A GAME OF THRONES, Fantasy Gaming Coins, by Shire Post Mint
Fans love our fantasy collector coins, created the old-fashioned way with blood and sweat, and more than a few tears along the way. The biggest complaint has been the cost, which puts most of our coins out of the range of people who would like to use piles of them in a gaming scenario.
We hear and obey!
We present here a plan to bring the craftsmanship and quality materials of our own shop to the gaming world by gearing up to larger production runs so as to get the price low enough for gamers to enjoy!
Don't just take our word for it.
Here are the guys from 2 Champs and a Chump talking about our new A Game of Thrones gaming coins:
We will make no compromise on quality materials. These coins will be made-in-USA, of solid traditional coin metals like copper, brass, and bronze... we will never use the cut-rate method of electroplating cheap die-cast zinc.
We've been making fantasy coins under license with George R.R. Martin since 2003, long before HBO ever approached him with the idea of making the A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series of novels into a television series named after the title of the first book: A GAME OF THRONES. That show has become a run-away hit, and has spawned a whole series of derivative phenomena, like games and collectibles. In those early days Shire Post Mint was a one-man workshop and could be considered a hobbyist fan-art project. Since that time we have grown to a five-person full-time enterprise. Our license with George R.R. Martin covers the making and selling of "coins" that are designed to be from within his fantasy world. We have made everything from copper pennies, to silver stags, and even real gold dragons (see one of our previous Kickstarters: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1717678842/game-of-thrones-westeros-golden-dragon-coins )
Our gaming coins are designed specifically to replace of the cardboard tokens in the A Game of Thrones living card game from Fantasy Flight Games, and may be also be used in many other gaming scenarios.
There are two main denominations, the small "half-penny" replacing the "power" token, and the larger "half-dragon" replacing the "gold" token. Below are photos of the half-dragon types, shown in "mint" condition (top) and "circulated" condition (second row). Mint condition is how coin collectors (numismatists) usually prefer their coins, but others may prefer the coins that have been tumbled and darkened to emulate the darkening and wear of decades of pocket-carry.
These are not "gaming tokens" in the usual sense... they do not say "power up" or any other game-specific terminology. Instead, they are real in-world "coins" based on thoroughly researched criteria from the Westeros.org wikipedia with help from Elio Garcia, co-author of The World of Ice And Fire, fully licensed by George R.R. Martin, and bearing the likenesses and insignia of different rulers from eight different popular Houses of Westeros. They are inexpensive enough to be substituted for the usual cardboard or plastic tokens in gaming use.
We have twelve reward levels, from Slave to King of Westeros... and a series of add-ons such that you can order virtually any combination of items! All shipping will be by USPS Priority Mail flat rate envelopes and boxes.
- We realize that not all Game of Thrones fans can afford to order the great stuff below, but by pledging at the Slave Level (below) you can receive our updates and eternal gratitude.
- The Commoner Level (below) will get you a single half-penny coin of your choice, packaged in a 3x4 hard plastic toploader with descriptive insert. A brass half-penny would be enough to buy a slice of bread or a piece of fruit in a small town.
- At the Sellsword level (below) you will receive one coin of your choice, of the eight half-dragons, packaged in a 3x4 hard plastic sleeve with descriptive insert.The Mark of Meereen and the Hand of The Reach are equivalent to the half-dragon in weight and value. A half-dragon (in real gold) would have been quite a sum of money for most people... worth more than 100 stags silver stags.
- At the Squire Level (below) you'll choose one of the six houses and receive one set of 20 half-penny coins from that house! They come loose in a ziploc bag, with descriptive insert.
Added by popular demand... the Maester's Apprentice level (below) features one full circulated set of the eight half-dragon size coins, heat sealed in a poly sleeve with a printed descriptive insert. 1/2 Dragons Also available as uncirculated set.
- At the Hedge Knight Level (below) you'll choose one of the Eight houses and receive a set of 20 half-Dragon coins from that house! They come heat-sealed in a poly bag, with descriptive insert.
- The Dockmaster Level gives five each of all the half-pennies. (below) This includes all six Houses of the circulated half-pennies.
- At the Maester Level (below) you are more concerned with collecting and example of all the varieties of coins, rather than wielding great power or wealth, so this reward features collector sets of one each of the different Half-Pennies, and one each of the different Half-Dragons, heat-sealed separately in a poly sleeve with descriptive insert. (scroll to bottom of page to see examples of the packaging) 1/2 Dragons Also available as uncirculated set.
- At the Landed Knight Level (below) you will receive 40 coins, enough to replace all the necessary gaming tokens for one player in a game. You have now attained an enviable position!
- Want some of all the 1/2 Dragons? Try the Warden's Level (below). 40 coins total will give you five each of all the different sets of the great Houses of Westeros.
- Can't decide which House to show off? Try some of all the Houses, from both the 1/2 Penny gaming sets and 1/2 Dragon gaming sets. The Grand Maester Level (below) gives you some of all of the sets, so you too can show off during your next A Game of Thrones competition.
- By backing at the Ship Captain's Level (below) you will receive a small hoard of 120 coins... all six sets of half-penny coins from six different great houses.
- At the King's Guard Level (below) you have achieved the ability to host a gaming session and supply all the necessary token coinage for three players.
- At the Noble's Level (below) you will have achieved the enviable status of wealth... a full one hundred and sixty golden coins with which to extend your power! Few will question you when gold crosses their palm!
- Backing at the Master of Coin Level (below) you will have achieved true power in the land. You are able to host a gaming session and supply up to six players with all the needed token coinage to play any of a number of immersive games. Just throw those cardboard tokens away, you'll not need them again! Two hundred eighty awesome coins featuring some of your favorite characters, and others you have only heard of from history!
- And finally... Reward #12... the most exclusive and coveted reward of all... The KING OF WESTEROS level (below). You bow to no-one! You want it all, and you will get it! This reward includes ALL the coins and sets of the above levels, PLUS, two each of all the collector coins we make! This massive dragons hoard comes in a handmade wooden treasure chest and includes TWO examples of each of the silver stags and moons, the copper stars, the copper pennies, The dragons, the half-groats, the Braavosi Squares, the Volantis Honors, the different die types of the Faceless Man, and the Dothraki wire coins. It even includes one each of the rare copper and silver full Dothraki Armbands. Over four hundred coins totalling over two thousand dollars value, packed "Pirate Style" loose in the treasure chest so that you can run your fingers through them and gloat! You could pay for a wedding (whether purple or red) with this much treasure. And I personally (Tom Maringer) will hand-make the treasure chests for these sets. This is a Kickstarter exclusive. Just five available!
We have included the following add-ons, so that you may craft almost any conceivable combination of our fantasy Game of Thrones coins that you may desire! Just add the extra amount to your pledge and let us know in the survey what add-on you are choosing.
- *New Add-on* By request: sets of Chocolate Faceless Man Coins. Chocolate Faceless Man Coins come three to a set.
- We include the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man as an add-on by request, and at a lower price than usual, as special thanks to our loyal backers!
- If we MAKE our funding goal, we will create a special Shire Post Mint coin exclusively for our backers. Each backer at the COMMONER level and above will receive one.
- If we reach $17,000, we will do something we have never done, and make a TWO-HEADED Iron Coin of the Faceless Man! This coin will be exclusive to this Kickstarter. Each backer at the SELLSWORD level and above will receive one! Only George R.R. Martin himself, outside of our backers, will get this coin!
- If we TRIPLE our funding goal, we will create a brass Faceless Man gaming coin, which will be available as an add-on, in sets of 20, at the same price as the half-dragon coins.
All shipping will be by USPS Priority Mail flat rate envelopes and boxes. That lets us simplify the shipping cost schedule and will allow unlimited add-ons without affecting shipping cost. It also provides a tracking and a higher service level than regular mail. You may include as many add-ons as you like without incurring any additional postage charges.
Risks and challenges
Risks are fairly minimal.
Design work is already complete, and we have self-funded the engraving work on the hardened steel master dies. With the tooling in-hand, there are few obstacles that can prevent the completion of the project short of global thermonuclear war.
Even the possible disaster of die-breakage can be addressed quickly due to hobbed back-ups. (18th century tech) We will do all packaging and shipping right here in our own shop and you'll get a sealed manufacturer's folio including a certificate of authenticity for your rewards. If demand is high this could be a challenging task! But we have got talented and experienced friends and family we can depend on to pitch in at need.
This is not our first trip around the block... we know how to do this!
If you were part of our earlier Kickstarter efforts then you know that we fulfill orders unusually quickly. Once the funding "makes" we'll roll the press and start producing and assembling rewards even before the end of the campaign. The earliest respondents to the surveys will ship first, possibly within a few days, and we fully expect the last parcel to leave the building no more than 60 days after the end of the campaign. So make sure your contact information is correct and please respond to the survey quickly at the end of the campaign, and you'll be playing with your awesome swag in (almost) no time!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)