Surviving on Gaia is a challenge, to say the least.
With Infected, Raiders and other threats out there looking to destroy you, you need to find a fortified place if you're going to build a community.
And you will need to co-operate if you hope to live...
Together with the other players, become one or more of the four characters, each of which has different responsibilities:
- Bring new people into the colony as the Recruiter, and be responsible for ensuring their initial assignment is the right one.
- Dig up the bones of the past as the Salvager, bringing much-needed supplies into the Colony to help overcome the challenges you face.
- Stand against the hordes of Infected as the Defender, the head of the forces which will keep your Colony safe.
- Mitigate the crises that happen as the Leader, along with having responsibility for the food production of the community.
Only together will you be able to live long enough to build a strong community and weather what Gaia throws at you...
- A co-operative game for 1-4 players
- Playtime of approximately 1 hour
- Ages 10+
- Pack contains 108 cards and Rules Booklet
- Fully card-based: everything you need is in the deck!
- The deck is divided into 8 types of cards, including Character cards, Person cards, Salvage cards, Enemy cards and two types of Crisis cards
- Win by surviving 8 Turns and not being Infected when you reach the end of the 8th Turn
- Everyone gets to control their own part of the colony, not just the loud people!
- Doesn't require a moderator or phone app!
The game has been described by players as "A much more portable Dead of Winter" and "A Survival-Horror X-COM... but with no need for a mobile app."
Gaia is full of surprises, mostly nasty ones!
Not only will you have to face enemies, which are attracted by the size of your community, but you will have various other difficulties as well...
...and many more!
This is a co-operative game where the players must work together to survive!
Each player takes control of one or more areas of the Colony (the recommended split is listed on the Rules, if there are fewer than 4 players!) and is responsible for the decisions...
However, it's recommended the player's work as a team and try to figure out what the best method is to win!
For an introduction to the cards in Era: Survival colony, please check out this video, in which roles and cards are described in detail!
The gameplay involves each character taking a turn:
- The Recruiter adds new people to the Colony and assigns them to their initial duties.
- The Salvager draws Salvage cards and decides whether to play any, along with which ones to keep (keeping the same number as people assigned to Salvage).
- The Defender draws Enemy cards and decides how to allocate defensive forces to defeat them.
- The Leader checks the food for the colony (4 food per farmer of hunter) and adds a Yearly Crisis card, to the pile of any Failure Crisis cards (drawn when people fail).
- The Leader resolves the Crisis cards, decides whether to remove all Infected people from the colony and re-assigns any resources that they wish to.
This repeats until the Colony has survived 8 turns!
Rather than go into more written detail, we have created a video which explains all of the gameplay!
In this video, Ed attempts to survive and loses horribly... but it's a great demo for how the game works!
- Survivor ($25) - Era: Survival - Colony Base Deck (108 Cards, Rules Booklet)
- Champion, Overlord, Survivor ($65) - 3 Base Decks, one for each of our games (Era: Survival - Colony, Champion of Earth, Evil Overlord - Click for more info!), each of which has 108 Cards and a Rules Booklet!
Ed sat down with Jon Maness from the Swarmcast Podcast to discuss the motivations behind creating Era: Survival - Colony, as well as some interesting details about the rules and gameplay!
Expand Your Game took a look at Era: Survival - Colony, which they described as
"A truly cooperative experience where each person has a [...] role but all is necessary for the greater good of the colony. [...] This is going to my collection for a medium weight cooperative experience [...] it truly immerses the players to work as a collective whole."
More coming soon!
"A much more portable Dead of Winter! Easy to carry around, and all you need is a square metre of table to play!"
"A Survival-Horror X-COM... but with no need for a mobile app."
"I loved playing with my group, it was a great chance to strategise together!"
Risks and challenges
Shades of Vengeance has run over 30 crowdfunding campaigns on Kickstarter, and this is the third Card Game we have created.
While we haven't been mistake-free, we've always delivered our card games on or ahead of time (including Evil Overlord, which was just sent out recently, 2 months ahead of schedule!). We use each successive Kickstarter to build on the lessons learned from the previous, and we learn fast. At this point, we're confident in our ability to deliver the rewards we're committing to and to keep you informed if there are any delays.
The game is already completed and a number of packs have already been created for playtesting and demonstration. All we need to do is run a larger print run for the backers who pledge to this project and then distribute the packs - something we have a lot of experience in!
We're dedicated first and foremost to continuing delivering you the best material we can, and secondly to bring it to you on time. We hope you'll support our efforts to do that!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)