I'm M. Amanuensis Sharkchild and The Dark Verse is my growing, award-winning collection of short stories of occult, metaphysical, and fantastical horror that will follow you to the visions of your sleep. A multiverse of unique creatures and intellectual dread, each story has been extracted from my bizarre imagination, infused with Lovecraftian spirit, and crafted in my meticulous style.
The Dark Verse, Vol. 4 will contribute another 26 stories to The Dark Verse collection. With its addition, the anthology will grow to a total of 104 short stories spanning across four physical volumes.
As with each of the previous volumes of The Dark Verse, my good friend, John F. Stifter, has joined me to bring you the artwork that will infuse savage, macabre, and stunning life into this fourth Dark Verse tome. Beyond the book, he has also designed a special t-shirt and absolutely riveting metal bookends!
All of the stories were previously written and narrated for The Dark Verse podcast. They have since been copy-edited for print. If you would like to get a taste of what is in store for you in this book and listen to any of the stories, I have provided links to their corresponding podcast episodes. One story is available to read here as it will appear in the book.
- The Pendulum Role | Listen
- Age of Thaumaturgics | Listen
- Killing Tools (The Glove of Wires) | Listen
- The Wrong House of Worship | Listen
- D.M.V. (Dream Magic and the Vessels) | Listen
- Rainsaw | Listen
- A Random Game of Vitriolage | Listen
- Dominance by Devouring | Listen
- The Apocalypse Bringers | Illustration | Listen
- The Protean Birth Enigma | Listen
- Omnipotent Ingenuity | Illustration | Listen | Read
- The Essence of All-Sight | Listen
- Costumes of Reality | Listen
- Infernobot | Illustration | Listen
- Little Angels | Listen
- The Ruination Die | Listen
- The Midnight Magician | Listen
- The Lantern and Its Book | Listen
- The Kids Go First | Listen
- Spirit Dispersion | Listen
- It Concludes in a Receptacle | Illustration | Listen
- The Eyeless Sight (The Unlike Light Sequel) | Listen
- Doorways to Obliteration | Listen
- The Strangewax Candles | Listen
- Not Worth Reading | Listen
- Everyone's Whisper Sounds the Same | Listen
As the project goes on, illustrations for certain stories will be released in updates and linked above.
Below are the add-ons available for the project! Simply add the amounts to your pledge corresponding to the products you want. After the project ends, you will be connected to manager that will allow you to allocate your pledge to those products.
The bookends will be constructed of metal and have a height around 7" to 8".
The launch of this Kickstarter project marks the 10 Year Anniversary of The Dark Verse! There is no better way to celebrate than to publish a new book and provide bookends for the whole collection!
On October 8, 2007, the first episode of The Dark Verse podcast was published. Little did I know where this idea was going to take me! Making it through 10 years of writing short stories and publishing books could not have been done without my devout, loyal, and encouraging fans supporting me along the way. All of you have been the stepping stones to the continuation of this awesome anthology. You helped me publish The Dark Verse, Vol. 2; The Dark Verse, Vol. 3; my dark fantasy novel, The Spirit Collectors; and you were there to join me in the grand triumphs of the books picking up numerous accolades.
I cannot thank you enough!
It would be my honor to continue publishing better and greater books as the years leave us. I hope you will join me on this journey and on the next 10-year stretch as well! I deeply and sincerely appreciate each and every ounce of support! Thank you!
The Dark Verse, Vol. 1: From the Passages of Revenants:
- 2010 Independent Publisher Book Awards Silver Medal Winner for Horror
The Dark Verse, Vol. 3: Beyond the Grip of Time:
- 2015 Independent Publisher Book Awards Gold Medal Winner for Horror
- 2015 National Indie Excellence Awards Winner for Horror
- 2015 National Indie Excellence Awards Winner for Best Cover Design - Fiction
The Spirit Collectors dark fantasy novel:
- 2016 Independent Publisher Book Awards Gold Medal Winner for Fantasy
- 2016 National Indie Excellence Awards Winner for Fantasy
- 2015 INDIEFAB Book of the Year Finalist for Fantasy
The Dark Verse podcast has been featured as one of the best horror podcasts on:
Shipping for all U.S. backers is a flat $5 fee.
International backers will be charged a flat fee based on location.
- Canada: $13
- Mexico: $18
- EU: $20
- Rest of World: $23
Due to their weight, the bookends have an additional shipping fee integrated into their price.
To keep things fair and easy, the shipping fee will only be based on the book alone*; the shipping fee will not scale with the adding of optional buys or the pledging of bundles (excluding the bookends that have a shipping fee integrated into their price).
*The shipping fee for the Deeper Than Hell Bundle and the Abysmal Plunge Bundle is the same as for The Dive reward.
Sharkchild's Note on Shipping
This project is intended to be inclusive of anyone, no matter where you are in the world. While I have to fulfill all of the rewards from Southern California because I have the other books there, I don't want shipping to be a burden. To compensate for the customs fees that some international backers will be hit with, I did my best to keep the shipping fees as low as possible. I hope this is sufficient to gain your support!
As an '80s born Aquarius, I live in lurid wakefulness and lucid dreams, overtaken by visions that uncontrollably seethe in a torrent of horror and fantasy. As a zealot of the imagination, I embrace the strange, the bizarre, and the great unknown. My path of creation has only just begun.
Some of my favorite horror/fantasy movies:
- Prince of Darkness
- Dark City
- Lord of Illusions
- Howl's Moving Castle
- House of the Devil
The Dark Verse
Book cover, book artwork, and montage video created by
John F. Stifter: Art Station
Risks and challenges
All of the stories for the book are written and edited. If any setbacks are to occur following the successful funding of this project, they will be due to possible delays with the completion of the artwork, issues with printing/production (i.e. repeated errors on proofs of the book that postpone final approval), and/or shipping (i.e. damaged goods, prolonged delivery).
All of the artwork, including the design of the shirt and bookends, is subject to change before final production.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)