It's Almost Time
The days are getting longer, the air warmer, and -
Enough chitchat - When do I get my zombies!?!!
Barring any major disasters (e.g. asteroids, zombies, Apple, etc.) we are going to launch the iOS version before the end of this month. So, even if that means 29th February - and we hope it’s sooner - that’s just over two weeks.
Just imagine - two weeks until you too can be running for your life from zombies and saving humanity. It’s been a long journey, but we’re nearly there now!
A word of warning: when we launch, you may look at the price we’re selling the app for in the store and go: “WAITASECOND, I thought you promised me $20 of value for $10! This app isn’t retailing for anything like $20!” That’s true. But this initial app release is just the start of what we have in store for you.
You’re not just getting the initial Zombies, Run! for your pledge, you’re also getting all the paid add-ons we’re developing for Season 1. We already have three planned, including:
- Couch to 5k missions
- Interval training missions
- “The Lab”, a top secret set of new missions and gameplay
This means you may see the core Zombies, Run! game on sale on the App Store for a bit less than what you’ve paid - but the total cost of the game plus add-ons during Season 1 will remain above $20. We promise to look after you guys - you’ve let us make the game and kept the faith with us. If you’re really concerned just send us an email; we’re happy to talk to you.
In addition, as Kickstarter backers, you’re also getting something that’s totally exclusive - the ability to use your ZombieLink login to switch between our iOS and upcoming Android client for free. Other users will have to buy the app separately for each platform, but your pre-order means that if you have an iPhone now but later switch to the Android, you won’t need to pay again. Hells yeah.
Will it have X feature?
We’re really happy with the set of features we’ve managed to include in the launch version of Zombies, Run! but we also have a long list of things we’d like to add and improve in future versions. So, rest assured, we’re in this for the long haul. The game will just keep getting better and better as we add more polish and features - and of course, you’ll get this all for free.
We can give you no better proof that it'll be fun at launch than the fact that our beta testers (using a limited version of the game with just two missions) have said things like:
- Evaded all #zombies mobs :-) One of my best sprint ever; This app works!
- This game will make you sweat. Perfect junction between game design and run tracker.
- Just tried @zombiesrungame and for the first time in my life I feel truly alive.
How will I get the iOS app?
It’s super-simple. You’ll download “ZR Advance” from the App Store (it’s free), enter your ZombieLink email and password, and that’ll unlock all the content. Most of you aren’t on ZombieLink yet, but we’ll send out an invitation closer to the time so you can set (or reset) your password.
But don’t worry about this for the moment - we’ll send out another email with clear instructions when the app is ready.
What about Android users, eh? You hate us, right?
We are moving full steam ahead and are still on track for a Spring release, with a beta release in May or earlier. We’re an indie dev, so we only have two full time developers working on this project. Right now, one is working on iOS, and the other is on Android, so there’s no question of us neglecting Android users!
OK, now you can talk about other stuff...
Thanks! So, a quick round-up:
- We are into full swing in production of the T-shirts, and they should be going out later this month.
- We have also received all the posters, and they’ll be going out this month or next month (see below for a photo of both, modelled by Alex, our developer in the T-shirt, and Matt, our audio director with the poster)
- Our celebrity voice casting is still on hold, but will resume again when the game has launched (partly because that’ll make it more likely for them to return our calls!)
- We’re in the early stages of scripting the Couch to 5k and Interval Training add-ons.
- We’re going to be at SXSW, so if you’re around, drop us an email or a tweet @zombiesrungame - There May Be Swag!
We’re almost there! Stay safe and keep well,
Six to Start and Naomi Alderman