I'm thrilled to bring you my eighth and most eagerly anticipated graphic novel, Triumviratus, which will be published exclusively in deluxe hardcover format and launched right here on Kickstarter.
Triumviratus is a 500 page fantasy graphic novel about three desperate people whose misadventures in love bring the world to its knees. Betrayal, destiny and strong character drama drive this deeply personal epic fantasy.
- An epic fantasy adventure about the gulf between duty and desire.
- A print run limited to just 1,000 copies worldwide, each book hand-signed and numbered by Shane W Smith.
- Highly collectable deluxe hardcover full-colour graphic novel!
- An oversized hardcover book: internal pages are 120gsm gloss art A4-sized paper (that's 210x297mm or 11.8in x 8.3in); the thickness of the book is around 50mm (2 inches); and its weight is about 2.5 kilograms (5.5 pounds)!
- This campaign is the only way to obtain a copy of this epic book until early 2020, when the paperback will be released.
- Bonus nine page epilogue that may not be included in any future printings!
- Exclusive bookplate for all Kickstarter backers, with art by Darren Close!
- Get a digital copy of Triumviratus at no extra cost!
- All pledges will receive a set of four stunning A4 prints from artist Rosanna Lam!
- Exclusive additional content not available anywhere else!
- Free trial: download the first chapter of Triumviratus here!
Welcome to Watcher's Edge, a tiny duchy lost in geography and stuck in time. The events that begin way out here in this sleepy little hamlet will change the world forever.
Meet Rynold, the court mage, Mirelda, the duke's daughter, and Damian, a stable hand.
In a world where violent magic is punished by the gods, mages have learned to use their powers for deception and manipulation. Rynold has learned this lesson better than most.
A single moment of jealousy and desire was all it took for him to cast aside a lifetime of sacred oaths. Instead of openly competing for the heart of Princess Mirelda, he misuses an ancient artefact to engineer a scheme that sends her lover, Damian, on a fraudulent pilgrimage to a faraway land.
His plan backfires when the artefact flares into life after centuries of dormancy and... well... this happens.
Mirelda and Rynold leave Watcher's Edge in desperate pursuit of Damian, and emerge into a dangerous world they aren't ready to face. As their long journey progresses, they come to learn, however, that the greatest threat to them - and to the world - might well come from within...
Triumviratus paints a deeply personal love triangle against an epic fantasy backdrop, and will appeal to readers of fantasy who appreciate strong character drama driving a high-stakes story.
Parental warning: this book contains small amounts of violence, coarse language, sexual references, and nudity.
WE'RE FULLY FUNDED! Triumviratus will be going to print!
I'm so grateful to the many backers who have helped us get to this ambitious target. Along the way, we've been unlocking all sorts of amazing extra (and exclusive) bonuses for you all. Here's a quick summary of everything that you're entitled to, and everything that's been announced so far!
150 backers (pending): ???
My name is SHANE W SMITH, and I'm an Australian graphic novelist who uses genre to explore and uncover some of the deeper meanings of human experience. Four of my graphic novels have been shortlisted in awards, including the fan-favourite Undad. I've got a Bachelor Degree in creative writing, and I might be the only person in the world to get a comic published in a refereed academic journal. Triumviratus is my eighth graphic novel, and the sixth book I've launched on Kickstarter.
Earlier this year, I delivered my millionth comic page into the hands of my fans. My awesome (and growing) fanbase is incredibly supportive of my work. I'm so appreciative: we only crushed this milestone because of you.
And here are some shots of me as an invited and honoured guest of Oz Comic-Con in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney last year.
Being invited as a guest was a fantastic experience, and really encouraged me to go after Great Things with my next release.
Triumviratus will also feature some internal portrait art by fantastic Adelaide artist Rosanna Lam!
FUNDING MILESTONE UNLOCKED: ALL BACKERS WILL RECEIVE A SET OF FOUR A4 PRINTS FEATURING ROSANNA'S ART!
ROSANNA LAM is a freelance illustrator based in Adelaide, South Australia. Having completed an Honours degree in creative arts at Flinders University, she lives and breathes digital media, spending most of her time drawing characters for comics and games. Her most recent work includes Hail (www.hailcomic.com), a superhero comic about a woman who crumbles into shards of glass as a symptom of anxiety, and Talespinner (www.talespinner-rpg.com), a children’s tabletop fantasy role-playing game. Other than being an artist, Rosanna is also a violinist, a casual gamer and a crazy bird person.
Here's some of Rosanna's recent work.
We're coming to Kickstarter to help raise funds for an offset print run of 1,000 copies of the deluxe hardcover edition of Triumviratus, and to celebrate its launch by getting it into as many hands as possible.
We've also prepared a whole stack of benefits for backers that are only available through this campaign:
- Hundreds of pages of behind-the-scenes content.
- Exclusive bookplates, only for Kickstarter backers.
- Free digital copies for every hardcover purchase.
- Discounted shipping costs, including for international backers.
- Discounted prices on the entire Shane W Smith back catalogue, including access to some files that have never been shared before.
This print run of Triumviratus is strictly limited to 1,000 copies. Backing through this campaign is the only sure way to guarantee yourself a copy.
Printing hardcover books is an expensive proposition, and I've been planning for this launch for years.
Hitting our funding target on Kickstarter means that this campaign will fund around half of the printing costs, with the remainder coming out of money I've already set aside from the following avenues:
Several years' worth of convention profits and book sales;
- all of my Patreon income since January 2018;
- PLR/ELR 2017/18 payment of nearly $1700;
- a $4000 lump sum raised for Triumviratus through the Australian Cultural Fund, with the support of Creative Partnerships Australia.
Here's how your pledges will divide up.
Have you checked out the first chapter of Triumviratus yet? If not, you can grab it right here:
In addition, you can also grab a Triumviratus ashcan, which will give you a tiny taste of the behind-the-scenes content that you can grab at the $15, $50, and $100+ tiers.
And if that's not enough, you can get the entire first arc of Triumviratus (that's a HUGE 110 pages) for free, simply by sharing the news about this campaign on Facebook or Twitter.
Share on Facebook: shanewsmith.com/FBshare/
Share on Twitter: shanewsmith.com/tweet/
And now for the fun part: rewards! You can order your premium hardcover of Triumviratus through this campaign at a greatly reduced cost. Also on offer is my entire back catalogue of books, also at reduced prices, as well as a whole bunch of digital behind-the-scenes content, some of which has never before seen the light of day.
And don't forget for non-Australian visitors that all this is in Australian dollars! Your own currency may go even further.
- $10 Stable Hand will get you a digital copy of Triumviratus in PDF, EPUB and MOBI formats.
$15 Illumination and Misdirection will get you a digital copy of Triumviratus, and a whole slew of behind-the-scenes content, including scripts, concept art, and an entire unpublished novel.
- $30 Red Regiment will get you my entire back catalogue of books: Triumviratus; The Lesser Evil; Peaceful Tomorrows; The Game; All The King's Men; James Flamestar and the Stargazers; Undad; and Undad Vol 2. Way over 3,000 pages of comics here!
- $50 Great Things will get you the entire back catalogue of books, and an absolute tonne of behind-the-scenes stuff for all of them, including a stack of things that have never before been released.
- $75 The Gift will get you a copy of the premium hardcover edition of Triumviratus, hand-signed and numbered (500 only)
- $100 The Chosen One will get you a copy of the premium hardcover, as well as everything in the Great Things digital tier.
$225 Executioner will get you the Triumviratus premium hardback, and paperback copies of all my other books: The Lesser Evil; Peaceful Tomorrows; The Game; All The King's Men; James Flamestar and the Stargazers; Undad; and Undad Vol 2. That's over 3,000 pages of printed comics! You also get everything in the $50 Great Thing tier, and some additional digital titles exclusive to this tier (and above).
$300 Triumviratus (lesser gods) (reduced from $400) will allow you to choose the numbering on the copy of Triumviratus you receive. Any number except #1. Includes everything in the $225 Executioner tier.
- $350 Triumvirate(reduced from $500 for two days only) You get to choose which the numbering on your copy of Triumviratus. Want #1 out of 500? You've got it. Includes everything in the $225 Executioner tier. SOLD OUT
$1500 The Will of the Gods (reduced from $2,000). The ultimate collector's pack. Learn more here.
The most cost-effective way for you to obtain the book by far is to band together with a group of friends, family, fellow readers, your local comic shop, your book club, or local strangers, and ordering five copies at once with the BROTHERHOOD TIER.
EXCLUSIVE NEW CONTENT
All pledges to this campaign will also receive a free and exclusive digital preview of The Winds of Change, my next graphic novel project, and the final volume in the epic sci-fi series that has been shortlisted twice in the Aurealis Awards.
BONUS REWARD FOR SUPER-FANS
If you back this campaign at any level, and have either:
- backed one of my previous campaigns; or
- donated to the Triumviratus project via the Australian Cultural Fund; or
- currently support me on Patreon...
...then you are a SUPERFAN.
And as an expression of my gratitude, you'll receive a lengthy digital audio commentary for Triumviratus.
This commentary will run for a minimum of forty-five minutes, and will cover topics like themes, creative processes, writing and artwork processes, publishing trivia, answers to FAQs re the book, and much more.
This is an exclusive offer for my superfans who are coming back to support my work for a second (or third [or more-th]) time! You guys take really good care of me, and I'm going to do the same for you.
If you haven't backed one of my earlier campaigns, all is not lost! To get access to this commentary, simply back this campaign, then head over to Patreon and make a pledge.
If you're not sure but think you qualify as a superfan (for the above reasons or any other reason), please get in touch. I'm more than happy to be flexible regarding eligibility.
I want you to be able to back this project with confidence, and I'm committed to delivering a high-quality product to you. And to back that commitment up, I'm offering a money-back guarantee.
If I haven't met your expectations, or you're not satisfied with what you've gotten, I'll do what I can to resolve the issue. And if I can't, simply return your reward to me, and I'll refund your pledge amount.
- 10 August - Kickstarter campaign ends
24 August - funds received (2 weeks) and Triumviratus goes to print
[estimated 10 weeks to print + 2 weeks as a buffer for contingencies]
- mid-November (est.) - books delivered to me for signing
- late November - books sent out to backers
- late November - all digital rewards delivered
- early December - books received by Australian backers
- late December - books received by international backers
If we hit our funding target early on in the campaign, I should be able to scrape together enough funds out of my own accounts to get the printing moving a little earlier. This will give us a broader buffer for contingencies and allow a little longer for the printing process to complete.
The Triumviratus launch campaign offers a huge number of lovely and exclusive perks.
An epic story. Jealousy, destiny, desire, and the end of the world all come crashing together in this huge 500 page self-contained fantasy tale.
A premium product. The Triumviratus hardcover is a massive, stunning, full-colour product. I'll be revealing details about the book as we hit funding milestones, so look forward to those!
- Value for money. This premium edition of Triumviratus will never be cheaper to obtain than it is through this campaign.
- Early access. Only 500 copies of this book will be printed, and there won't be a paperback edition of the book until at least 2020.
- Exclusive content. All backers regardless of pledge level will receive a meaty preview of my next graphic novel project and a set of four gorgeous prints, as well as a whole slew of other exclusive bonuses. And higher tiers have access to a huge amount of content that has never been released before.
Extra bonuses. My superfans (new and old alike) will receive some additional exclusive high-value content.
- No risk to you. I'm a five-time Kickstarter creator, and have a tonne of fulfilment experience (a million pages worth, in fact!). In addition, I'm offering a guarantee that you will receive what you pledged for, or you'll get your money back.
Thank you very much for checking out this campaign to bring Triumviratus to print in a premium hardcover format. I'm incredibly excited to bring this book to you, and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
This book can't exist without your help, so if you'd like to see it come to life, please click the green Back This Project button.
Risks and challenges
Since 2015, I have run four successful Kickstarter campaigns, and delivered hundreds of thousands of comics pages to backers. By now, I've developed a strong awareness of the challenges a creator faces to deliver a project on time and on budget.
In addition, the book is 100% complete and ready to go to print. As soon as funding is secured, the printing process will commence.
Finally, the entire campaign is underpinned by a money-back guarantee.
Triumviratus is very near and dear to my heart, and I'm committed to delivering a high-quality book to every backer of this campaign, and I'm more than happy to respond to any questions or concerns you might have.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (38 days)