In the ancient world, three Warrior-Priests bring hope and justice through their mastery of the elemental arcane.
Until the Third Night of the Third Moon, Our Journey Continues...
The Three, a student film written and directed by Daniel Martin, is an action-fantasy epic with roots in Kabbalistic and Eastern mysticism. We follow three elemental masters - The Wanderer, The Priest, and The Warrior - as they travel throughout the ancient Middle East on a journey to help those in need.
Poster Design -- credit: Scott Winters
The film itself is set to run at 10 minutes, divided into three sections - representative of Earth, Water, and Fire respectively - with each featuring intense action and special effects.
Seek the adventure and magic of a forgotten time. Venture with our heroes from dangerous night markets to the watery depths. Know the Truth.
The Warrior -- Master of Fire
Though evil, sin, and darkness may stand in your way... Fear Not.
"A different kind of student film." - Chachie Hood, Producer of 'WRAITH'
"... possibly one of the most ambitious projects to ever come out of the RTVF Department." - Ron Lechler, UNT Graduate Student
This project is one of eight shorts being produced for the Advanced Film course at the University of North Texas' Radio, Television & Film Department. As such, our crew comprises almost exclusively of talented and highly capable RTVF Seniors with access to professional equipment. We will be shooting on a RED Scarlet Digital Cinema camera in order to capture the magic of this story in glorious 4K resolution.
Daniel Martin - Writer-Director // Annie Williams - Producer //
Aaron Muñoz Z. - Cinematographer // Michael Ryan Fritsche - Editor
We have gone to great lengths in order to procure some of the most talented and prolific actors in the DFW area to help make the story come alive. As far as talent and looks both go, we are certain that our cast will be up to the challenge.
The Three -- Brian Cook, Lance De Los Santos & Michael Green
In order to effectively portray the mystical tone of The Three, we are going to be utilizing a vast amount of stunt work and CGI, and collaborating with the UNT College of Music's own Brandon Maahs for an original score.
Concept Art -- The Priest underwater
It's our hope that through all of this, we can produce something truly awe inspiring.
Symbology and visual intrigue play a major role in The Three. Therefore, in addition to the obvious Kickstarter film rewards such as online codes and BluRays, we are giving away treasures and artifacts from the film itself, complete with written insight on the significance of each. You can look through these for yourself at the right of this page.
The higher one pays, the more extravagant the gift, but every dollar is extremely appreciated and represents another step towards making this dream a reality.
-- Also, through a collaboration with the other seven films currently in the works, we are pleased to offer the complete bundle disc of all eight Advanced Film 2014 productions for a $40 donation. --
A strikingly huge project, The Three will require wise spending in many different areas and we've planned to stretch our dollars as far as they will go. But unless you help us raise our $2,500 goal, we will leave with nothing. If you choose to donate, it will be put towards any one of the following vital categories:
- Costuming & Props: As previously stated, The Three is highly dependent upon its visual impact, time period, and setting. While the planned costumes and sets are somewhat simplistic, gathering the required materials and props to make a cohesive period-fantasy such as this will require both time and a decent portion of the budget.
- Locations & Sets: The team behind this film is based in Denton, located in the urban North Texas area. Much of the film requires scenes of vast, open plains, forested lakeside, or night market alleyways, and with this comes either journeying to such places or heavy set dressing. Your donation can help with fuel and set design.
Scouting Hickory Creek
- Visual Effects: While digital effects have the potential to be free if built from scratch - with most of our stuff being undertaken by the very talented Adrian Jensen - we will most likely be working with high-quality, finely-detailed CGI models made available online through 3D artists. This is a new frontier for most of our team, despite preparing for the modified workflow, and therefore unexpected costs may arise from this endeavor. On top of this, there will be a few shots that require certain apparatuses to be built in order to achieve desired practical effects, and a small portion of the budget is dedicated to the materials and construction of these.
Concept Art -- Opening Scene
- Safety: We will be dealing with potentially dangerous scenarios in order to capture some of the action sequences here, and we want to leave as little room for error as possible. Some amount of the money raised may go towards making sure that the proper insurance is in place and trained professionals are on set if needed.
- Equipment: It is here that the visual style of the film will be established. Although the University of North Texas has a wide array of Grade A equipment including the RED, there are a few extra pieces of equipment we need to procure from third-party sources, including the necessary peripherals for underwater photography.
The Adv. Film DPs assembling the RED Scarlet
- Festivals & Competitions: Obviously, we would love for the most amount of people possible to see The Three. The importance of short films in our future careers cannot be overstated, and the starting point to gaining popularity is the short film circuit. Your contributions can help us get into some of the most prestigious festivals upon the film's completion.
- Rewards: In order to recover the lost artifacts promised to you, coin must be put forth. DVD & BluRay duplication, Poster Printing, etc. all cost money (granted, a very small part of the budget), but we have some awesome plans, and we would've gladly put our own cash down on this for you anyway.
- Food: It seems like an extravagance to successfully get a film funded in order for its crew to eat pizza, but even the smoothest and least rigorous shoots can be plagued by hunger. With this production being time-consuming, labor intensive, sometimes based in the middle of nowhere, and having a large crew that is ultimately unpaid, catering will be extremely important and highly appreciated.
We hope your interest is piqued and that you consider this project to be one worthy of your time and investment, for we hope to create something truly great. For promo material and updates, connect with us at:
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We have done our best to schedule and plan every aspect of this undertaking, but any film-related difficulties - weather problems, equipment failure, stress - are still possible. But, with your support and a good head on our shoulders, we WILL produce something great for all of you.
Also, this is our first Kickstarter campaign, so while the dates listed for Rewards are preferable, we may need some more time than we realize to get it all together. We ask for your patience and understanding.
Of course! Just make sure that you specify that you'd prefer the Adv. Film DVD when making a pledge of greater than $40, or we'll just assume you'd like "The Three" on BluRay by default.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
"The Scroll of Heroes" - Upon completed funding, look upon our websites and see thy name inscribed on parchment with fellow heroes.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $3 or moreYou selected
"The Book of Legends" - Thy name shall live forever as part of our story. You are granted a space in the Special Thanks credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $6 or moreYou selected
"Know the Tale" - Seek the truth, and you shall find it. Receive an unlock code for the film before it is widely released.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (26 left of 30)
"Banner of The Three" - Show your allegiance, and display this movie-style poster with pride. Backers are also granted an unlock code for the film.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
6 backers Limited (24 left of 30)
"Tokens of the Elements" - The gratitude of The Three. Along with an unlock code and a poster, receive a small gift representative of Fire, Water, or Earth and with a scrap of parchment detailing the symbolic significance.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (48 left of 50)
"Keeper of the Tale" - Thought becomes action, abstract becomes object. Receive a BluRay of "The Three," complete with special features and commentary, as well as a complimentary Banner.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $40 or moreYou selected
-- "The Advanced Film Special" -- In collaboration with the other seven A.Film productions at the University's RTVF department, $40 will get you a compilation disc of the entire package of complete shorts including "The Three."Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $60 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (7 left of 8)
"Icons of The Three" - Artifacts of times long past, objects of power untold. Backers will receive a random piece of costuming or prop (The Wanderer's pendant, The Priest's cassock, etc.), along with a handwritten letter explaining the symbolic significance of each. Backers also receive an autographed Blu-Ray copy of the completed film.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $70 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
"Gift of the Scribe" - Tools to record the journey yet to come. Receive The Scribe's inkpot, bamboo pens, roll mat, and a scrap of enchanted parchment seen in the Teaser video. This backer also receives an autographed Blu-Ray copy of the film.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $85 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
"Tapestry of Earth" - Said to be made from what remains of The Wanderer's own cloak, this unique tapestry features the iconic knotwork of The Three. Backer will also receive an autographed Blu-Ray copy of "The Three."Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
6 backers Limited (4 left of 10)
"Mystic" - Without you, the story would fade into obscurity. Backer receives a signed BluRay, special edition poster, all three Elemental Tokens, and autographed behind-the-scenes photos from the cast and crew.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $333 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (1 left of 3)
"Light of the Divine" - Stand tall in the darkness. Receive one of The Three's signature lanterns, a handwritten letter of gratitude, and a Blu-Ray copy of the completed film.Estimated delivery:
- (28 days)