Dance It! 2012
Dance It! 2012
Dance It! is a multicultural intensive dance exchange that links new talent and top choreographers in America and Bulgaria
Dance It! is a multicultural intensive dance exchange that links new talent and top choreographers in America and Bulgaria Read more
About this project
Dance It! 2012 is the 5th edition of a week-long dance intensive workshop and performance program bringing together accomplished US choreographers and young dancers from Bulgaria and the USA.
In 2012 the program will expand to other countries. Young dance artists come together every spring in lovely Bulgaria. They experience a demanding dance workshop program consisting of classes held by renowned and distinguished American and Bulgarian choreographers. In addition to improved dance technique, these young dancers go home with a memorable and inspirational international exchange experience, with new ideas for their future development and with more self-confidence for their creative work.
Goals of the Dance It! project and the initiating Iliev Dance Art Foundation are:
- Cultivating physically and mentally flexible and adaptive artists who can respond to the requirements of the contemporary dance world.
- Establishing an example of self-management in the arts based on proactive, initiative-based approach, complete dedication to a project, working within budget, aspiration to constant improvement, a lot of volunteer time and effort, and pride in the achieved results.
- Demonstrating to participants and observers a market-based approach to creating an art product – intense working process, self-discipline, utter devotion to the process, a quick product.
- Educating active citizens and responsible team-players, with competitive skills and spirit.
- Nurturing multi-ethnic and multi-cultural collaboration.
In order to achieve these goals in one intensive week of rigorous dance training, young dancers take classes in several of the following styles: classical ballet, modern dance, Broadway jazz, hip-hop and character dance. Every morning they learn dance techniques from top professionals, and every afternoon they learn to create new choreographies. At the end of the week, all participating young dancers come on stage in a final performance “Sneak Peek” and show the results of their work. They are joined by invited professional dance companies which adds another encouraging source of inspiration. The workshop week includes open master classes, interactive public discussion and an interactive showcase of parts of a new choreography in an unconventional public space.
The best six dancers are selected to receive scholarships from the Iliev Dance Art Foundation to participate in summer dance intensive programs in the USA. This is always a dream come true for these young dancers!
Up to ten of the best dancers will be selected to participate in the first independent dance show production of the Iliev Dance Art Foundation – to be presented in September/ October 2012 (more details coming soon...).
The choreographers in the spring Dance It! 2012 are well-known professionals who bring unique expertise to dancers who do not have the opportunity to experience this range of dance training in their routine dance curricula:
- Classical Ballet – Nicholas Ade, principal, Eastside School, Pacific Northwest Ballet School
- Modern Dance – Sonia Dawkins, artistic director and choreographer, Prism Dance Theatre
- Original Broadway Jazz – Marcus Galante, New York
- Hip-Hop – Andrea Burr, Los Angeles
- Character Dance – Petur Iliev, artistic director and founder, Iliev Dance Art Foundation
- and a Thai Massage fairy, for dance recuperation – Debra Robinson
The funds we raise go towards subsidizing the travel costs connected with the program, the scholarships and the venues for the events.
We thank you in advance for your trust, engagement and your passion for the dance art!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (46 days)