Does this sound familiar?
Your evening meal still warm in your belly, the campfire now turned to red smoldering ashes. You fall asleep with a peaceful smile on your face, just to awaken suddenly at 2am by the shivering cold. You become restless, your teeth begin chattering, and you just can't get warm!
You’re miserable, freezing, rolling in and out of pitiful sleep knowing this is going to be a long, dreadful night.
There are options for getting warm. But so few of them actually include SLEEP.
And isn’t that what you came here to do?
Now, imagine the same scenario. Only this time when you wake up cold at 2am, you simply drift right back off to sleep in a warm and toasty slumber, because instant warmth is at your fingertips by just the push of a button.
In the past, our options for warming up in the wild have been limited (to say the least)...
- Chemical Hand Warmers? Awesome. My body has turned to ice, but at least my palms are sweating! Besides, single use chemical warmers? They hit the trash and poison our planet, no thanks.
- Heat up water in my Nalgene? Listen, I'm the only one that should be needing to take a leak here. Waking up soaked because my bottle decided to tinkle? That's a bit counterproductive to the mission here. (this has actually happened to me, not cool. COLD, yes. but way not cool)
- Do jumping jacks, push-ups, run in place? What is this? 24 Hour Fitness?! 2am is for restful, restorative sleep, NOT getting swole.
- What Else? Rekindle the fire, heat up a rock, snuggle a bear, crawl into the wolves den?!! Maybe! People get desperate when they're cold! I don't know about you, but I make it a habit to avoid 3rd degree burns (or animal maulings) in the wild.
..And the list of heat-producing methods goes on and on and on. Most of which do NOT actually involve sleeping through the night.
After more cold, sleepless nights in the wild than I care to admit, I vowed to fix this problem with a reliable, sustainable, and modern solution that does not require disrupting your cozy sleeping quarters in search of warmth.
and so... the Hot Pocket was born!
How it Works
What backers are saying:
- "Have enjoyed two of the Sierra Madre products I've already backed and received and look forward to Ninox too. I trust this brand and have this exact problem with staying warm."
- "My wife is always cold, seems like a neat idea and might get us camping together more often!"
- "We are avid campers in the Rockies and this fit multiple needs including a space saver bag and a small heated blanket. I also love inventive ideas in the camping communities."
- "I like the idea a lot. Using something that everyone already uses (stuff sack for sleeping bag) is a really smart idea. "
- "I spend a lot of time in the backcountry in the winter and think that this is an outstanding safety device! The ability to warm an injured skier would be invaluable!"
Founder/CEO Richard Rhett, discusses current prototypes and shows off the Small Hot Pocket. Though only a Single Panel prototype it jumped 20° F very quickly! The Double Radiant Heat Panels are obviously much faster, stay tuned for an update!
Add on Options
This project is promoted by Jellop, a direct response online advertising agency specializing in Kickstarter campaigns on Facebook Ads and Google AdWords.
These guys rock.
Risks and challenges
This is our sixth Kickstarter campaign, we've learned a lot throughout our last five campaigns - not to mention the last 9 years of business ;). We like to think that we're getting better and better at what we do. As with tackling anything new, we know there will be challenges along the way, we know there will be set backs, but rest assured we never slow down - not even a little. We're 115% pedal to the metal kinda company that doesn't take no for an answer.
There are a few items that could challenge us and our time line.
1) Battery design, this will be a new endeavor for us. We will be opening a mold and creating an electronically controlled battery bank - which we are crazy excited about. That said this is a brand new field for us and we are hedging our risk by partnering with a Best in Industry portable battery bank manufacturer (they build for Goal Zero). We know there will be many unforeseen challenges when we move to final production, but we're brave and ready to face them!
2) Fabric, this is the second longest lead item in our supply chain and if the produced fabric does not meet our high quality control specifications it will have to be redone. This could cause an unforeseen delay.
3) Shipping around the world always presents risk, we source from several suppliers around the world and our logistics web is quite complex - so there's always potential for crazy unexpected delays at home or abroad. PLEASE NOTE, ALL CUSTOMS / DUTIES IN YOUR COUNTRY ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY - THIS IS OUT OF OUR HANDS. Sometimes international shipments experience unforeseen delays that are out of our control.
4) If we add-on any new products during this campaign, we could experience delays.
5) If we receive a monstrosity of backers (awesome) we could experience a slight delay, however we do feel confident in our supply chain and it's scalability.
We are partnered with "Best in Industry" suppliers and manufacturers that not only represent high quality products but they also mirror our values as a company in 'better than fair' labor and excellent employee conditions. We put boots on the ground in all of the facilities we work with, inspecting the entire process of our products - ensuring most importantly that people are treated with respect, dignity, and fairness.
Please note that we are a small company and we are dependent on several other companies staying in business and doing their job well - so with the launch of new products we sure do appreciate your patience! Our policy is honesty, transparency, and customer service in every aspect of our business. You make this happen and we will do everything we can to exceed your expectations, serve you, and equip you for adventure! Thanks for joining us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)