We are shipping the game from within the United States, European Union, and Australia. Additionally, thanks to unlocked stretch goals, all supporters receive $10 off the listed shipping estimates! Please see the FAQ for more information.
GURPS (the Generic Universal RolePlaying System) turns 30 this year, and Dungeon Fantasy focuses its award-winning power on hack ‘n’ slash fantasy roleplaying, where stalwart heroes kick down doors, kill monsters, and take their stuff in order to grow powerful enough to tackle the next quest . . . which naturally features stronger doors, tougher monsters, and better stuff!
All images shown are work in progress and not 100% final.
This standalone boxed set contains everything you need to play: cardboard figures, combat maps, dice, and five full-color rulebooks that feature original art.
- Adventurers (128 pages). GURPS is famous for letting you play any character you can imagine. Dungeon Fantasy keeps this flexibility while trimming away unnecessary details, concentrating on just what matters to monster-slaying, treasure-hunting action: Pick from 11 classic professions and nine playable races, customize your alter-ego using quick-start templates and a powerful point-build system, and gear up with an equipment list that offers dozens of weapons and lets you assemble exactly the suit of armor that fits your image.
- Exploits (112 pages). Learn how the heroes actually use their abilities and gear. That means combat, of course – and dozens of other activities, whether your thing is sneaking around, swinging from the scenery, exorcizing evil, or getting rich through cunning deals in town. This book also describes countless bad things that can befall adventurers (poison, traps, dismemberment, lava pits . . .), as well as good things, namely loot. And it’s full of practical advice to the Game Master who leads this three-ring circus: challenging the players, keeping the action moving, settling arguments, and much more.
- Spells (80 pages). What would fantasy be without magic? Adventurers features four spellcasting professions (bard, cleric, druid, and wizard), and this volume describes over 400 spells to help you customize them. It also includes complete rules for how spells work – whether their power comes from the gods, Nature, or creepy tomes of forbidden wizardly knowledge.
- Monsters (64 pages). Once the adventurers are ready, and armed with weapons and magic, it’s time to test their mettle! This catalog starts you out with more than 80 things that want to bite, claw, grab, sting, and curse the heroes – not just the predictable orcs and zombies, but also several Dungeon Fantasy originals. Each offers notes on tactics and variants, and the whole collection comes with advice and rules for adventurers dealing with monsters . . . and monsters dealing with adventurers.
- Dungeon (24 pages). I Smell a Rat is a simple (but not simplistic!) quest designed to show new gamers the ropes. Like any classic hack ‘n’ slash adventure, it starts at the inn. From there, the heroes will find themselves facing traps, enemies, and unexpected twists – and finding treasure, although not necessarily gold and silver. Advice and “adventure hooks” let the Game Master challenge advanced players or spin the tale into a series of adventures.
While based on the GURPS Basic Set and its GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and GURPS Magic supplements, this is a standalone roleplaying game, ready to play out of the box! It’s compatible with GURPS, but the famously detailed rules have been streamlined to be friendlier to new gamers and veterans alike. For existing GURPS fans, revisions made in response to nearly 10 years of customer feedback on the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series – along with completely new content unique to this set – make this a “must have.”
Check out these stretch goals!
IMPORTANT NOTE: All stretch goals listed below are only eligible to backers pledging $50 or more. Pledges of $49 or less do not receive any of the listed stretch goals.
In addition to your pledges, every dollar spent on GURPS and Pyramid Magazine goodies on Warehouse 23 during September 2016 counts toward the Kickstarter stretch goals. See the graph below.
SEPTEMBER 27 UPDATE: So that we can keep delivery of the game on schedule, $225,000 is the final stretch goal.
To add these Dungeon Fantasy items to your game, simply include the listed cost as part of your pledge. After the project closes, we will send a survey through BackerKit where you'll tell us exactly which of the following you want.
- Dungeon Fantasy GM Screen: The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is designed to run quickly. This full-color, four-panel screen will place important tables and modifiers at your fingertips to speed up game play even more. Includes two 16-page booklets – one to accelerate character creation and advancement, the other providing ready-to-play characters for a really speedy first game! • $20 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit.
- Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game: One copy of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game printed box set. • $50 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit.
- Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game in PDF: One copy each of the five books in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game in PDF delivered through Warehouse 23 when the game ships in 2017. • $35
- Dungeon Fantasy GM Screen in PDF: The screen panels and booklets in PDF delivered through Warehouse 23 when the physical screen ships in 2017. • $5
- 12 Custom Dungeon Fantasy Bases: Extras of the custom 1-inch hex-shaped bases that are included in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game box. • $6 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit. One set automatically included in the I Want It All!!! reward level.
- 12 Custom Dungeon Fantasy Bases (Rainbow): Two each of six different colors (red, orange, blue, green, yellow, and purple) of custom 1-inch hex-shaped bases. • $6 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit. One set automatically included in the I Want It All!!! reward level.
- How to Be a GURPS GM: Simple, practical guide to using GURPS to run a fun game, with ample quotes from GURPS developer and mastermind Sean “Dr. Kromm” Punch. Most of this advice is equally useful to gamers starting with the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. • $20 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit.
- How to Be a GURPS GM in PDF: The book content in PDF delivered through Warehouse 23 at the same time as the other already-existing PDFs (listed below). • $11
- Dungeon Fantasy Companion: A single printed volume containing the content of all the stretch goal PDFs unlocked at the end of the campaign – but at a minimum, Dungeon 2, Magic Items, and Traps. Everyone pledging at the $250 level and above will get this! Everybody else can buy it as an add-on. • $20 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit.
- Eye-In-The-Pyramid Dice: Six extra eye-in-the-pyramid dice. • $5 + shipping to be charged separately through BackerKit.
Dungeon Fantasy started life as a series of PDF supplements for GURPS. We are offering all of these existing PDFs as add-ons. Except for Pyramid: The Dungeon Fantasy Collection and future issues of Pyramid subscriptions, they will be delivered to backers after the campaign ends via Warehouse 23, the one-stop online shop for all your Steve Jackson Games needs.
All of these PDFs assume the reader has the GURPS Basic Set and usually GURPS Magic; most refer to earlier supplements in the series. With a little effort, however, you can use any of them with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.
These items are especially easy to add to Dungeon Fantasy RPG games, with little reference to other supplements, or lots of material that can be used as-is. Expand your gaming possibilities early!
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 6: 40 Artifacts • Catalog of unusually powerful magical weapons, armor, and accessories. • $6
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables • Every kind of treasure imaginable, from the mundane to the incredible, with an option to generate hoards randomly. • $11
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 10: Taverns • Four ready-to-use taverns with maps, along with the innkeeper profession and rules for tavern-related tasks and treasures. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 17: Guilds • Guide to companies, families, noble courts, secret societies, and other organizations heroes can petition for aid or even join. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3: Born of Myth & Magic • Sixteen legendary dangers and magical threats, plus more monster modifications. • $6
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 1: Glittering Prizes • Guide to interesting coins, wondrous fabrics, unusual materials, and strange treasure origins. • $6
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 2: Epic Treasures • Yet more amazing items for heroes to find. • $5
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon • The heroes must race rivals across wilderness and dungeon to find an amazing artifact before it’s too late. • $10
These items all contain lots of extra material you can use in a Dungeon Fantasy RPG game, but exploiting them will require more effort; they may refer to abilities or rules that aren't in the boxed set, draw upon other supplements in the series, etc.
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians • Options, variants, gear, and abilities for everyone’s favorite warriors of the wild. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 18: Power Items • Additional rules and options for power items. • $5
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 16: Wilderness Adventures • Gear and abilities for the great outdoors, along with expanded rules and advice for wilderness quests. • $10
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen • Professions intended for sidekicks and hired help – or for the heroes of a low-powered campaign. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 14: Psi • Mentalist profession and its psionic abilities, as well as psi-themed monsters, hazards, and gear. • $10
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 13: Loadouts • Ready-to-print equipment lists for every profession up to this point in the series. • $10
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja • Ninja and assassin professions, their abilities, and their special weapons and equipment. • $5
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups • New abilities for every profession and race up to this point in the series. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners • Demonologist, elementalist, necromancer, and shaman professions, plus servitors to summon and notes on the places they’re summoned from. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics • Rules for matching the abilities of clerics and holy warriors to the gods they serve, plus special gear for holy folk. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies • Supernatural pets, servitors, and familiars for spellcasters. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages • Artificer and scholar professions, along with rules for arcane writings. • $5
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level • Nonhuman races, mixed professions, and new abilities. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic • A new flexible magic system and the incanter profession which uses it. • $8
- GURPS Locations: Hellsgate • A bit of Hell on Earth – useful both as a mapped-out town for delvers to visit and as a setting for urban adventures. • $8
- GURPS Locations: The Tower of Octavius • This luxuriously mapped, ready-to-use wizard’s tower is suitable as a dungeon, stronghold, or location in town. • $8
- GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic • Describes seven distinct wizard subtypes, each with its own colorful magic. Requires GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles to use to the fullest. • $8
- GURPS Powers: Divine Favor • Alternative system of clerical magic, used in several articles in the content listed under Pyramid Magazine. (Refers to GURPS Powers, but you don’t need that to use this item!). • $5
- GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles • Wizards need not be all the same! Learn how to differentiate them by their training. (Refers to GURPS Magic and GURPS Thaumatology, but you don’t need them to use this item!) • $8
These items are mostly redundant if you're getting the Dungeon Fantasy boxed set. They're recommended only for completists and tinkerers who need to see what assumptions were made for the rest of the series.
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers • Templates, abilities, and gear for heroes. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons • Rules for adventuring tasks in town and the dungeon, plus advice to the GM on designing dungeons and handing out loot. • $8
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 • Thirty monsters with tactics and plot ideas, plus options for modifying any kind of monster. • $10
- GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2: Icky Goo • Slimes, molds, oozes, fungi, and other things to make you go “Ew!” • $6
Pyramid magazine presents new material for GURPS each month. You can add on subscriptions, a special compilation, and whole issues that have been devoted to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. Much of this material will require extra effort to use with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, drawing on the GURPS Basic Set and possibly other GURPS supplements – even those outside of the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line.
- Pyramid subscriptions • Cutting-edge GURPS support, features, and articles, downloadable every month! Each issue is a new theme . . . but watch for an upcoming "Stretch Goal" for why a Pyramid subscription might become extra useful. • Three-month subscription: $20 • Six-month subscription: $40 • Twelve-month subscription: $70
- Pyramid: The Dungeon Fantasy Collection • This compilation collects Pyramid articles of particular interest to Dungeon Fantasy gamers, which have appeared outside of the Dungeon Fantasy- and Alternate Dungeons-themed issues (below). It includes over 20 articles taken from issues 10, 13, 19, 25, 38, 43, 47, 48, 56, 58, 61, 64, 68, 70, 75, 77, 78, 80, and 82. This is a direct compilation, without updates or changes. Scheduled for release in December 2016. • $15
- Pyramid #3/36: Dungeon Fantasy • New professions, advice, and power-ups. • $8
- Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II • Super-sized dungeons, plus new racial options, power-ups, loadouts, and monsters. • $8
- Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III • Traps, power-ups, and wizardry options. • $8
- Pyramid #3/76: Dungeon Fantasy IV • Living dungeons, secret spells, and new magic items, monsters, and professions. • $8
- Pyramid #3/72: Alternate Dungeons • Mix things up! Do away with character points, explore the dungeons of Mars, play as the monsters, or adventure in a video game. • $8
- Pyramid #3/89: Alternate Dungeons II • Explore! A world without death, the Mysterious East, or a titan’s house – or exploration for its own sake. • $8
To give you the best possible survey experience after the project closes, we're working with BackerKit, a company devoted to helping creators manage such details as add-ons and collecting shipping costs from backers. It is only through their services that we're willing to offer such a wide number of add-ons. Thank you, BackerKit, for your expertise and wonderful survey tools!
Risks and challenges
The greatest risk of all is completing the artwork, layout, and manufacturing of the game. The text for the box set is 100% complete, and artwork and layout have started, but there are always opportunities for things to go sideways during a creative project.
None of the stretch goal PDFs have been written yet, because whether we even get to do them depends on you! However, we've produced high-quality PDFs every month for years, and we feel confident in our ability to deliver on our stretch-goal promises in a timely manner.
We believe we have taken all of the steps necessary to bring the game to completion and ship on schedule. Our last Kickstarter project -- Car Wars Arenas in 2015 -- delivered on schedule, and we think this game will also ship on time. As always, we will update backers throughout the entire process and deliver as close to on time as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)