About this project
We made our goal with 26 hours left in the campaign! There are a few hours left in this campaign and all additional funds will be used for REVEALED and to expand our printing options.
This Kickstarter Project
REVEALED: Personal Visions of Transformation and Discovery is a fine art hard-cover book created out of a one-of-a-kind project uncovering what lies beneath the surface in each of us through individual portraits and short personal essays. This book will contain 124 REVEALED subjects I have photographed from the past 6-years from around the country.
The book's introduction is written by author Denise Linn, an author of 15 books. She writes about REVEALED, "Although my words are linear and limited for the panoramic experience that awaited me inside these pages, page by page, as I savored Scott Indermaur’s remarkable book, I felt that I was privy to vast secrets of the soul. Each photo was a kind of visual diary that revealed far more than mere words on paper could ever tell. Each image profoundly captured a glimpse into the depths of the essence of individual. Sometimes it seemed almost too private, too intimate, but I don’t look away. I go deeper."
What is the REVEALED project?
Upon examining my relationship with my own spirituality, I wanted to learn how other people connect with their sense of self. My intentions were to photograph spirituality from a non-literal perspective. I wanted to peel back the layers of traditional spirituality and focus on the individual’s personal essence.
I presented my subjects with a small wooden box and asked them in advance of the photography session to bring items that represented their spiritual experience in which to fill the space. The concept of identity and the awareness of a higher existence quickly evolved into a vessel of self-exploration and quiet confession. I soon discovered that my subjects shared far more … the works I am selecting for publication illustrate my subjects’ responses to the project, as well as the inadvertent disclosures of their most subtle hopes and fears.
What I find to be most interesting is the profound effect this project has had on so many of my subjects. Given the opportunity to look within, many experienced a journey that took them much deeper than their initial inner self-examination, which revealed undiscovered truths about themselves. I asked my subjects to reflect upon their responses through essays.
Visit REVEALED's website for more information, videos and photography.
The Kickstarter Project
The purpose for this funding is to create a heartfelt book that readers can connect with. This book, REVEALED: Personal Visions of Transformation and Discovery, will also allow this project to be exposed to an even larger group of people and will be the spring board to take this project to an international level.
I have selected a team to help create this book. It comprises of a retoucher, designer, publicist, printer and editor.
- Printing of a hardcover book with approximately 120 pages
- Final retouch, CMYK conversions and final color corrections
- Design of the cover and book
- Shipping and handling
- Editing of essays by an editor
- The photography has already been completed
- Of course, all the other cool rewards
- This project as a whole has already cost about $40,000 to produce. $4,500 from a RISCA grant and the rest from myself. In addition, many vendors have donated their time or discounted their rates to make this project happen.
A little More Information
This project has much depth to it and here are a few highlights. Please visit REVEALED's site for more insights.
- REVEALED has been put into 3 sections listed below, with over 200 subjects participating.
- The core REVEALED project subjects will comprise this book.
- This I Believe REVEALED - a collaboration with Rhode Island's National Public Radio (NPR) station WRNI in which we photograph their This I Believe Rhode Island essayists as REVEALED subjects.
- REVEALED Class - School children create a class art project based on REVEALED and what they believe in. I then photograph them as REVEALED subjects with their very own boxes they can take home. I'm very excited to see this new project growing into more schools.
- REVEALED: Portraits from Beneath One's Surface is a short film created in 2011 that follows 11 REVEALED subjects through the REVEALED process. As of today, it has been accepted into 3 film festivals, 1 festival honorable mention, and three - 4 star reviews. The trailer can be viewed at the end of the Kickstarter video or here.
- I have my own exhibit of This I Believe REVEALED at the Newport Art Museum in 2012. In addition to an exhibit in Providence, RI and New London, CT this year.
- The next segment of this project will take it overseas. My goal is to introduce all aspects of REVEALED to different cultures throughout the world and grow this photography project, creating several films, books, and an exhibit that shares our differences and similarities through REVEALED.
A glimpse of some of the awards:
Potential book covers for
REVEALED: Personal Visions of Transformations and Discovery
Of course, the book covers may change and being part of this project you will get updates via Kickstarter. The REVEALED book will contain about 125 REVEALED subjects and their entire essays or excerpts from their essays.
Ebooks will also be created for the iPad, Kindle and of course a PDF version. This shows up in the $125 and above rewards levels.
La Paloma - The Dove limited edition poster
This poster was produced a few years ago, and this is the first time it's been made available.
DVD Documentary Film
REVEALED: Portraits from Beneath One's Surface (Special Edition DVD)
The $25 level includes the digital download of this film.
The $125 and above levels include this Special Edition DVD signed by the filmmaker, Christian de Rezendes. The DVD includes:
- The 42-minute film “REVEALED: Portraits from Beneath One’s Surface”
- 3 extended photo session films by the director
- 1 NEW session with a subject not included in the film
- Previously produced This I Believe REVEALED short films by Scott Indermaur
- 2 NEW short films about the work of REVEALED subjects from the film
- “Revealing REVEALED,” a short film from Director Rod Weiner about previous REVEALED sessions held in Kansas and New York City.
- REVEALED Trailer
- Trailers of previous films by Christian de Rezendes
Soundtrack Inspired By and Created For REVEALED
The film also contains music commisioned for the documentarybyBeth Burnett. The REVEALED soundtrack is available as a reward. You can listen to the tracks on the REVEALED site.
“Beth Burnett’s music complements the film to utter perfection, as well, making for what is unquestionably an incredibly touching and life-changing documentary short," says Richard Propes, The Independent Critic (REVEALED: Grade: A+, Stars: 4.0)
REVEALED: Portraits from Beneath One's Surface Film poster
Limited Edition Prints and Limited Edition Portfolio
This is the first time I have offered limited edition prints!
All limited edition prints are archival pigmented prints and signed on the back by Scott Indermaur. 11x14 prints are an edition of 100 for each subject. 16 x 20 prints are an edition 50 for each subject. The cool thing is you get to choose the subject you want a print of.
The limited edition portfolio will be a hand crafted box containing 15 - 11x14 prints of your choice. Prints are in editions of 100. The earlier you order this portfolio, the better your chance of choosing your favorite subjects. Or, I can pick the 15 subjects for you. This portfolio will also include the essay from each subject.
Favorite print/subject must be selected before the book ships. Images will be placed online for you to choose from.
Bring REVEALED to your city to reveal your friends and local school's students, have a REVEALED Exhibit, film screening and/or presentation/discussion
Scott Indermaur has spoken about his project many times at schools (4th grade through college), churches, theaters, photography groups, cancer survivor groups and many other groups. This is an inspirational topic. The presentation will be tailored to your group's interests and can include the film or other video pieces that have been created for REVEALED.
REVEALED Class is the latest project out of REVEALED where Scott speaks with elementary children about creating their very own REVEALED box that represents who they are and what they believe in. Boxes are given to the children to take home after they are created and Scott has photographed them.
Film Screenings have also included a Q&A with Scott Indermaur after the film.
Of course I have a reward level to reveal you and 5 of your friends. In addition, I will also visit your school of choice to photograph one class of 30 students or less. I will coordinate with the teacher a few weeks beforehand to get the children creating their REVEALED boxes. I'm a flexible photographer and if you want to tweak this package, drop me a note and lets discuss.
It will only be charged if I make the goal of $16,000 and when it ends on November 19th, 2011. Please pledge sooner than later. This helps on many different levels. Also, keep sharing the project on Facebook, Twitter, email and in conversation.
Support this project
- (28 days)