Modal Electronics are proud to announce the latest in its line of innovative Machines For Musicians - the Modal Electronics SKULPTsynthesiser.
Packing a huge range of synthesis power in a highly portable package, Modal SKULPT is ready to help you take your creativity to the next level wherever and whenever you want.
A quick overview of its features shows SKULPT pushes the bar up in portable electronic musical instruments:
- 4 voice – 32 oscillator virtual analogue synthesiser
- 8 oscillators per voice with 2 selectable morphable waveforms
- Mixer stage for osc levels along with FM, PWM, tuning and Ring Modulation options
- Monophonic, Duophonic and Polyphonic modes available
- Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 32 oscillators for a huge sound
- 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources and 37 destinations
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs, one global and one polyphonic
- Realtime sequencer that will record up to 128 notes and up to 4 parameters
- Fully featured arpeggiator with division, direction, octave, swing and sustain controls
- Resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
- Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
- 128 patch and 64 sequence storage locations
- 16 key touch MIDI keyboard
- MIDI DIN In and Out – Analogue clock sync In and Out connections
- Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Headphone and line output
- Power by USB or 6 x AA batteries
- Optional software editor available for MacOS, Windows, IOS and Android
- Portable and compact design
- Dimensions: 255mm x 135m x 68mm (10”x5 1/2”x 3”)
Our FIRST stretch goal is to include a protective cover for every Modal SKULPT synthesiser when we reach 200% funded. The cover can also be fitted underneath the base to provide a flat stand for your SKULPT synthesiser.
At 300% funded backers can switch to the dark side with this mean looking SKULPT synthesiser in BLACK. You will get the opportunity to choose at the end of the campaign between the white and black version.
Software Editor MODALapp
Modal SKULPT synthesiser also has an optional free standalone software editor available on MacOS, Windows, iOS and Android.
The software editor provides a visual overview of the SKULPT and also provides patch management, a MIDI keyboard and easy integration with the Modal CRAFT range. Simply connect SKULPT to any device running one of the supported operating systems with a Micro USB cable and you are good to go...
The software editor is completely optional and not required to use any of SKULPT synthesiser's sound engine.
Whats in the box?
- 1 x Modal Electronics SKULPT synthesiser
- 1 x SKULPT synthesiser cover
- 1 x Micro USB cable
Runs on USB or battery power, requires 6 x AA batteries, not included in the box
Since the Campaign reached it's first stretch goal of 200%, all Modal SKULPTS will come with the lid / cover. Should for any reason pledges fall below 200%, before the Campaign ends, then this will not be included.
As Seen On
Modal took one of the pre-production SKULPT synthesisers to Sonic Towers for Nick Batt of Sonic State to have a good poke at the SKULPT’s features and sounds
As well as Modal Electronics SKULPT synthesiser we are offering a few extra rewards, including stickers, t-shirts and bundles, some including one of our other products the CRAFTrhythm drum sampler.
Get your very own Modal SKULPT synthesiser, but in 2D format. There are currently 2 sticker designs shown below.
Represent Modal Electronics with one of these 4 custom designed t-shirts shown below.
Modal Electronics CRAFTrhythm
Uniquely for our SKULPT kickstarter project, some of our pledges give you the chance to snag a Modal Electronics CRAFTrhythm Drum Sampler - here's some more details about our CRAFTrhythm
The Modal CRAFTrhythm is an 8 track drum sampler kit with a 16 step sequencer which can be assembled (without need to solder) in less than 10 minutes. The CRAFTrhythm can store up to 64 16bit mono samples with a sample rate of 44.1kHz and using the CRAFTapp users can upload their own sounds. Each track features a mixer, sample select, a tune control with 3 pitch modes, low pass resonant filter and 3 envelopes for amplitude, filter and pitch. 16 preset patterns can be stored on CRAFTrhythm with up to 16 part pattern chaining along with 8 kits that recalls track parameters.
Modal has over the past four years sold its products through a number of dealers around the World and we do not see this changing.
However, Modal is always looking for new ways to help customers get access to our products and like many other established companies, Modal sees Kickstarter as a new, fresh and innovative way of reaching people the World over.
Additionally, for Modal, SKULPT uses manufacturing techniques we have never worked with before - specifically injection moulded plastics, where there are huge upfront investments to be made, for example in tooling.
Kickstarter gives us the ability to know in advance exactly how many units need to be made and the ability to tailor our manufacturing precisely to meet this.
December 2017 - First initial concept idea
January 2018 - First 3D model concept
February 2018 - More 3D design concepts
March 2018 - Different keyboard layout designs
April 2018 - Final 3D design renders and software editor ui design
May 2018 - First prototype case
June 2018 - Painted case design prototype
July 2018 - Pre-Production prototype
You can find our current project timeline estimate below. Of course this maybe subject to change, especially due to the long lead times on some electronics components at the moment. However, we believe this is a generous estimate and we hope to be able to deliver before the date below.
- Kickstarter Launch
- Kickstarter End
- Order electronics components
- Order plastic tooling
Start electronic production and assembley
- Fulfill rewards not including Modal SKULPT synthesiser
Finish production and QC checks
- Submit MODALapp to platform app stores
Ship Modal SKULPT synthesisers to backers
About Modal Electronics
We are a team of developers, designers and musicians who design and manufacture electronic musical instruments, based in Bristol, UK.
Established in 2013, we have previously released a range of highly regarded instruments such as Modal 002 - the fully-multitimbral 12 voice digital/analogue hybrids synthesiser, Modal 008 - the 8 voice analogue powerhouse synthesiser and the Modal CRAFT range - synthesiser and drum sampler kits that broke new ground in price vs performance.
We make 'Machines for Musicians'
Almond Design Studio
"It is the purpose of design to give character and identity to what is otherwise an inanimate object. It is to allow a product to explain itself to the user; to generate a joy in its use and impart pleasure in its ownership."
Trained in Product Design at the Royal College of Art, London, John Almond's award winning practice has been a forerunner in the use of computer aided design techniques since their inception. His work is now predominently in the area of high technology products, and has worked for clients that include Virgin, Sharp, Citizen, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Atomos, Pace and IBM. He worked with Nokia in Finland for 6 years on their corporate design programs, and has been a regular visiting lecturer on MA Product Design courses both at the Royal College of Art and at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Risks and challenges
No one with experience of working in the electronics manufacturing industry would ever say there are "no risks and challenges" but Modal has invested thousands of team man hours in designing, developing and testing of Modal SKULPT.
The two major risks we can think of are:
1) The component shortages effecting every manufacturer of electronics products in the World - however Modal has worked very carefully with its suppliers and cross checked availability of components and possible alternatives wherever possible and continues to monitor this on a daily basis.
Also, Modal uses major manufacturers based in China and the wider Asian continent who have sourcing power far beyond ours. At present, we are confident we can deliver SKULPT within the timescales stated and we will work constantly to monitor this and update backers of our project.
2) Issues that might arise from using an injection moulded plastic enclosure (case). Traditionally Modal products have used pressed steel chassis, however these are expensive and heavy.
For SKULPT portability and affordability were key elements of the design from the outset. While Modal has not worked with an injection moulded plastic part before, Modal brought John Almond of Almond Design Studio into the development team for the project and John has over thirty years of designing injection moulded plastic parts and brings invaluable expertise and skill to the Modal SKULPT project team.
The manufacturing partners we work with in China have over 20 years experience in producing hight quality injection moulded plastic parts and already manufacture similar components for other musical instrument manufacturers.
Maintaining quality control can be a challenge. We work with a partner who have 40 years expertise and experience in this who liaise closely with our manufacturing partner in China.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)