Inspired by her daughter who was born deaf with cerebral palsy, the knee sneakers, later named Skneeks (pronounced “sneaks”) were made to create a way for her to get around on her knees while other kids her age were running. In the beginning, there was tons of testing with various knee pad solutions and dozens of different types of fabric and materials. With years of trial and error, the knee pads evolved into using her husband’s biking arm sleeve warmers, silicon, and shoo goo.
After 6 years of extensive research and progression, it has led her to create the first of its kind, an all day wearing, flexible, durable, tear resistant knee pad. By using a sneaker sole material on the knee, they can last far longer than any other knee pad out there withstanding wear on cement, asphalt, rock, you name it.
First created out of a need to promote independence for people with physical disabilities such as cerebral palsy, hypotonia, and hemophilia. Now after some testing, the Skneeks go beyond just special needs. They are being used by rock and wall climbers and have potential for so much more. There is a need for a multi-sport tear resistant kneepad.
- video with subtitles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxzgz9RUJ70&t=8s
GoLiiv wants to create more inclusion by inventing more adaptive products. We are teaming up with others to help in this journey giving people the ability to live life to the fullest as everyone deserves the ability to enjoy every day recreation and to Liiv!
After testing all types of knee pads, hard shell, volleyball, and other various knee protection, even sweat bands, not one would work in the way we needed it to. They would either tear, too hard, too short, can’t walk/crawl in comfortably, didn’t stay in place, and just not meant for all day use and for constant impact on hard surfaces.
- Spandex/Poly performance fabric
- Thick non-slip silicon elastic to keep in place with lots of movement
- Velcro strap (no more dealing with little too big, too small)
- Abrasion resistent, waterproof & non-slip knee using shoe sole type material
- Neoprene padding for shock resistance
- Opening in the back for breathability
- Lightweight, low profile
- Created for daily / all day wear, comfortable
- Easy to wipe clean (or hand wash)
- To be worn on bare skin or to wear over pants(certain types better)
* Patent Pending
*testing out our Skneeks
*Note : The knee stitching on the Skneeks may alter depending on the size. The final knee stitching is in our main profile picture and side view picture above.
Tamra Logans daughter Birkley contracted a virus during pregancy later resulting in cerebral palsy. When her daughter was finally mobile on her own at the age of 4, she was using her knees to get everywhere. The Skneeks (knee sneakers) gave her daughter her independence and freedom to be a kid. Now after she started walking at age 10, she still uses the Skneeks when falling on her knees and while knee walking.
More of Birkleys Story Featured in:
With our Skneeks
- Grow a small team to help streamline the process from manufacturing to shipment.
- Finalize all fabric, materials, sizing, stitching. Have the ability to order in larger quantity to keep prices down.
- Create more product for quicker shipments.
- Marketing and ecommerce support
- Invent and manufacture more products: We aren’t just apparel. We are talking with engineers, university engineering programs, nonprofits and other companies to create more inclusive recreational products.
- Build a small team to join in our mission to bring more adaptive products to life.
Video : Music by the Cedars, "Boogie Nice".
Risks and challenges
Sizing is always tough but we have been refining these for the last 6 months and will continue to refine by talking with our buyers and backers.
Manufacturing is set but there is always a potential that things get pushed back. We plan to stay on track throughout but will notify you with any changes. Overall we plan to ship sooner(hoping for September).
Manufacturing has been a tough one. Our product uses several materials and they are very customized in the way they are made so many manufacturers won't take on the project. With our current/small manufacturer (locally made in Denver, CO), we are able to manufacture as small runs and if it's best to keep it that way and really focus on the product, we will. If needed we will ship in batches.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)