About this project
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!! HopeMob.org will be launching in late March of 2012! Let's BE THE CHANGE!!
We were just featured on the Official Oprah Blog!!
Click below to hear the HopeMob theme song, "Believe!" Every movement needs music and every NEW movement needs NEW music! This song was made just for our project and is available exclusively as a download for backers!
- Did you know that $5,000,000 was spent in December alone on ads attacking Newt Gingrich in Iowa? (They worked)
- Did you know that Ron Paul spent $1.37 million on campaign ads in Iowa last month alone? (He came in 3rd Place)
- Did you know that a cruise missile costs $830,000?
- Did you know that Newt Gingrich spent $700,000 on the design of his campaign website? (Google it!)
- Did you know that it costs $100,000 an hour for President Obama to fly in Air Force One?
We spend money - but very little of it brings about real change!
Collectively, if we pulled our resources together to build the best platform for hope and change the world has ever seen, we could do more verifiable good in a day than any missile or political campaign ever could. Can I get a virtual amen? :-) Let's build some GOOD together and call it...
What is HopeMob?
In short... Choreographed Hope! We are what happens when GENEROUS STRANGERS unite!
HopeMob is exactly what it sounds like - a mob of people bringing hope. Just as Flash Mobs dance and bring spontaneous joy and laughter, HopeMob will bring caring strangers together to create sudden, yet organized relief and hope all over the world! We see a need and swarm it! Together...we are POWERFUL!
- A family loses their house in a fire. HopeMob tells their story!
- A great single mom loses her job. HopeMob profiles her!
- A first generation college student is about to drop out of school because he can't afford tuition. HopeMob spreads the word!
- A child with cancer has a wish for more Facebook fans. HopeMob tells her story!
- A dad has his only car break down and now he can't get to work. HopeMob profiles him!
- A family with a disabled toddler needs a special van to transport their child. HopeMob spreads the word!
Unlike other platforms that focus on hundreds of small issues, HopeMob simply tells one story at a time and focuses all of our collective energy on this one cause. Using STORY POINTS, you can help boost a story up through our cause queue until it becomes our one and only FEATURED STORY with a HUGE international audience. That is when the MOB swarms the cause with HOPE!
Before we launch in late March, HopeMob already has over 1,000 volunteers from 35 states and 6 continents committed to making this platform one of the most diverse, socially networked teams ever assembled to do good in the world!
If Mother Teresa built a platform with the tech base of Groupon, Foursquare, & Netflix & the heart of CNN Heroes, it would look like HopeMob!
4 Practical Ways HopeMob Will Work!
1. We tell stories. In spite of a social media boom, we believe that people with the most pressing needs all around the world, including the United States, are not having their stories told and we will find them and tell them to you. Our world renowned team of filmmakers, photographers, storytellers, and social workers will find, verify, and document the most pressing needs in the world today and HopeMob will tell you ONE STORY at a time ranging from a mom with starving children in Somalia, to a college student needing a little help with tuition before she drops out, to a family with a disabled child in desperate need of safe transportation. Our mission will be to find the stories nobody else is telling and blast them out to the world! We've started this work already.
2. A highly interactive website in which only one compelling story at a time is told and our users will be given practical ways (not just financial) to provide immediate hope to the real people featured in that story.
Without revealing all of our secrets, we can tell you that the site will look and feel and function like equal parts Groupon, FourSquare, and Netflix with timed causes, point based incentives, and a cause queue. This web platform will be way cooler than the Newt Gingrich campaign website at only a fraction of the cost :-)
3. We are building iPhone & Android apps that will allow you to view and share our stories and quickly provide hope to our featured causes even when you are on the go.
4. We are building a grassroots Twitter team (click here to join it) so that each story we tell is blasted out daily for the world to see. We currently have a Twitter reach of 354,307 people and we hope to get it to over 1,000,000 before we launch in March and 10,000,000 by the end of 2012.
About Our Team!
HopeMob is an amazing team of over 1,000 people from 35+ states, 6 continents, and every walk of life imaginable. We have people from every faith (including atheists...it's all faith :-), every political persuasion, every age, and every continent but Antarctica! Our team is growing daily! From MBA's & PHDs to retirees and stay at home moms, we are bringing together one of the most diverse teams ever assembled of folk that simply want to get good stuff done and leave all the other junk behind! You can join the HopeMob team today by clicking here.
Shaun King, the founder of HopeMob, is one of the most respected social entrepreneurs and humanitarians in the world. His social media and web projects have raised over $5,000,000 for charities benefiting children and families in post-earthquake Haiti, girls being educated all over the world, families of veterans, inner city elementary school students, and natural disaster victims everywhere.
Shaun recently won the Mashable Award for the Most Creative Social Good Campaign in the world. Below is Shaun on CNN discussing the creative use of social media to raise funds and awareness for Haiti.
Here are some articles featuring Shaun and his social good work:
HopeMob: Giving to Those in Need, Huffington Post
Ripple Effect of One Act of Kindness, O Magazine
Latest Prize in Celebrity Auction is a Tweet, Wall-Street Journal
Is Twitter a Touchdown for Social Good?, Mashable
A Home In Haiti, Fox News
Most Expensive Celebrity Tweets, Forbes Magazine
Raise the Roof for Haiti, EXTRA
Celebrity Tweets, Good Morning America
A Charity that Gets Celebrities to Follow You, Washington Post
Friend for Sale? New Charity Auction, NY Daily News
Atlanta’s Facebook Pastor Users Twitter for Haiti, Atlanta Journal Constitution
Pastor Harnesses Online Giving, Holiday Hero, Atlanta Journal Constitution
Using Twitter for Good, Relevant Magazine
Shaun King & TwitChange, Collide Magazine
Catalyst Podcast, Catalyst
After the Quake, Outreach Magazine
Celebrity Photographer Dominates TwitChange, HalogenTV
More about Our Team
Our Co-Founders, Dave Gibbons, Sam Oh, and Chad Kellough bring a wealth of experience, balance, and business acumen to the HopeMob team.
Dave Gibbons loves to invest his life in atypical leaders throughout the world: the fringe and the misfits, the outsiders and the under-resourced. Dave is an activist for cultural innovation and has traveled the world as a leadership coach. He incorporates entrepreneurial mindsets, creative ethos and ancient wisdom from spiritual frameworks to socially active endeavors primarily through XEALOT, (a special ops type leadership community and a social venture fund).
Dave is the author of an award-winning book on culture entitled “The Monkey and the Fish” and recently released a new book entitled "Xealot: Defying the Gravity of Normality". He has served on the Board of World Vision US and helps to guide a group of third-culture communities called NEWSONG.
Sam Oh has led ventures in retail and IT as well as creating best practices for working inter-culturally for over 20 years. Sam was the Vice President of Information Technology for Fresh and Easy Neighborhood Market in the US, a subsidiary of Tesco, the third largest retailer in the world. While serving on the Operating Board for Tesco Lotus in Thailand, he helped build various retail formats and introduced scores of retail innovations.
Sam has lived and worked in the US, Korea, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, and England. Sam studied Computer Science and Mathematics at University of California, San Diego and received executive leadership training at the University of California at Los Angeles.
Chad Kellough has been the Lead Designer & Programmer of every web/social media campaign and platform Shaun has ever launched - including TwitChange. An incredibly experienced designer, Chad has helped create some of the most well known web-based social good projects of the past five years and has also served as a key creative force for corporate brands all over the world. Known for "just getting it done" Chad has a rare gift for understanding how design can build social momentum.
WHY RAISE $125,000?
(This is Shaun typing) For the past 5 years, with every social good campaign I have ever launched, I rushed the work and did it on a shoestring budget. I'm proud of everything we accomplished, but we could have done even better and I think HopeMob will be the biggest, best project I've ever launched.
We spent about $5k to raise $1 million for flood victims in Atlanta and $15k to raise millions for Haiti. The good news is that I learned how to operate efficiently and squeeze a dollar out of 15 cents. We just "got it done" at all costs. In my old age (32) I'm learning, though, that lasting systemic change requires more planning, better managed operations, and a strong base.
We expect what we raise from this campaign to represent just about 20% of our total YEAR ONE budget to make HopeMob a major success. While we are launching this campaign to help us raise financial support to fund our documentary work, we also chose to go this route because we wanted a broad cross-section of people (THAT'S YOU) to honestly feel like they were a substantive part of building something that matters!
As you may know, we will only receive our funds from KickStarter if we hit our goal! Thank you SO much for your support!!!
If you have ANY questions about this project, please feel free to email me directly @ firstname.lastname@example.org!
Absolutely! We are a registered 501c3. THANKS!!
Great question! When http://HopeMob.com launches in March we will have what we call a CAUSE QUEUE. We will have 20 stories listed in our Cause Queue, but you will only be able to see a little bit about each cause until it is the #1 FEATURED STORY. A cause becomes the FEATURED STORY when you use your STORY POINTS to boost that cause up through the queue. For instance, your favorite cause is listed as #17 in Cause Queue, but you decide to donate a ton of your story points to this cause and it now becomes the #1 FEATURED STORY. The more points you have the more you can boost a STORY through the queue!
Your card will be charged ONLY when we complete the goal in 44 days. If we do not hit the goal, your card will never be charged. See every question about pledges you could ever have @: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backing%20a%20project
Support this project
- (44 days)