Dead Throne - Open World Board Game (Canceled)
Dead Throne - Open World Board Game (Canceled)
Open world, semi RPG, adventure game, introducing unique gameplay and components. Battle, trap, deceive, tackle side quests and magic.
Open world, semi RPG, adventure game, introducing unique gameplay and components. Battle, trap, deceive, tackle side quests and magic. Read more
About this project
Dead Throne UKGE Reviews
Recent blog post
Welcome to Dead Throne
Dead Throne is a bold new game designed to be elegant and realistic in its gameplay. It's open and free allowing players to take any course of action or strategy that they want to implement. Three ways of winning along with multiple challenges and side quests mean you will always have something to challenge yourself with.
Please note that the main effort of this campaign is to finalise the artwork. All the cards you see are simply designed for the purposes of play testing and to give an example of the content. The layout and art you see in them is not final. You can however see an example of the standard the remaining cards will follow in a finalized card design further down.
The Companion App is being built to be a secondary means of playing the game. You DO NOT need it to play the game. It will be free and offered to anyone who simply wants to mix it up a bit.
- Dead Throne is designed to be an open world. Players have two dice; when you roll you are only limited to the number you rolled, meaning you can stop and interact at any point up to that number. If there are 4 or more players in the game those who are in a battle or in a market do so in their own bubble. This means that everyone else can continue playing around them allowing those players to focus on their battle or what they are buying without others having to wait for them. This also means that multiple battles can be happening at once, or one big battle with every player in the game being involved. If a battle is happening between players be careful not to cross their path as they might drag you into it. The freedom is yours, how will you use it?
- Three minutes to set up. Ten minutes to learn.
- The map is set up so that each path has many options you can take, this way you can chase down your opponents or avoid them if you can.
- The objective of the game is to enter the castle. The castle is guarded by magic and only the worthy can enter. There are seven players in the game, each with their own unique miniature. Six heroes and one evil mage. One person always has to be Saladar, the evil mage. The Heroes hold magical Medallion Pieces that Saladar needs to enter the castle and Saladar holds magical Region Stones. Players can team up only to battle it out in the end, or every player can stand alone. There are three ways to win the game along with multiple side quests. Players can either collect all they need to and enter the castle, defeat every other player in epic battles, or defeat the monstrous dragon Agrimor to retrieve the Crown of the King and enter the castle. Only one can be crowned, good luck!
- During a solo campaign your objective is to defeat Agrimor and enter the castle with the crown. The objective is challenging and the road is treacherous. Only the most daring of gamers can accomplish this challenge. Will it be you?
- Within the game there are items and weapons, both magical and normal. You use these items to survive against creatures, animals, bandits and other players.
- You can also use these items to build hidden traps giving you a strong advantage over your victims.
- Along your travels you will find side quests you can choose to complete. These quests will offer you great rewards should you choose to accept their dangers.
- Magical scrolls are a key element in the game. You won’t only use them in battles but during the entire game also. There are 150 known surviving scrolls in the game, and more to be found within the app. These scrolls offer you a dynamic ability to strategize and compete throughout the game. No action you take will be the same as you take a roller coaster ride on an adventure you will be eager to come back to.
- Battles take place between two or more players, or against the enemies you find throughout the land. Multiple battles can be occurring at the same time, whilst players not in one can continue as normal. Battles are dangerous places to cross as players within the battle can draw you in if you’re foolish enough to walk near one. Through the use of scrolls no battle is ever predictable. Your attack and defence is determined by the items and enchantments you have, and by the scrolls you use to power yourself up. Victory is always up to your tactical abilities. Are you up to the challenge?
- Health in the game will always be fluctuating. Don’t let it run out as you might not be able to respawn. You equip armor to increase the maximum amount of health you can go up to, and you heal at local Inns, by collecting Health Tokens, using scrolls or consuming defeated creatures if you possess a Region Stone. To respawn heroes need to possess a Medallion Piece and Saladar needs an active Region Stone. If you don’t possess your required item the game will be over for you.
- The average time to complete the game is 1hr. However, as it’s a game of tactics and immersive strategies the game is entirely in your hands. The record shortest to complete the game was 10min having started with only 2 players; the record longest was 6hr with 7 players. You play the game, or the game can play you, how will you play?
- The rules are designed to be easy to follow, sequential with minimal clutter and random words. We wanted to minimize any confusion and contradicting or overruling of rules wherever possible. In doing so the rules are easy to follow and natural in their understanding. But don't take our word for it, take a look at the link below :)
The card bellow is the design and theme that all remaining cards will be based on. All offering a beautiful full card illustration relevant to the region it is found in.
The final versions of the tiles will all have interlocking edges so that the tiles fit together neatly and join for the stability of the map. There are ten tiles, four categories of regions with their own deck of cards and each tile measures 24.5cm from side to side.
The Traditional Box
The Traditional Box is smaller and more compact than the Pro Box (current size in cm = W40.20 x L38.20 x H6.10). It contains all the required elements of the game in a compact design, perfect for taking with you on holidays. The market cards are held on the left and placed horizontally when stored and lifted vertically when playing. The playing cards, held within tuck boxes will be placed side ways over the spaces that separate them when playing to allow players remove and replace cards from them. The interior of the box will be a separate black plastic insert comprising of all the compartments to organize the included pieces.
The Pro Box
- The Pro Box is the larger of the two and built for a truly immersive experience (current size in cm = W50.1 x L36.50 x H4.20). The cards are held within tuck boxes and placed over the rim of the box when playing to allow players to remove and replace cards from them. The box itself holds extra room for future expansion packs. The interior of the box will be a separate black plastic insert comprising of all the compartments to organize the included pieces.
- It contains the custom built card trays built to manage your inventory as you advance through the game becoming more and more powerful.
- And perhaps the most notable and by far the most unique feature of the box design is the Market. Held within the lid and propped upright and left unlocked during gameplay you will open the game like a chest and play like never before.
- The Market mechanism consists of four layers.
- The Base = A 4mm thick cardboard cut-out glued to the lid itself (paper background). This will hold the cards in place within their own slots.
- The Stoppers = 2mm thick pieces of cardboard glued to The Base (not visible), to contain the cards within their slots and restrict the movement of the Slider.
- The Slider = A 2mm thick single piece of cardboard placed (not glued) on top of The Base and restricted by The Stoppers (wooden color with square finger slots). This is what players will use to open and lock the Market.
- The Cover = A 1mm thick piece of cardboard that is glued to the Stoppers. This will hold the Slider in place and also shows the art at the front of the Market.
The Market itself must be assembled by the backer. When you receive the game you will receive each piece as a punchboard. You will have to remove the excess by simply popping out the pre cut excess (also contains tokens). After all the excess is removed each piece will then have to be glued into place. On the back of each piece are instructions and highlighted areas indicating where to glue. A video of how to put it together will also exist once we have received the manufacturer's confirmation copies, well before the release of the game itself.
The History of Lirennor
For a deeper look into the World of Veles you can see the entire timeline on our website by clicking the link here.
Over 2,400 years of recorded history completes what we know of the world of Veles.
The Darkness is the only word used to describe what happened before our earliest record. Today it is 2410 ATD (after The Darkness) and the Kingdom of Lirennor has seen better times.
- The first significant note in recorded history is in the year 120 ATD. Magic pouring out from the ground and in all things born from nature. The Jinn were the first creatures who used magic and it wasn’t long before mankind began using the Jinn and focusing and learning the magical ways. These first were known as the enchanters.
- In 701 ATD the Kingdom of Lirennor is founded by King Terrowin. He was known as a great leader and conqueror.
- In 934 the enchanters were banished for causing massive earthquakes and destroying the land in their experiments with the new environmental scrolls. Thirty-one years later the mages took their oath. They vowed to protect and serve mankind against creatures and humans who sought nothing but chaos.
- 1250 ATD marks the year of the discovery of the great gold mines in Stonesea, a region of Lirennor. Lirennor becomes rich and powerful, but this wealth comes at a cost.
- In 1711 some of the mages are banished from the council as evidence of them turning dark spreads fear of The Darkness returning. Following this, many of the exiled mages turn to necromancy. They summon an army of undead and attack the Kingdom of Eirwen.
- 1824 ATD was a year of death. It was the height of the hunt for dark mages requested by the people. People from all the Kingdoms were rounded up and executed if they were suspected of practicing magic. The mages' council carried out these executions and although sanctioned in the beginning the poeple quickly began to distrust them. The final straw was of the execution of Gwen Hildegard, beloved princess of Lirennor. The mages became the official heads of police and abused their new power. It wasn’t long before the people responded with violence. And in 1915 the mages move their great library of scrolls away from the people who they feared. Tensions continue to rise, attacks by exiled mages' and the people on the mages council take place and in 1951 the council close their doors.
- In 1970 ATD the Fable Wars begin. The mages declare war on all the Kingdoms of Veles trying to take power for themselves. After many defeats Veles finally push back under the command of General Lothean. The mages are banished to Blood Stained Mountain and unheard from again for over 100 years.
- In 2085 the mages return. For years they have been building an army of undead that they use to desimate the Kingdoms of Veles. Only Lirennor remains but not for long. Gwiladith was an explorer and hero. She entered Blood Stained Mountain in 2098 and destroyed the source of the power controlling the undead army. The Battle of the Iron Gates ends with the death of the mages and Veles is finally free from evil. But not for long. Agrimor, a gold thirsty dragon enters Lirennor after the gold in the mines in 2312 and nothing is ever the same again.
Meet the characters
Rhilik - Born in Eirwen in 2378, he was raised on a farm. At the age of five his lands were attacked by goblins leaving him the sole survivor. He spent the next 10 years alone and wandering in the mountains. He grew strong and brave and handy with a weapon. In 2400 he was noticed by a militia. They recruited him and trained him with more weapons until an elite warrior emerged.
Ereveth - A merchant. Born in 2385 in Perun. She gathered a great reputation by sailing and trading with the unknown peoples in the East. She brought back artefacts never before seen by the people of Veles. Her reputation spread and her abilities as a merchant allow her to sell items (not scrolls or traps) at their buy price.
Aaron - Born in Eirwen in 2365 Aaron grew around metal. His ancestors were the Iron Wielders of the Madoc Twins war. Secrets have been handed down through the generation that most have forgotten. He’s a smithy by trade and any weapon he uses can never break.
Elena - Born in Lirennor in 2389 near the castle. She was left by her mother at the age of three. Frightened and alone she stumbled upon a group of thieves who raised her. Her adopted father trained her in stealth and theft. When she was 16 a raid took place on her home. Her father was arrested and never seen again. She managed to escape but was yet again alone. Tired and hungry she snuck into a traveling circus for some food but was spotted before she collapsed of exhaustion. As luck would have it she found another family. Her skills were put to good use in acrobatics.
Falewin - Born into a rich family in 2386 on the outskirts of Heilwen he learned to carry himself in a respectable manner. At a young age his father installed him in the family's business at their winery. He started as a barman serving drinks to visitors from all over. He learned how to manipulate people into giving him a significant tip and at the age of 23 he bought his own bar. A ladies' man and a night owl he does well on his feet. He still uses his tip collecting skills when completing quests and is well respected around Lirennor.
Taniel - Taniel's early history is unknown. She was raised by goblins in a cave never to see the light of day. They used her as a cook and punished her for any lack of flavour. The caves never provided much in the way of ingredients and so she learned to cook with whatever she could find. Rats, toads, creatures of the night. One day she stumbled upon a way to escape. She ignited the cave in a ball of flames killing all the goblins. Away from the cave she found a whole new world of ingredients and recipes. Her imagination ran wild and she soon began to sell food on the street. Eventually she found a job as a chef giving that restaurant a reputation that spread across Veles.
Saladar - He was born a prince. Brother to the late king, his place was in the castle. But desire for power led to the fall of Lirennor, the abandonment of the castle and the death of the King and the Throne. Born in 2281 in the Castle of Lirennor he was loved by all. But unknown to all he harbored resentment for his brother, the King, jealousy of his brother's wife and belittlement as the young prince. At the age of 20 he began his journey in secret of discovering the ways of the dark mages defeated over 200 years before. Bit by bit he learned the power of the old scrolls, the ways and thoughts of the old mages and The Darkness that was once vanquished returns into his heart. When Agrimor the dragon threatened the lands of Lirennor the King took it upon himself to defeat it. Armed and powerful there was no question he would bring victory. But as he dined with his family one last time, his brother's plans were coming true. Poisoned and weak the King set off to meet his fate. Saladar tried seizing power, but luckily for the Kingdom he was oblivious to the protection spell Gwiladith installed onto the throne after the Battle of the Iron Gates. Banished from the castle the throne remained dead. The Region Stones scattered and the Kingdom silent. Saladar spent the next 100 years collecting the Region Stones and gaining control over them. The castle and the throne were not his, but the Regions had fallen to his dark ways.
Hello Backers :)
During our campaign we aim to build the best and most complete game that we can produce, both for our adored backers and for our future clients. The stretch goals if met allow us to build upon the standard game with more art and illustrations enhancing the diverse range of creatures, items and weapons found throughout Lirennor. We want to provide everyone with a beautiful and unique game.
If a stretch goal is met that means we have received enough funding to unlock that feature. We will unlock as we go along so you can follow the exciting progress :)
The timeline below is an estimation based on information collected and assessed. Incorporated is a small buffer to account for possible delays. For every moment of the journey we will be there and updating you as we progress. We will aim to deliver your reward to you as early as possible :)
On the basis of our quotes and factoring in the 1,500 min units per version requirement set by the manufacturer, below is a breakdown of the costs associated with producing the games. Various buffers and other fees are also included into the campaign goal.
We recently attended the International TableTop Day in Cardiff and the outcome was more than we could have hoped for. From those who played the game to those who had a quick walk through talk through, the response was amazing. We even had people coming back to play again to which we were more than happy to accommodate. The players quickly picked up the rules of the game and implemented their own tactics which brought them victory even over us.
It's fair to say it was a very good day for all and we look forward to hearing your feedback too. You can also find us on Facebook by searching for Dead Throne or following this link.
- Shayan Nejad - Product design, gameplay and story development.
- Keeyan Nejad - Web, app and gameplay development.
- Kaveh Nejad - Story, objectives and gameplay development.
Artists: (in no particular order)
- Mark Reihill - Items/Bandits
- Paul Mudie - Creatures
- James Beckley - 3D character models
- Giorgio De Michele - Game Board tiles
- Daniel Pascual - Character and story art
- Panda Games (Board Game)
- Pro-A Innovation (Moulding of the plastic card trays)
Freighting and fulfillment:
- OTXlogistics (Freighting)
- StarlitCitadel (Canada Fulfillment)
- FunagainGames (U.S.A. Fulfillment)
- GameQuest (EU Fulfillment)
- eServices Group (Asia Fulfillment)
- Aetherworks (Australia and New Zealand Fulfillment)
How does Kickstarter work?
Kickstarter is a crowdfunding site. People from all over the world who have a dream come here to make their dream come true.
In order to help a campaign succeed, you, as a backer have the option of pre-buying a product or reward or simply making a donation. You scroll through the rewards, pick the item you wish to buy, provide your card information and delivery address and you have now become a backer helping dreams come true and following along on the journey.
Providing the campaign succeeds and only when it succeeds does the money come out of your account. If the campaign fails to reach its goal no charge will be processed to your card.
After the success of the campaign it’s now up to the campaign owners to use that goal money to fund their project and product. It’s important to know that after the campaign is over it may take a few months before the product has been made and delivered to your address. However you will receive updates from the owners of the progress and a timeline will usually exist providing an expected forecast of the steps that follow the campaign on the campaign page.
Dead Throne is the first in our epic quest to uncover the mysteries and history of the World of Veles, the continent the world is based in. With over 2,400 years of history leading up to Dead Throne you can expect many more games to come. Each one will hold new struggles, new heroes and villains and ultimately a new victory to be won. As well as producing new and exciting games based in this universe we will also be producing expansion packs for Dead Throne as well. Stay tuned :)
- FREE SHIPPING. Any customs will have already been handled by us allowing for friendly shipping to all destinations. Individual shipping costs have also been handled for most countries (EU, U.S.A., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many more) offering free shipping to those countries. Countries with free shipping are: United Kingdom, United States, Australia, New Zealand, E.U., American Samoa, Solomon Islands, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Northern Mariana Islands, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Indonesia, India, Japan, Kiribati, South Korea, Laos, Mexico, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Niue, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Macao, Marshal Islands, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, Taiwan, Vietnam, Virgin Islands (U.S.), Samoa, Hong Kong. Costs for countries without free shipping varies.
- We will freight our games in bulk to North America, EU, Australia and Hong Kong. From then on our fulfillment partners will dispatch each individual game to our backers' given addresses around the world. Given how shipping times will vary from location to location we must apologize that some backers will receive their reward later than others. However we won't stop until each and every backer receives their just reward.
- As soon as manufacturing and quality control measures have been finalized we will immediately dispatch our game to you all around the world. We have searched high and low to find the best and most cost friendly fulfillment centers that offer both great service and great protection to assure your reward arrives in good condition. In the unlikely event that damage occurs or shipments are lost we will handle everything. Getting your reward into your hands is our priority :)
SharkeeGames Ltd. reserves all rights to Dead Throne the board game. Including all art, illustrations, rules and designs.
Risks and challenges
The story, the rules, the entirety of the structure and the layout of all the cards have been completed already. All that is needed before we can start manufacturing is the remaining artwork.
The remaining art will have to be finished quickly and all the pre-production steps will have to be done quickly too. We will strive to send them as early as possible, but we will not sacrifice quality to meet this aim. Our goal is and always will be to send our backers the best possible game we can. And, of course, we will keep you updated every step of the way as we are in this adventure together.
We have done extensive research into our distribution methods, mapping every step of the way and are confident that it will run smoothly through our tried and tested fulfillment centers and freighter. However, we are prepared for any issues that might arise as delivering your game is our priority. If any delays occur, date changes or shipping issues you will be the first to know not only what happened but what we are doing to amend it.
I hope you enjoy the adventure and we look forward to sending our game to you, our glorious backers :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)