About this project
Cocktail Hour is a new, illustrated deck of playing cards that celebrates the craft of the cocktail – offering a playful and modern twist to the classic deck through custom art.
* All images shown in this campaign are prototypes.
** Click on photos for Hi-Res images (available on most).
As a professional illustrator and designer, I’ve been enchanted with playing cards for a long time. My love of playing cards began in childhood during family games of rummy, and has continued to grow while developing my own deck, as I learn about their history and listen to family and friends’ memories of cards games. They have a universal magic that transcends different stories and cultures.
Cocktails are fun and sophisticated. They can lift the spirit and indulge the senses. Whether sharing a cocktail with a friend, or crafting a drink for a loved one, they bring us together – kind of like playing cards! When I decided to begin this project, “the art and craft of the cocktail” emerged as the perfect theme.
My goal is to create a beautiful, distinct and fully playable deck of cards. The deck features include:
- 52 playing cards + 2 jokers
- Poker size
- Two-way back design
- Clear, well-placed indices
- Classic finish
- Artful packaging with interior printing
- Stretch goals to add metallic-foil and embossing to the tuck box
- To be printed by Legends Playing Card Company
- 1,000 run minimum
Looking to traditional and vintage decks, I fell in love with the graphic, folksy art, and admired how the cards have been reimagined by countless artists. I wanted to bring my voice to the cards, using a playful theme with my signature brushwork and style.
The tuck box will be printed on matte paper with a solid color interior to create a beautiful display for your shelf or coffee table, and impress on game night.
Given the chance to meet the Stretch Goals, the tuck box will get a royal treatment of metallic foil and embossing. See below for details about the Stretch Goals.
The original goal for this campaign includes full-color printing on the tuck box. However, if the goal is surpassed, we can add a few special printing treatments as stretch goals for that added touch of refinement:
Here's an overview of the reward levels and package options.
I've described the deck, but here are the other reward options...
Cocktail Hour 11 x 14" Art Prints
- Pick your favorite card from the Cocktail Hour deck.
- Printed on matte paper with archival ink and signed by the artist
- Available in Reward Levels A2 and B2
(or add on individually, see below for info)
- Only available during this Kickstarter
- Will ship separately from the playing cards
Limited Collector's Edition Reward
This reward tier is tailored for collector's and includes:
- One Signed Deck enclosed in a Carat Card Case for protection
- One Regular Cocktail Hour Deck to open and enjoy
- Special limited art print as a thank you
- Available ONLY as a reward
- ONLY 25 available
'Print-at-Home' Ace of Spades Art
- Download hi-res files to print art prints, stickers, t-shirts etc.
- Will fit standard 8x10" and A4 frame sizes
- Available as an add-on for $5. See chart below!
- Cannot be resold and the files cannot be redistributed...
Want a different combination of items? Add ons are a great way to customize your pledge beyond the available reward packages from above.
Use the chart below to add the appropriate amount to your pledge, in order to receive additional decks, art prints, and uncut sheets.
Shipping included in prices below. For backers outside of US, please note international prices.
How to Add-on to your pledge...
- Tally up your Add-on choices from the chart above.
- Click on your reward selection on the right, then edit the pledge amount to include this add-on price.
- Then submit your pledge!
Can't decide now? Add on later...
- Visit the project page and click the blue Manage button that appears next to your pledge amount.
- On the next page, select Update your Pledge, and then update the pledge amount. Be sure not to change the reward tier, unless you intend to do so.
These playing cards have been a labor of love and the artwork has been completed. I’m now at the beginning of the production phase; however, with the printer’s minimum order of 1,000 decks, I just can’t go for it alone. With your help, we can bring this deck into the world!
Here’s why I need your help...
Legends Playing Card Company is one of the top playing-card companies in the world, offering superior materials and printing that result in cards that perform well, but are also beautiful and durable. This is where your investment counts! The funds from this project will go toward producing the deck and rewards, shipping it all to your front door, Kickstarter's fees, and help with expenses including: fonts, prototypes, packaging material, planning for unexpected costs, etc.
So why not indulge and back this project? Let’s bring this beautiful deck of cards into the world!
I'd like to toast to these amazing people who helped guide this project:
Risks and challenges
I've been a graphic designer and illustrator for more than 12 years. While this is my first Kickstarter, I come to it with years of professional experience working on print and digital projects, with many happy clients as a result.
With the best preparation in the world, bumps in the road can happen. I will be dedicated to keeping my backers informed of project news and send updates during the process. I'm looking forward to running this Kickstarter project from start to finish.
The finished product may vary slightly from the art shown here. As it goes through the printing process, minor revisions may need to be made, and I will keep backers informed of such cases.
Also, I'm padding the production and shipping time, since I've seen so many playing card projects be delayed. And while I think it could be done by the end of the year, I find it risky to promise a holiday delivery. (However there may be a chance it will arrive in December. We'll see.)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)