When war rips apart your world and your family, what becomes of your life and your dreams? That's the question facing the main characters of The Lesser Evil and Peaceful Tomorrows, two epic sci-fi graphic novels by Shane W Smith.
THE LESSER EVIL is a 358 page sci-fi adventure graphic novel about three men caught up in a civil war, and how their experiences cause them to re-evaluate their lives and dreams. It was first published in serial format in 2011/12 by Zeta Comics.
PEACEFUL TOMORROWS is its 618 page politically-charged sequel, a book about the perils of power, and the power of rumour. It was first published in 2013 by Zetabella Publishing, and was shortlisted for an Aurealis Award in the best graphic novel category.
The rights for these books have recently reverted back to me, and I'm remastering and relaunching both books right here on Kickstarter. For the duration of this campaign, you can get both books - almost a thousand pages - for just $5.
You'll also be getting them a full month before their official release date of October 1, 2017. Kickstarter backers will be among the first people in the world to see these books.
The Lesser Evil is a sci-fi graphic novel that follows a number of broken people struggling to make sense of their lives and dreams in a galaxy torn apart by civil war.
A coming-of-age story, a fall from grace, and an underdog struggle collide in the midst of a violent civil war that challenges three men to question and reassess the mortifying cost of their dreams.
Peaceful Tomorrows takes place six years after the events of The Lesser Evil. The war seems to be cooling down, but it won't take much to turn it hot again.
The key to lasting peace rests with two unlikely men: the first, a Padakan naval captain, James Mawson, recruited into a shadowy conspiracy; and the second, Ross Tillman, pulled against his will back into the centre of events.
Peaceful Tomorrows is an Aurealis-Award-shortlisted graphic novel that explores the consequences of compromising one's core values, and the painful path to redemption.
THE LESSER EVIL
The Lesser Evil was my first book and, while I'm still proud as hell of how it turned out, it was a little rough-around-the-edges in some places. Having it go out-of-print was a blessing in disguise in some ways, because it meant that I could tweak those parts of the story and visuals that had begun to niggle at me, and bring the book into line with the aesthetic of the ongoing series.
In all, around 35 pages have new artwork (about 10% of the book), and a handful of pages have had the dialogue tweaked a little. This is not a major overhaul, and there is no need for people who own the original book to rush out and buy this one to be up-to-date with the canon.
The content of Peaceful Tomorrows has not been altered at all. The book, however, is now one huge volume instead of two smaller books. A few minor production issues from the original publication (a couple of blurred pages) have been fixed. It also has a new cover to boot.
SHANE W SMITH is an acclaimed creator with a number of full length books under his belt. His work includes the two-time Aurealis Award finalist sci-fi series that begins with The Lesser Evil; the Australian Shadows Award finalist zombie-family-drama Undad; and the post-apocalyptic-musical-adventure-romance James Flamestar and the Stargazers.
He has a Bachelor's degree in Creative Writing, and his oddest achievement is getting a comic published in a refereed academic journal.
Shane is the writer and artist for both The Lesser Evil and Peaceful Tomorrows.
Here's the fun part: you can pre-order these books through this campaign at a greatly reduced price. Also on offer is my entire back catalogue, at equally reduced prices (for more information about any of the other books on offer, please check out my website: http://shanewsmith.com.)
And don't forget for non-Australian visitors that all this is in Australian dollars! Here's approximately how it all shakes out, according to Google's currency converter (analysis conducted just before start of campaign):
DIGITAL REWARD TIERS
- $5 - SMUGGLER TIER will get you digital copies of The Lesser Evil and Peaceful Tomorrows. Almost a thousand pages here!
- $10 - MIDDLEMAN TIER will get you digital copies of The Lesser Evil, Peaceful Tomorrows, and the other two books in the series: The Game and the All The King's Men anthology. Over 2,000 pages in total!
- $25 - PROLETARIAT TIER will get you digital copies of the entire Shane W Smith library: The Lesser Evil; Peaceful Tomorrows; The Game; All The King's Men; Undad; Undad Vol 2; James Flamestar and the Stargazers; Academaesthetics; digital artbook (unpublished); Undad journal (unpublished); Triumviratus preview (unpublished). Way over 3,000 pages here.
PAPERBACK REWARD TIERS
(Note: all prices include shipping to Australia, Europe, the USA, and the UK, with an additional fee for other nations. Bonus: all paperback rewards also include digital copies of those books.)
All paperbacks on offer are printed with silky matte covers that - while a little unconventional - are solid, and feel unbelievably sexy to hold.
- $30 - PROPAGANDIST TIER will get you a paperback copy of either The Lesser Evil or Peaceful Tomorrows (your choice).
- $50 - REVOLUTIONARY TIER will get you paperback copies of The Lesser Evil and Peaceful Tomorrows. Almost a thousand pages here!
- $80 - NEWSBOT TIER will get you paperback copies of the entire sci-fi series: The Lesser Evil, Peaceful Tomorrows; The Game; and the All The King's Men anthology. Over 2,000 pages in this bundle!
- $150 - CHANCELLOR TIER will get you paperback copies of everything that's been published, and digital copies of everything else! That's physical and digital copies of The Lesser Evil, Peaceful Tomorrows, The Game, All The King's Men, Undad, Undad Vol 2, and James Flamestar and the Stargazers, and digital copies of Academaesthetics, the Undad journal, the digital artbook, and an exclusive Triumviratus preview.
- $100 PRINCIPAL DIRECTOR TIER will get you the entire digital catalogue of books, and thorough editorial feedback on a creative project of yours (up to 8,000 words of prose, or 30 pages of comic script), delivered by email. (Limited to 5)
WORLD-EXCLUSIVE NEW CONTENT
- $1 MESSIAH TIER and all pledges of $1 or more will receive a free and world-exclusive digital preview of The Winds of Change, the forthcoming final book in the series, at least a year ahead of its publication. This preview will be around 30 pages, which means that a mere $5 investment gets you a full thousand pages!
- As with all my other campaigns to date, I'll be offering incentives for people to encourage others to pledge to the campaign. Share this (re)launch campaign with your friends, families, and social networks. Backers will all be given a chance to identify how they heard about this campaign.
- The top three referrers will receive an upgrade to their pledge, or will land themselves an exclusive piece of Shane W Smith memorabilia (details pending).
Any questions, issues, suggestions, requests or bribes? I'm reachable.
You can learn more about any of the books on offer in this campaign here:
The Lesser Evil: http://shanewsmith.com/thelesserevil/
Peaceful Tomorrows: http://shanewsmith.com/peacefultomorrows/
The Winds of Change: http://shanewsmith.com/thewindsofchange/
The Game: http://shanewsmith.com/thegame/
All The King's Men: http://shanewsmith.com/allthekingsmen/
James Flamestar: http://shanewsmith.com/jamesflamestar/
So let's recap.
This relaunch campaign offers a huge number of lovely and exclusive perks:
- Value for money. Get a thousand pages of epic sci-fi for $5, two thousand pages for $10, or three thousand pages (including my entire back catalogue of books) for $25.There are also heavily discounted bundle deals on paperbacks.
- Early access. Get the new books a month ahead of publication.
- Win free stuff. Refer new backers and reap the rewards, including goodies that can't be bought anywhere.
- Editing opportunity. Back at the $100 tier to get extensive feedback on your creative work from Shane W Smith.
- Exclusive preview. All backers get a thirty page preview of my next book - only available as part of this campaign.
Thanks for checking out this page.
I'm genuinely excited to be relaunching the definitive versions of these epic titles. Help us re-launch these books in style, and pre-order your copies today!
Risks and challenges
I've got eight books out, and this is my fifth Kickstarter campaign. The remastering is already finished; the books are completed and ready to send. Pledges will adequately cover all costs associated with reward fulfillment.
This is as low-risk as it's possible to get.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)