Help us build the ShamanCycle, a Giant 10-person Eagle Bicycle with Beautiful Metal Wings, Flaming Eyes and Claw Fenders.
Our Lights and Music Run on Pedal-Power.
What is the ShamanCycle?
· The ShamanCycle is equal parts dynamic art sculpture and multi-person bicycle, a visionary green vehicle with a beautiful and massive Eagle as the roof! Something like this has never been created before. Six people power the ShamanCycle via peddling, 1 person steers, and the steering mechanism is integrated with the massive eagle structure on top, so when the bike turns the head and wings move in perfect unison! The ShamanCycle is made from reclaimed and re-purposed metal parts, imagineered by artist Phoebe Legere and engineered by a rocket scientist named Jeff Curious. The ShamanCycle will have a pedal powered generator to make it a truly off the grid mode of transportation. Oh, and fireballs shoot out of its' eyes, because that is awesome.
Why are you building the ShamanCylce?
· It is our collective prayer for a more beautiful, peaceful, and loving planet, a symbol of the kind of world we are calling into existence. A world where beautiful art can be co-created, sustainable, inspiring, cutting edge, healthy, functional, and fun, all while building community.
What does the ShamanCycle represent?
· The ShamanCycle represents the healing power of big art, sustainability, shamanism, a deep commitment to the environment, a willingness to learn from animals. It is a symbol of our love. We celebrate teamwork and collaboration, we honor the partnership between artists and engineers, between activists and designers, and the coming together of loving human beings.
Where did Phoebe get the idea for the ShamanCycle?
In a dream an Eagle came to Phoebe. The Eagle held an axle in her sharp claws. She said, "Build an Eagle bicycle for your people. I will shield them from the sun with my wings. I will look across the Playa with my flaming eyes. I will show you where healing help is needed. Go now and build a multi-rider Eagle bicycle."
Why is there an Eagle on top?
· Eagle medicine is incredibly powerful, and represents vision, courage, and the unification of heaven and earth. Eagle flies higher than any other bird, affording it tremendous perspective, yet it can soar down to the Earth in an instant. Eagle is an apex predator! Eagle can teach us about the interdependence of Nature, and about our ability to reach new heights.... while staying grounded and connected to the Earth and each other! Eagle affords us the vision and perspective to see how all things relate, and the courage to honor and respect all of these relations.
What is Shamanism?
· Shamanism is powerful spiritual technology that is your ancestral birthright. All ancient human cultures have a Shamanic aspect in their tradition and all open-minded/open-hearted humans can directly benefit from Shamanism. Shaman's are messengers between the spirit world and the material world. Before written language and civilization, information was conveyed through song, dance, and movements, often learned from close observation of Nature and all of her animals. This close observation and embodiment of Nature led to direct knowledge of medicine, healing, ways to communicate with the spirit world.
Can I ride the ShamanCycle? Where?
· Yes! At Burning Man 2013. During the day, the ShamanCycle will be parked out front of ShamanDome, part of Honeysuckle Village, and at night we will glide over the landscape, listening to the spontaneous call for healing, ceremony, and celebration.
Music, Lights and Devices on the ShamanCycle will all run on Pedal Power and Solar Power! Awesome! For both Jeff and Phoebe, this is probably the most fascinating part of the ShamanCycle...We are harvesting energy from eco-friendly, completely renewable sources.
We are #wooo-hooo! about our renewable energy, community Art-Transportation. We created cool T-Shirts and Hats with our ShamanCycle logo to wear while we ride; and now you can rock it too! #wooo-hooo!
How can one bicycle carry 10 people?
~There are 6 pedalers, 2 passengers, and a driver. There will be a place for a musician to sit on top. The ShamanCycle is a 10-person visionary vehicle! The wings are covered with beautiful lights that change color as they move.
Thank you so so much for donating to the ShamanCycle, our Visionary Green Community Art Transportation for Burning Man 2013!
Would you like to fly the skies of Burning Man even if you are unable to attend? Now is a beautiful opportunity to add your energy to the creation of ShamanCycle, our Giant Eagle Cycle. Powered by renewable energy, Shaman cyclists will take to the playa answering the call for healing, drumming, singing and ceremony! Your support will help us take Shamandome to the people.
Risks and challenges
The Eagle eyes will be made from welded copper hemispheres that emit jets of flame. All Flame Effects come with potential hazards. We are working closely with Burning Man Fire Safety rangers to make sure that our riders and our community will be safe.
The Eagle will be carrying a precious cargo of Shamandome Campers and passengers from other camps. We are acutely aware of safety issues. Jeff and Phoebe, and our team of volunteers, will inspect every aspect of the drive train, the brakes, and the wings to make sure that the ShamanCycle is in safe, working order.
The ShamanCycle is largely made from car parts salvaged at a junkyard in Grass Valley, California. The Eagle head will be made from a Brass Bed donated to Curious Forge, the Maker's Collective where the ShamanCycle is hatching. Welding is dangerous. We take the utmost precautions as we weld, braze and forge our mighty Eagle Cycle!
Our Pedal Power will be a huge challenge. We are building in "redundancy" so that if one pedal generator fails another takes over. We'll be pedaling during the day to build up enough power to light our wings at night. The ShamanCycle rear-end will lift up so that we have a "flywheel" generator.
We'll be using deep cycle batteries and augmenting with solar.
This Kickstarter budget is very conservative. The generators are expensive, our metalworking equipment is expensive, the metal is expensive, and we need special laser measuring tools...it all costs money.
Please help us. As you can see we have built a sturdy, strong base for our riders...now comes the beautiful Eagle on top, with her Flaming Eyes, Moving Head and Wings and Claw Fenders.
We have many challenges; but we have an incredible team of people from Shamandome Camp and Curious Forge who love to roll up their sleeves and get the problems solved. We are creating a giant metal Eagle puppet that is a green vehicle for 10 people. It's hard work but it's super fun!
The ShamanCycle is challenging, dangerous, thrilling work. It's amazing to see junk cars and trucks come to life again in a totally new incarnation! Discarded metal is being transformed into an awesome symbol of hope, love, community and renewable energy!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)