10 years ago, my life shattered. And this year, on the 10th Anniversary, I want to share my story Shattered at the biggest Fringe Festival in the world - the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
I need your help to get there!
Shattered is a serio-comedy solo show that uses humor to heal. It's a fast-paced, comedic and heart-breakingly raw journey through dating, dysfunction and sexual devastation - told through the voices of 35+ characters.
Shattered ultimately tells the story of one individual picking up the broken pieces of herself and putting them back together again.
Shattered was created to explain the complex psychological fallout of sexual assault - a tragedy far too many people experience. Whether an audience member can (or hopefully cannot) relate to the story told, Shattered brings voice to the darkest parts of the one's experience and the power of the human spirit to rise again.
1 in 5 women will be raped at some point in their lives (CDC, NISVS 2010 summary report)
....but, in actuality, the statistic is much higher because many rapes go unreported.
Want to read more about Shattered? Check out these glowing reviews and articles:
NoHo Arts District: click here
This Stage: click here
VoyageLA: click here
Next stop - Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
With over 3,500 shows - the Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the biggest in the world and provides an unparalleled opportunity to showcase my work and story!
- Sexual violence is a global problem that does not discriminate. I cannot imagine the impact I might be able to have by performing my show 25 times at the Edinburgh Fringe July 31-Aug 26!
- August 2019 will mark the 10th year anniversary of the assault that I talk about in the show - so, for me, it's incredibly important to take Shattered to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this year. The past can never be undone, but sharing my story is an opportunity to re-write August for the future and help others do the same.
Taking Shattered to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival will require costs to perform and live for the month (theatre rental, promotion/marketing, fees, accommodations, etc.) I've invested what I can to fund the project, but will need an additional $10k to complete the obligations.
Stretch goals - Anything raised above the initial $10k will go toward incentive distributions, plane tickets/per-diem living expenses, etc.
Other Ways You Can Help
Can't contribute? No worries! Here are some ways you can help:
- Please comment, like and share the campaign! Every bit helps to engage people, raise awareness and support Shattered
Follow @dianavarco and visit: www.supportshattered.com
- Share your story! Talking about this topic attacks the cycle of shame and silence that allows it to occur again and again and again.
- Take care of yourself - we all experience pain and deserve to heal!
Risks and challenges
- Shattered is a tremendously physical show with several quick character changes. So, I'm starting to run regularly to build stamina and get myself into fantastic physical shape!
- The themes explored in Shattered are difficult, so connecting with the love and support of my community gives me strength to continue this work - I hope you’ll let me share my journey with you!
- Anything sent from Edinburgh might take awhile to get to the states! Please allow time for deliveryLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)