This project's funding goal was not reached on May 19, 2012.
About this project
"You know what makes a good loser? Practice!"
-Papa Hemingway Look-alike Contestant, 2011
"I'll keep comin' 'til I drop dead!"
- Papa Hemingway Look-alike Contestant, 2011
Color HD | Dolby 5.1 | Feature Documentary | 2013
Every year, hoards of quirky middle aged men donning full white beards, sportsmen’s garb and Spanish red berets, descend into Key West, Florida for the "Papa" Hemingway Look-alike Contest, a part of the annual Hemingway Days Festival.
The contest, which began in 1981, celebrates Hemingway’s tenure in Key West and runs concurrent with his birthday on July 21st. It's held at historic Sloppy Joe’s Bar and attracts enthusiastic "Papas," their supporters, and outrageous, boisterous fans from all corners.
PAPA, a feature length documentary, will chronicle the Hemingway Look-alike Contest and spotlight a number of participating "Papas," their family members, friends, and fans. Additionally, the film will explore the concepts of celebrity, the importance of history, and create a portrait of the eccentric and proud "Conch Republic" of Key West.
PAPA will provide a curious glimpse into the private lives of ordinary men, who turn into the iconic, yet troubled American writer for a weekend.
PAPA Research + Production
Research for PAPA began summer 2011. So far, it's produced an abundance of novel and exciting story lines that we will comprehensively examine and follow. We've found that the dedication, camaraderie, and at times conflict the Papas have is very unique. Further, the research allowed us to cut together the first teaser. A second and third is in the works.
PAPA Teaser 1 (Released March 17, 2012)
PAPA Promo 1 (Released May 2, 2012)
PAPA Promo 2 (Released May 14, 2012)
Nonetheless, PAPA is nowhere close to completion. There's a ton of work that needs to be done and it's now a crucial point in the film's lifeline. PAPA must be financially stable to continue to apprise their tales. This is where you can help the film.
By backing PAPA, you would enable us to get through a hectic production schedule. We’re in dire need of the following: Road travel to the 2012 contest and throughout the United States to collect interviews, b-roll, and the like; Room and board for the crew; Insurance and location permits; Film, video and audio supplies; We’ll need to secure music and image rights; We need to actively promote the film; There’s printing costs; We need to keep the social networking and websites up-to-date; We need general supplies for the crew; We’ll need to edit the film; We’ll need to master the audio; We’ll need to distribute the film...and much more! See list below.
PAPA Goals (Short + Long)
The plan, other than telling a compelling, offbeat story, is to have PAPA finished by July 2013.
Short term: we would like the film to premiere at the 2013 Hemingway Days Festival.
Long term: we want the film to begin it's tour during the autumn leg of the 2013 film festival circuit in North America and abroad.
Overall: we need PAPA to build momentum and entertain audiences from all over. However, to be successful, we do need your assistance. Remember, you're not only rewarded with film credit, and/or a tangible item by backing the film, but you'll literally breath life into PAPA!
PAPA Backers + Supporters
So, as a backer, where will your support and donations go? Well, not only will you receive a stylish backer reward and film credit, but we can assure you that the donations from your pocket will go to budget costs associated with the development, production, and post production phases of PAPA.
Here is a few pieces we need in order to tell the story, along with some of the budget costs associated with PAPA:
- Road Travel 1 - To and from Florida area homes (Florida Keys, South Florida, Space Coast, Gulf Coast, Central Florida, Treasure Coast, North Florida, etc.) for interviews with participating Papas, family members, and friends.
- Road Travel 2 - To and from other state's area homes (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, Montana, North and South Carolina, Michigan, Georgia, Texas, etc.) for interviews with participating Papas, family members, and friends. There's even international Papa's located in Norway, Italy, Canada, etc.
- Vehicle Rental - We'll need to travel with our crew and gear to the areas listed above to collect new and additional interviews/footage. As you know, gas is really, really expensive!
- Room and Board - When travel is necessary the crew will need places to stay that's relatively cheap and comfortable. Of course, we'll even sleep on couches, cram into closets, or sleep in the van wherever, and whenever, we can!
- Permits - We'll need to obtain new/additional building, perimeter, and area permits for our shooting locations.
- Liability Insurance - We'll need insurance! We don't want people injured! Although, exhaustion of the crew is okay!
- Film Equipment Insurance - We can't have our gear breakdown in the middle of a shoot! We need to keep it functional!
- Film and Video Media - We will need film, video tape, and memory cards to record and retain all of our footage. We'll need to back up our footage too! We can't afford to lose any of it, especially for one time interviews!
- Sound(s) - We'll need to edit, remix, and master our audio. We'll need to obtain licensing rights from artists and musicians for their music when necessary. This can be really expensive!
- Image(s) - We'll need to obtain licensing agreements and permissions for images included in the finished documentary. Again, this can be expensive!
- Distribution - We'll need 35 mm release prints for traditional theater screenings and progressive HD downloads made available for digital theaters. We'll also need to design and author PAPA DVD's. Expensive!
- Public Relations - We'll need to push the film to local, national, and international media outlets. This in-turn leads us to marketing.
- Marketing - We'll need to actively market PAPA. We'll do this with online advertisements, radio ads, interviews, etc. We'll also keep our social networking profile pages, such as Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, and Youtube active. We'll need to keep our website(s) active and up to date. There is also a number of print costs associated with PAPA. This includes press releases, throw cards, posters, etc.
- Creative Control - We'll maintain creative control! We do not want to shop this project around to other studios. By supporting and/or backing PAPA, we will successfully hold ALL creative elements. And, as a kicker, you'll be listed on the website and in the film's end credits under the categories available in the rewards list!
- Crew - Most of the PAPA crew members are working on deferral. However, certain crew members need to be hired. Such crew include the cinematographer, sound engineer, website administrator and designer, etc.
- Et cetera - There's a ton of additional costs associated with making a feature film! So what is listed here is skimming the surface!
PAPA Rewards (Check 'em Out!)
Obviously, all the rewards are different! So are the pledge amounts! But if you back PAPA, your name will be listed under one of these categories in the film's end credits and website:
- CLEAN SHAVEN ($1)
- PEACH FUZZ ($5)
- FIVE O'CLOCK SHADOW ($10)
- A FEW DAYS STUBBLE ($15)
- ONE WEEK'S GROWTH ($20)
- SPANISH BEARD ($25)
- NECKBEARD ($25)
- VAN DYKE ($25)
- GOATEE ($25)
- SOUL PATCH ($25)
- JUST THE STACHE ($25)
- JUST THE BURNS ($50)
- MUTTON CHOPS ($75)
- CHINSTRAP ($100)
- CHIN CURTAIN ($250)
- SHENANDOAH ($500)
- FULL DARK BEARD ($1000)
- FULL SALT & PEPPER BEARD ($2500)
- FULL WHITE BEARD ($5000)
And, as for rewards, they are plentiful! Check out the pledge levels to see what you can get! In the meantime, here's a list of rewards we're offering!
- Your name listed in the acknowledgment and thank you section of the film's end credits and on the film's website.
- Access to project updates for PAPA.
- Our sincere gratitude for your support of PAPA.
- 4" x 6", color, silk screened PAPA post cards. (3 Designs)
- 1" color, PAPA pin back buttons. (3 Designs)
- 1" color, PAPA button magnets. (3 Designs)
- PAPA beard kit.
- 27" x 40" color, full sized, printed PAPA movie poster.
- PAPA t-shirt. (S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL)
- PAPA tote bag.
- Limited edition, 11" x 17" color, silk screened PAPA poster.
- Limited edition set of color, baseball style, PAPA trading cards.
- Digital download of completed film.
- Standard definition DVD copy of completed film. (NTSC or PAL)
- Blu-ray copy of completed film.
- Handmade, humidor style DVD/Blu-ray box set.
- Credit as Executive Producer.
- Special invite to the opening screening, pre-party, and after-party.
PAPA Crew + Resources + Info
PAPA Film Crew
Shane Christian Eason - Producer/Director/Camera: See right margin.
Nicholous Sacci - Assistant Director/Camera/Editor/Graphic Design: Sacci is a native Floridian that has had his video and graphic art exhibited throughout Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast. He works as a freelance videographer, teaches editing at the Miami Film School, and is the Production Resource Manager for Florida Atlantic University's film department.
Terryll Loffler - DOP/Camera: Loffler is a Canadian artist/filmmaker. His formal experimental work explores the conventions of cinematic genre and it's motives and audience expectations. His work has screened internationally in festivals and galleries. He makes a living as a freelance director and DOP in the film and television industry. Website
Matt Perez - Camera/Sound/PA: Perez is a filmmaker, artist and writer. He embraces the vices that come with doing all three. He's completeing a degree in Film and Video Production and English from FAU. Website
Jess Del Pino - PA: Del Pino holds a degree in Audio Engineering from Full Sail University. She's currently finishing an additional degree in Film and Animation from FAU. She's completed a number of independent short films and animations. Website
PAPA Contact + Additional Information
You can find additional PAPA information at any one of our social networking pages or websites listed at the right. So follow PAPA! Breathe PAPA! Support indie film and pledge to PAPA!
Contact us anytime through Kickstarter™ or email@example.com.
We're working on it! It's going to take some time! We'll post designs here as soon as we can! Trust us! You'll dig 'em!
Yes! Contact us anytime!
Yes, indeed they're the same. We had to reevaluate "PAPA" and Kickstarter™ has a policy of not using the same project name more than once. "PAPA!" is the one to back.
By all means, no! Not at all! The teaser we have is from footage collected at 2011's Hemingway Look-alike Contest in Key West, FL. We need a lot more such as interviews, additional event footage, audio recordings, photos, etc. This is why we're here on Kickstarter™ asking that you support the project by pledging. The film should be completed July 2013.
- (60 days)