Dear Backers & Friends of SIMPLcase,
It has been quite an interesting journey of learning and continuous improvement since we successfully funded our SIMPLcase for iPhone 5. Regrettably, there wasn't enough interest in SIMPLcase for iPhone 4 / 4s to fund an injection molded production version of it. However, we have not forgotten about those of you who still rock an iPhone 4 or 4s, and want the convenience and security offered by the unique features of SIMPLcase...
We are pleased to inform you that SIMPLcase for iPhone 4 / 4s has been redesigned as a 3D printable product!
Instead of the rubber insert, small clips have been designed to secure up to 3 micro SIM cards, and the SIM eject tool. Additionally, the hands free card stand slots are also still there.
You can purchase a 3D printed SIMPLcase for iPhone 4 / 4s at one of a couple of popular 3D printed products companies:
Both 3D printing companies offer similar materials and colors. We have already successfully ordered 3D printed SIMPLcases from both vendors.
- If you're not familiar with 3D printing, please be aware that the surface finish of these objects is rather coarse, even if you select a 'polished' material.
- Colored 3D printed objects are color dyed, and the color will slightly wear and fade over time.
- Although a 3D printed case will offer scratch protection, the mechanical properties of these materials and resulting objects are not as strong as a typical, injection molded plastic product. That being said, we have been using and testing the cases on Ed's iPhone 4, and other than a bit of color fade, the cases have held up quite well to daily use. He's even dropped it once, albeit only from table height. Still, it was onto a wooden floor, and the case and phone survived without issue.
- 3D printed objects do not hold as fine a dimensional tolerance as a typical, injection molded part. Be aware that the finished product may be a little tighter or a little looser than what you normally expect from an iPhone case.
- We are unable to guarantee or control the quality or delivery of these 3D printed cases, as we are not the manufacturer - just the designer. If you order a 3D printed SIMPLcase, and it has any defects, please directly contact the 3D printing company from where you ordered the part. Out of 4 test prints, we received one (from Shapeways) that was warped enough that it didn't properly fit the iPhone. This is not usual, but it can happen.
If you do order a 3D printed SIMPLcase for iPhone 4 / 4s, we'd love to hear about your experience with it.
As always, safe travels... Bon Voyage!
Simon & Ed