About this project
Side Quest – Pocket Adventures is a dungeon crawling card game that fits in your pocket. Explore dungeons solo or with up to 3 friends in this fun cooperative adventure that focuses on tough decisions, character advancement and push your luck mechanics.
- Easy to learn - The rules are elegant and can be learnt and taught in minutes.
- Variable play length - The game comes with multiple quests to complete, each with different play times.
- Adjustable difficulty - This game is tough! But if it's a little too hard for your group, there are ways adjust the difficulty to your tastes.
- Layered depth - Change your characters, tactics, combinations and dungeons. Lots of replay value in a small box.
Side Quest is a pocket-sized game that packs a big punch. With a single deck of cards and a couple of dice you will battle your way through a decision-packed dungeon. Which monsters will you fight and which will you run from? Should you grab some loot before you rescue the damsel? Which gear will help your heroes reach the end of the dungeon and which will help you fight the boss that blocks your exit?
This is a fully co-operative game where working together is key. The game is played horizontally, with a row of location cards placed next to each other. Hero cards go under these to show where the Heroes are, while Monsters and Loot cards go on top. Each turn the dungeon is populated with random Monsters and Loot cards, so you'd better deal with them quickly! Do you grab the Death Sabre that just dropped? Or attack the Zombies that are about to feast on your friend?
Each player has 3 actions during their turn. They can move, attack, cast spells, trade and more. Then any remaining Monsters 'activate' and will usually attack the nearest Heroes. Players will have specific objectives to accomplish before they are overwhelmed, like finding the Key to the next level or slaying a Boss.
Sound simple? Well, it is! The rules are easy to learn - the complexity comes from the card's abilities. Monsters and Locations all have different effects (usually bad!) that you must overcome. But don't worry! Heroes, Weapons, Items and Spells all add unique gameplay that will help you out.
There are a wide range of quests to play, including ultra-tough single-player missions, challenging 30 minute pick-up games and grueling 2+ hour dungeon treks. With loads of different cards you'll never play the same game twice.
Plan together, fight together, win together!
Would you like to know more? Check out this great video by Threecubed for a breakdown of the rules.
We set out to make an epic dungeon crawler that was super-portable. Side Quest packs all the gameplay into a single deck of cards and two dice, making it the perfect game to keep in your bag and bring round to your friends.
Check out what other people thought of Side Quest:
- "Side quest is one of those games that catches you by surprise due to its size. They set out to capture the fill of a dungeon crawler without the miniatures and massive boards and they achieved it with only the opportunity to continue to grow this game in the future with expansions." - Tony from Rolling Dice & Taking Names
- "There is a clever process that builds each level of the dungeon that guarantees you’ll never play the same game twice! ... It felt like a heavier game that didn’t require a ton of time figuring out the rules." - Andrew Smith, The Married Gamers
- "Mechanically side quest is a solid little b*^!%d, it's lean with minimal clunk, it sets up quickly plays up to four and scales well… It's such a great idea, a really interesting concept and something fresh I've not discovered before…" - Mike, Who Dares Rolls
- "The sub-title of Side Quest is Pocket Adventures, and it’s a pretty good description. All it takes to play the game is a deck of their cards and a couple of normal dice. Simple, portable, sorted." - Dion Winton-Polak, Geek Syndicate
... we don't have any!
We want you to get an awesome game as soon as possible. This is why we're not offering complicated reward tiers or stretch goals that would make the distribution process take longer. We're keeping it as simple as possible: support our project and in return we'll send you the game.
There are no artificial stretch goals here - we're simply working as hard as we can to get as much game to you as possible.
And there are no paid reviews either. We don't want to give you false impressions of the game, so all of our reviewers have given their honest feedback, which has in turn helped shape our game.
We’ve had lots of brilliant feedback about Side Quest, and a very popular request has been to make the box large enough for sleeved cards. While making the basic box larger is possible, it would mean the game would not be quite as portable as we’d like it.
So we’ve found an awesome alternative – an optional custom leather deck box made by Faun Forge. We contacted the folks who make these beautiful items and they were very happy to make special boxes for us at an almost 50% discount!
This box is available in the new ‘Armourer’ pledge level. It includes a copy of Side Quest in its original tuck box, a Faun Forge leather deck box, and shipping for the deck box (you still have to add shipping for the game, which will be sent separately).
We aren’t making any profit on these boxes – we want you to get these beautiful boxes at as low a price as possible as a small thank you for so soundly smashing our funding goal. Also we will process the order with Faun Forge as soon as the Kickstarter completes so it’s likely that the Deck Boxes will be shipped shortly after.
You can see a review of the deck box here:
Our Art Goblins have been working flat-out to give Side Quest a makeover during its campaign. Check out the progress!
Can't wait for Side Quest action? Well, why not download and play the whole game for free!
And if you'd like to simply view the rule book (text only, final version coming soon), you can find it right here.
Risks and challenges
We want to minimize the risks involved as much as possible, and as such have chosen only reputable and highly recommended companies to work with, so if problems do arise we know people we can rely on to help us out.
All of the required art has been created and adjusted to suit the printers so we are not predicting trouble in that department, but even if it does we have a graphic designer on 24/7 stand-by ready to solve any issues that may emerge.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)