Smart Green Heroes - The Board Game of Green Business
Smart Green Heroes - The Board Game of Green Business
You are a small business owner competing to go green - and make money doing it! Board game for 2-4 players.
You are a small business owner competing to go green - and make money doing it! Board game for 2-4 players. Read more
About this project
Smart Green Heroes is a family board game for 2 to 4 players. In the game, you are a small business owner competing to be the first to go green. You'll need to work with other players to get there, but there can only be one winner.
Smart Green Heroes puts players in the role of small business entrepreneurs competing to become the most successful green business owner. The first business to convert their supply chain entirely to sustainable methods will win, but in order to reach that goal, they must remain profitable. Players will complete projects that address the Triple Bottom Line of sustainability: Energy, Community, and Environment.
Smart Green Heroes is highly competitive, but players will need to work together to complete their projects faster. Cooperation can get you to victory that much faster. The winner of Smart Green Heroes will be the player who knows when to work with others and when to go it alone.
Check out our gameplay video!
We are Smart Game Systems, a group of people dedicated to the idea that games can change the world. We believe that games are one of the most effective tools for learning and changing behavior. Because of this, we strive to create well-designed games with engaging gameplay that have real-world applications.
In 2009, Jonathan Estes wrote Smart Green, a book about the positive impact that even a single small business owner can have on the environment. The strategies used by these intrepid entrepreneurs inspired Jonathan to create a game based on those principles. Smart Green Heroes was born!
Chris Faulkenberry, the full-time game designer at Smart Game Systems, worked with Jonathan over the past year testing, refining, tweaking, and even overhauling the game until it was finally ready. Smart Green Heroes made its public debut at GenCon 2014, where it received overwhelmingly positive responses.
In addition to the feedback from players at the convention, we have tested the game hundreds of times with families, gamers, middle and high school students and teachers, and even top environmental experts. With their input, we have developed an exciting and engaging game that also teaches real business principles. With your help, we can make this game a reality!
Check out this review by Lance "UndeadViking" Myxter:
"...my favorite part was the help players can give each other on projects. For me it fit thematically and just made sense. The game is about greening your small business and just like in real life, it's hard to do it alone but together we can get a lot done! This mechanic really helps drive that point home."
-Christopher Meyer, The Gaming Cubicle
"I was fortunate enough to play this game at GenCon 2014. Christopher F. (from Smart Game Systems) played a game with me and my wife, and it has certainly piqued my interest in this company.
The game is a competitive one, with a clear winner, but during gameplay you are actively collaborating with other players to achieve your goals. It is actually a very interesting mechanic: the players who collaborate with you on your projects (give you money so you can start a project) will also receive the full benefits of said project. This seemed weird at first, as if everyone was winning at the exact same rate. But you have to charge the right price for collaboration; that seems to be the subtle difference between winning and losing."
-Ryan H, posted on boardgamegeek.com
- $5 - Thank You: We are grateful for every contribution toward Smart Green Heroes. At this level or higher, you will receive a personal email from us expressing our gratitude.
- $39 - Sole Proprietor: You receive one copy of Smart Green Heroes, including all stretch goal rewards.
- $50 - Literary Partner: At this level, you get the game and the book that inspired it! You receive one copy of Smart Green Heroes and one copy of the book Smart Green, by Jonathan Estes. Includes all stretch goal rewards.
- $69 - Partnership: You receive two copies of Smart Green Heroes, including all stretch goal rewards.
- $100 - Signature Series: You receive one copy of Smart Green Heroes signed by Chris Faulkenberry and Jonathan Estes and one copy of Smart Green, signed by Jonathan Estes. Includes all stretch goal rewards. (Limit 50)
- $225 - Smart Green Retailer: You receive ten copies of Smart Green Heroes. Includes all stretch goal rewards. This tier is for retailers only. You will need to provide a copy of your resale certificate or similar documentation to verify your status as a retailer before receiving this reward. U.S. only.
- $500 - Smart Green You: The talented Jacqui Davis will illustrate you as one of the Business Owners or Consultants in Smart Green Heroes. Your face will appear in every copy of the game! At its core, Smart Green Heroes is about people, and we want to give you the chance to get involved. When you back at this tier, you will also receive everything in the Sole Proprietor tier. You'll need to submit a photo with your backer survey so Jacqui can illustrate you. (Limit 7)
Shipping: Domestic shipping is included in all tiers for U.S. backers. EU and Canadian backers add $14 shipping for each copy of the game in your order. Other international backers add $21 shipping for each copy of the game. No additional shipping is required for the Smart Green book or the donation add-on.
- $30 - Donate a Copy: Add $30 to your pledge and we will donate a copy of Smart Green Heroes to a school, library, or museum of your choice. Along with great gameplay, our game has a real world message. This is your chance to give the gift of play to an institution of learning. In order for us to fulfill this add-on, you will need to provide the name, address, and website of the institution you want to receive the game. This copy of the game will include all stretch goal rewards.
When the Smart Game Systems Facebook page reaches 250 likes, we will add the "Crowdfunding Campaign" Project Card to every copy of the game. This card will be exclusive to Kickstarter backers. You can find our Facebook page below:
If we reach $18,000, we will add three new, unique Project Cards to Smart Green Heroes!
If we reach $22,000, we will add three new, unique Consultant Cards to Smart Green Heroes!
We'll reveal more stretch goals as we approach them, so be sure to check back frequently to see our progress.
Making a board game can get expensive really quickly! In addition to production itself, shipping, graphic design, illustration, and various other services all cost money. That’s where we need you! Smart Green Heroes has been thoroughly tested and is ready for publication. Your pledges will help us fund some final art and graphic design work and a full production run to get the game into your hands and into retail stores.
Because Smart Green Heroes was designed with real world application in mind, we are also working to make the game available to schools, museums, libraries, and other places of learning. Every pledge will help, so please contribute today!
Risks and challenges
Every venture holds unforeseen risks, and board game production is no exception. Manufacturing mishaps, shipping delays, and supply chain issues could throw kinks into the works. It’s likely that some things we don’t expect will arise, and in that case, we will adapt and work within the circumstances to solve the problem.
While this is our first Kickstarter and our first commercially available game, we are an established company and have been in business for over two years. We have done our research, and we are committed to doing this the right way. Smart Green Heroes is a fully tested and developed game. We have our manufacturer, artist, graphic designer, and fulfillment lined up. You can rest assured that we will deliver a quality product.
Most importantly, we resolve to keep the lines of communication open and keep you, the backer, up to date on our progress. If there’s an issue, you will know what it is and what we’re doing to resolve it. If not (here’s hoping!), you’ll know that too. We want you to be a part of our dream, changing the world one game at a time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)