Modal CRAFT synth 2.0
Monophonic wavetable synthesiser - 40 morphable waveforms - 16 oscillator modifiers - Sequenced arp - MIDI DIN and Sync I/O
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Wed, January 9 2019 4:00 PM UTC +00:00.
SONIC STATE FIRST LOOK
- Monophonic wavetable synthesiser
- 8 oscillators in total with 2 selectable waveforms and mixer stage
- 40 unique waveforms available split into 8 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets
- VA, digital and generative waves are available along with selections from the Modal 002
- Process and cross modulate waveforms with 1 of 16 oscillator modifiers including Frequency / Phase Modulation, Hard / Window Sync, Ring / Amp Modulation, Derez / Bitcrush, Wavefolders and Waveshapers - Oscillator modifiers are applied to Wave 1. In some cases, such as for FM or AM, Wave 2 is used as the modulating signal for Wave 1
- Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 8 oscillators for a huge sound
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs
- 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources, each source can have 1 destination. (LFO1, LFO2 and MOD-EG assignable from CRAFTsynth, Velo, Note, ModW, AftT and Expression assignable from MODALapp)
- Program and transpose patterns with the built in sequenced arpeggiator
- 2-pole resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
- Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
- 64 preset storage locations
- 8 key touch MIDI keyboard with 8 custom scales and root note selection
- MIDI DIN in and out
- Analogue clock sync in and out (configured to the KORG / Teenage Engineering specification)
- Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Headphone and line output Powered by USB or 3 x AA batteries
- Optional software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- Portable and compact design
- Dimensions: 150mm x 135m x 68mm (6”x5 1/2”x 3”)
Modal Electronics CRAFTrhythm
Uniquely for our CRAFTsynth 2.0 kickstarter project, some of our rewards offer you the chance to snag a Modal Electronics CRAFTrhythm Drum Sampler - here's some more details about our CRAFTrhythm.
The Modal CRAFTrhythm is an 8 track drum sampler kit with a 16 step sequencer which can be assembled (without need to solder) in less than 10 minutes. The CRAFTrhythm can store up to 64 16bit mono samples with a sample rate of 44.1kHz and using the CRAFTapp users can upload their own sounds. Each track features a mixer, sample select, a tune control with 3 pitch modes, low pass resonant filter and 3 envelopes for amplitude, filter and pitch. 16 preset patterns can be stored on CRAFTrhythm with up to 16 part pattern chaining along with 8 kits that recalls track parameters.
We are a team of developers, designers and musicians who design and manufacture electronic musical instruments, based in Bristol, UK.
Established in 2013, we have previously released a range of highly regarded instruments such as Modal 002 - the fully-multitimbral 12 voice digital/analogue hybrids synthesiser, Modal 008 - the 8 voice analogue powerhouse synthesiser and the Modal CRAFT range - synthesiser and drum sampler kits that broke new ground in price vs performance.
In August 2018 we launched our first ever Kickstarter project for the 4 voice 32 oscillator virtual-analogue SKULPT synthesiser. It was hugely successful, reaching 300% of the target goal and we shipped SKULPT synthesiser to many happy backers in November 2018 on time, just 3 months after the close of the campaign.
Risks and challenges
No one with experience of working in the electronics manufacturing industry would ever say there are "no risks and challenges" but Modal has invested thousands of team man hours in designing, developing and testing of Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0.
The two major risks we can think of are:
1) The component shortages effecting every manufacturer of electronics products in the World - however Modal has worked very carefully with its suppliers and cross checked availability of components and possible alternatives wherever possible and continues to monitor this on a daily basis.
Also, Modal uses major manufacturers based in China and the wider Asian continent who have sourcing power far beyond ours. At present, we are confident we can deliver Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0 within the timescales stated and we will work constantly to monitor this and update backers of our project.
2) Issues that might arise from using an injection moulded plastic enclosure (case). Traditionally Modal products have used pressed steel chassis, however these are expensive and heavy.
For Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0 portability and affordability were key elements of the design from the outset. Modal brought John Almond of Almond Design Studio into the development team for the project and John has over thirty years of designing injection moulded plastic parts and brings invaluable expertise and skill to the Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0 project team.
The manufacturing partners we work with in China have over 20 years experience in producing hight quality injection moulded plastic parts and already manufacture similar components for other musical instrument manufacturers.
Maintaining quality control can be a challenge. We work with a partner who have 40 years expertise and experience in this who liaise closely with our manufacturing partner in China.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!