to laugh with your friends, please help this mouthguard game project come to fruition! We can't do this without you!
Risks and challenges
Production of the game is simple: it's just a card game with a few extra parts. Other than building the box it's a relatively straightforward product to make. The biggest challenge for us would actually be if you blow us out of the water - but we're ready for that too. We're already working with fulfillment powerhouses like Shipwire and Amazon to make sure that no matter how many people pledge, everyone gets their game quickly after the campaign ends. None of us want this to be a campaign where you spend the next two years getting fifty emails about production updates and delays. If you back this project, we want to be sure you can start your Watch Ya' Mouth parties ASAP. This is why we're not offering t-shirts or other complicated reward tiers that would make the distribution process take a lot longer. We're keeping it as simple as possible: support our project and in return we'll send you the hilarious, playable game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)