About this project
Now that this project is over it's initial goal I would like to share what I plan to do with the extra money I raise. My stretch goals are simple, the more money I raise, the more people I will be able to collaborate with and the higher quality this movie will be. $5,500 was the bare bones minimum I needed to make this project happen.
Now that I'm over 200% funded I can afford to hire a musician / band to score the video. I will be able to pay a professional sound editor to mix the sound in post production. I might even be able to afford a colorist to color grade the movie. You wouldn't believe how expensive it is to film things. Color grading alone can run up a bill over $4,500.
The bottom line is this: the more funds this project generates, the more exquisite this production will be.
...I'm already plotting a special "secret segment" for this movie... I can't say too much just yet, but I can give you a hint:
I would like produce a feature length (60-90 minute) instructional video on how to properly collect, clean, prepare, and eat the most common weeds and wild edibles of the world. My main objective behind this project is to create a movie that will help new foragers feel confident and capable to go out and harvest wild edibles from their surroundings. Because the topic of wild edibles is often surrounded by fear, my movie will have a strong emphasis on techniques for safe and happy foraging.
Why Wild Edibles?
Perhaps you're wondering why one might want to learn to harvest and eat wild edibles. The short answer is: "Because it's fun!" Searching for wild edibles on hikes and family outings adds layers of excitement to time spent in nature. It also facilitates bonding.
Here are a few more practical reasons to consider eating weeds:
• Exposure To Nature, Fresh Air, Sunshine, And Exercise - Let's face it, our technological world has the tendency to keep us indoors. Being in nature is necessary! Hunting for wild edibles requires you to expose yourself to the outdoors. This leads you to breathe fresh air and get vitamin D from the sun. It also leads to exercise.
• Free Food - Foraging can lead to HUGE savings on your monthly grocery bill. By utilizing more wild-growing foods, you can significantly decrease how much to spend at the store.
• Improved Healthy - Weeds and wild edibles have longer root systems and grow in soil that is less likely to be depleted of minerals. If you increase your intake of foraged foods, you'll likely see an improvement in your health.
• Local Food That's Healthier For The Planet - Wild edibles are the textbook definition of local food. When you eat locally, you reduce your carbon footprint. This is good for you and the earth!
• Expand Your Food Options - When you learn to identify new weeds you increase your food choice exponentially. Such discoveries make eating and cooking more exciting.
• Prepares You For Unfortunate Events - Hopefully you'll never find yourself in an emergency situation, but if that day ever comes, knowing a few edible plants could save your life.
My Qualification As A Foragers
I grew up in a very unconventional family... in 1998, my parents pulled my sister and I out of school in order to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) spanning from Mexico to Canada (roughly 2,650 miles). While on the trail, we ran out of provisions and turned to foraging for survival in the wild. For the six months that followed, we hiked and foraged off the land. In September of that year we successfully completed the PCT feeling happier and healthier than ever before.
In the years that followed, I enthusiastically pursued the study of plants. I studied under numerous teachers/mentors and have developed my own techniques for harvesting and eating wild edibles in a safe and sustainable fashion. I believe that my practical approach to foraging makes it more easily accessible for everyone. In 2013 I published a book about wild edibles with which I hope to inspire more people to forage.
I also have an active YouTube channel where I share my thoughts about edible weeds. Here are three samples for your viewing pleasure:
Don't Eat Something If you Don't Know What It Is:
Overview of Common Wild Edibles:
Credit And Rewards
Everyone who backs this project will get credit at the end of my film! Additionally, you'll also receive rewards that are 100 percent original and full of value. Here are a couple examples of what I'm offering to my backers:
Wild Edible Teaser (ebook)
Wild Edible Playing Cards:
These cards were successfully funded on Kickstarter last fall!
Risks and challenges
As with any creative endeavor, risks and challenges will arise and will inevitably need to be addressed. A project such as this one (which will mostly be filmed outdoors) is susceptible to equipment malfunctions in the field, finicky weather, and delays due to the unpredictable nature of... Well... Nature.
As a filmmaker and avid outdoors man, I have become well versed in the art of improvisation. If I encounter hardships while filming and editing this movie, I am confident that I will be able to overcome them and produce a quality product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (34 days)