I'm Andy Swartz, a freelance artist and illustrator. My style of artwork is typified by dream-like, faintly creepy and macabre fantasy wildlife. I am a mostly self-taught artist, and I'm inspired by cartoons, video games, scientific illustration, and folklore and myths. I sell my work online and in a handful of galleries, and I also travel around the US doing art fairs and festivals. You can view more of my work at skullgarden.net, on Facebook, on Etsy, and on Instagram.
Coloring books for adults (and kids!) are a great way to relax and focus your mind while also being productive and improving your own artistic skill and eye for color and design.
I have created 40 new inked drawings of varying complexity and design for you all to color however you see fit. Several of the pages also have blank banners for you to write quotes, lyrics, new patterns, or anything you'd like. This book has a combination of small details and larger open areas for simple color fill or adding your own drawings and ideas.
The SKULLGARDEN Coloring Book will be softcover, perfect bound and 8.5x11" in size, and will have a total of 44 pages. The book will be printed locally here in Atlanta, open edition, with the first 1000 books printed with funds raised through this Kickstarter campaign.
The vast majority of the funds are for the printing of the books. The rest of the funds will go towards shipping, shipping supplies, Kickstarter and card processing fees, and other miscellaneous costs.
Kickstarter is an amazingly powerful tool that puts the power of creative projects back into the hands of creators and their backers. As the creator of four successful projects, I know that crowdfunding is the single best way to fund the creation of indie books and self published media without the influence of outside sources. It's just you, me, and the book. It would be impossible for me to foot the bill for printing a book by myself, which is why I use Kickstarter as a platform for raising the funds while giving backers a discount on the final product for helping me complete it.
Kickstarter is an all or nothing funding platform for potential projects. Meaning if I do not reach my $3,400 funding goal, then the project does not come to fruition and no money is lost from the backers. If I do reach my goal, then the project proceeds and is completed by me.
The rest of the art is viewable by backers only!
Stretch Goals are a fun way to keep the project fresh and exciting if the SKULLGARDEN Coloring Book exceeds its initial goal before the funding period is over.
- If we reach $4000 in funding, I will include THREE 4x6" postcard prints with every pledge for a physical reward. ACHIEVED!
- If we reach $5000 in funding, I will include THREE MORE 4x6" postcard prints with every pledge for a physical reward. ACHIEVED!
- If we reach $7500 in funding, I will add an additional TEN coloring pages to the book: 50 inked coloring pages, 54 pages total. ACHIEVED!
- If we reach $10,000 in funding, I will add another TEN coloring pages to the book: 60 inked coloring pages, 64 pages total. ACHIEVED!
- Print- for $5, you'll receive on 8.5x11" print of any page on white Strathmore Bristol paper or recycled Kraft (light brown) paper. You can either frame these prints or color them with markers without worrying about bleeding through to other pages!
- One Book- for $15, you'll receive one copy of the SKULLGARDEN Coloring Book!
- One Book + One Print- For $20, you'll receive one copy of the coloring book, plus one 8.5x11" print of any page on white cardstock paper.
- One Book Signed with Ink Drawing- for $25, you'll receive one physical copy of the coloring book, signed and with a small ink drawing on the title page.
- Two Books- for $28, you'll receive two copies of the coloring book. This a great option if you want to keep one as an art book and color in the other.
- Original SKETCH + One Book- for $40, you'll receive one copy of the coloring book and one original pencil drawing used in the making of the book. I'll give you the option to pick your five favorite pages (from which I'll choose one to send you) in the survey that I'll send once the project is over.
- Original INKED PAGE + One Book- for $50, you'll receive one copy of the coloring book and one original inked page used in the making of the book. I'll give you the option to pick your five favorite pages (from which I'll choose one to send you) in the survey that I'll send once the project is over.
- Three Books- for $40, you'll receive three copies of the coloring book.
- Five Books- for $62, you'll receive five copies of the coloring book.
- Ten Books- for $120, you'll receive ten copies of the coloring books. ...that's a lot of books.
Having completed a few successful Kickstarter campaigns in the past, I have run into some snags that delayed the shipment of rewards to some backers. Here are some tips to help you receive your rewards in a smooth, timely manner.
- The email you have listed on Kickstarter MUST be a valid email that you check frequently. The longer it takes you to respond to your survey once funding has ended, the longer it takes for you to receive your reward. I will copy and paste your address exactly as you write it in your survey, so your address must be correctly spelled and laid out. If your rewards are returned to me due to a bad address, I will contact you and you must repay for shipping. If your address changes after you have filled out your survey but before your rewards have shipped, please update your address in your backer survey, and send me a message!
- Please make sure that your credit card information is up to date. If it is not up to date, then your pledge will be declined once funding has ended and you will be dropped as a backer. (Though if this happens accidentally, you can contact me and I can provide alternate payment options)
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge is getting the books printed. I've already finished all of the art, so there won't be months of waiting like with my previous projects. I've already spoken with the printer, got my quote in writing, and have everything set up and ready to go once I get the funds.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)