Frequently Asked Questions
Selk’bag USA is the North American operating company for Selk’bag. We are a Chile-based company with aspirations for much more and our U.S. business is our first real international presence.Last updated:
The Kickstarter campaign is meant to help Selk’bag launch our new products into a new market within the United States and Canada. The process to produce and import the Selk’bag is extremely capital intensive and, as young entrepreneurs, we do not have the trust funds required to catapult such new products in a meaningful manner. While we have been in business in the U.S. for a couple of years, we have done so by bootstrapping our way into the market and making it happen through sheer will. Kickstarter offers an intimate experience with our supporters with an attractive structure for helping companies like us get over the hump. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support!Last updated:
Choice of the Selk’bag model depends mostly on the intended use. Other factors include your budget and your affinity for dressing like your favorite super hero.
Selk’bag Kids – This is our core model for children. It is the only model available for children outside of Marvel Kids. It’s perfect for camping or sleepovers alike and is limit temperature rated to 45°F.
Selk’bag Lite – This is our lightest weight and best-priced adult Selk’bag. Limit temperature rated at 45°F it has basic features, but still boasts removable booties.
Selk’bag Original – As indicated by the name, this is our classic Selk’bag. Limit rated to 35°F and good for three seasons, Selk’bag Original is perfect for camping in spring, summer or fall and a myriad of other outdoor uses.
Marvel by Selk’bag – The most unique Selk’bag to date, Marvel by Selk’bag is technically similar to Selk’bag Lite, just more fun! Limit rated to 45°F.Last updated:
A proper fit is essential to fully enjoying all the Selk'bag has to offer. Please note, that the sizing recommendations are meant for people of average weight, and sizing is impacted by user weight. For example, a Selk'bag may fit a person of below average weight with a taller frame that exceeds the guidelines. Likewise, a person of above average weight will likely require a bag meant for someone taller.
Intended use can also affect the choice that one makes when between sizes. For example, a looser bag is better for sleeping, while a more snug fit is better for walking and use while awake/active.Last updated:
EN13537 is the common sleeping bag testing standard adopted and strictly enforced by the EU since 2005. Since Selk'bag sells it’s products in other markets, we decided to test our products according to the toughest standard in existence, EN13537.
Comfort — the temperature at which a standard woman can expect to sleep comfortably in a relaxed position.
Lower Limit — the temperature at which a standard man can sleep for eight hours in a curled position without waking.
Extreme — the minimum temperature at which a standard woman can remain for six hours without risk of death from hypothermia (though frostbite is still possible).Last updated:
Yes, all models of children’s Selk’bag are tested for numerous standards, including temperature testing, flammability, lead, phthalates and physical/mechanical testing.Last updated:
While you cannot modify your Selk’bag to improve its temperature performance, how you use the Selk’bag and the clothing and accessories used can greatly impact temperature performance. The fastest way to make the Selk’bag warmer is to wear additional base layers. EN temperature testing is based on minimal under layers, so any layers that are thermally efficient will greatly enhance Selk’bag performance. In addition, using a high quality, sleeping pad will also enhance performance.Last updated:
All Selk'bags use Synthetic insulation and Polyester lining, while the outer shell is slightly different depending on the model.
For the outer shell:
Original bags use a more heavy-duty Nylon Rip Stop.
Lite uses Polyester Pongee for softness and flexibility.
Marvel Selk'bags use a Polyester DWR (Durable Water Repellant) material.Last updated:
No, it is not waterproof. The Selk’bag shell is finished with DWR so that water more easily slides off of the Selk’bag, but this is more typically called ‘water resistant’, definitely not waterproof.Last updated:
Quite simply, removable booties means that you can unzip the bottom of the legs of the Selk’bag to remove the feet so you may use your own shoes, boots or slippers with the Selk’bag. This adds extensive mobility to the Selk’bag experience and allows you to easily navigate in many situations, be they in public, nature or wherever.Last updated:
Very carefully! We recommend that the wearer unzip the top of the Selk’bag so that it may be slipped down below the waist. We have experimented with drop-seats on the Selk’bag but they are neither sanitary nor functional (you’d have to be naked underneath ;).Last updated:
The Selk'bag should last a long time and be with you on many an adventure, that is, if you care for it properly! Please follow the following recommendations for caring for your Selk'bag Sleepwear System.
Selk’bag recommends that you refer to the care label attached to your Selk’bag. The following are additional recommendations for caring for your Selk’bag:
Washing Your Selk'bag
Damage inflicted through washing your Selk’bag will not be covered under the Selk’bag warranty, so please wash with extreme caution.
• Selk’bag recommends you spot clean your bag after each use to keep your product as clean as possible without having to wash the entire bag
• Never dry-clean your Selk’bag. The chemicals used at dry cleaners may be harmful to the Selk’bag, potentially causing a reduction in loft and thermal efficiency. There are some professional cleaning services that specialize in washing sleeping bags. However, these types of cleaners may or may not be available in your area; just remember that you should not use your normal dry cleaning service.
• When washing your bag at home remember the following:
o Be sure to use a small amount of light powder detergent or special synthetic cleaning product. Do not use any liquid detergent or strong powders, which may be hard to remove from the materials after washing.
o Selk’bag recommends that you hand wash your Selk’bag in a large container with cool water and a small amount of a light powder detergent or special synthetic cleaning product
o Rinse your bag several times to be sure that all of the detergent is removed. Selk’bag recommends using at least two rinse cycles
o Although machine washing is not recommended for your Selk’bag, if you must use a washing machine be sure to use a front-loading machine. Do not use a top-loading machine; the agitator function could harm your bag. Before starting sure to zip up all zippers and turn the bag inside out. Wash on the gentle cycle with cool water and a light powder detergent or special synthetic cleaning product.
Drying Your Selk’bag
Drying your Selk’bag, whether out of the washer or after use, should be done with caution. Damage inflicted through the drying of your Selk’bag will not be covered under the Selk’bag warranty.
• Do not dry your Selk’bag in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. The UV rays may damage the nylon on your bag. Air-drying is recommended because it is the safest option for your Selk’bag. When air-drying you may hang your bag on a line or place it on top of something. The process may take a long time, but is important part of caring for your Selk’bag
• Selk’bag does not recommend the use of any machine dryers, especially normal household machine dryers. Most household dryers have a tendency to burn holes in the insulation of the bags
• Although not recommended, if you must machine dry your Selk’bag, we recommend that you use a large commercial dryer. Large commercial dryers will allow the Selk’bag to move around freely. Use very low, or no heat. This process will take several hours, and you must check your bag often to be sure that it is not being overheated. Be sure to check that the insulation in your Selk’bag is evenly distributed throughout the process.
Other General Care for Your Selk'bag
Here are some other general reminders for caring for your Selk’bag:
• When putting your Selk’bag into the stuff sack do not roll or fold it, instead, as the name states, stuff the bag into the stuff sack. Stuffing will create less stress on the bag’s fabrics and insulation and allow the thermal performance to preserve itself over time
• When removing your bag from the stuff sack be sure to remove it carefully, as to not damage any part of the fabric, insulation, or stitching
• If you are not using your Selk’bag for an extended period of time, be sure to air and fluff it out periodically. Selk’bag recommends this be done every few months when the bag is not in regular use
• To prevent any damage to the insulation Selk’bag recommends that you wear clothing underneath your Selk’bag. Clothing will help to prevent body oils and sweat from accumulating inside and damaging your bag overtime, plus you’ll get the added benefit of greater thermal performance!Last updated:
First things first: pull your bag out of its stuff sack and let it regain its loft overnight!
Storing Your Selk’bag
• It is important to store your bag in a cool, dry place. With good ventilation your bag will be able to keep its loft for the lifetime that it was intended
• Be sure that your Selk’bag is dry before storing. If your bag is not completely dry before storage it is possible to experience mildew formation before the next use
• Selk’bag recommends that you do not store your Selk’bag in a stuff sack for extended periods of time. Stuff sacks, although great for saving space and providing convenience during your trip, are not recommended for storing your Selk’bag for long periods of time as the compression created in a stuff sack may damage the loft and damage the Selk’bag itself over time. Instead, Selk’bag recommends you store your Selk’bag flat, hanging over a sleeping bag hanger, or better, in a large nylon or cotton bag (laundry bags work well for this)
• Selk’bag recommends that you do not store your Selk’bag in any type of watertight storage bag (like trash bags). These bags typically prevent proper ventilation and can be another source of mildew formationLast updated:
Absolutely. Selk’bag has repair facilities that we recommend to our customers should they require a repair.Last updated:
As of today, all Selk’bag products are made in China. We are always looking at new factories and new possibilities for bringing the most awesome Selk’bag to market.Last updated:
The manufacturer's warranty on the Selk'bag covers all manufacturer defects for a period of 1 year. Issues caused by owner misuse are not covered under the warranty.Last updated:
Please note, the choice for your color and size of Selk’bag is made once the campaign completes. You will receive a survey from Selk’bag, which will allow you to make your selection of size and color, based on the pledge level you made during the campaign.Last updated:
Once the campaign reaches its initial goal, the campaign becomes “fundable”, meaning it will fund upon completion of the initial time frame, 30 days in this case. Only when the campaign completes (6AM PDT on September 24th), all pledges will be charged their pledge amount.Last updated:
You can freely change the amount you're pledging to the campaign at any time before the campaign ends. Use the big green button at the top of this page, it lists what your current pledge is, and clicking it will allow you to change the amount and select a new reward if you need to.
After 6AM (PDT) on September 24th, your payment will be charged and we'll be able to start sending out the surveys to your Kickstarter-registered email address.Last updated:
We expect to be able to ship most orders before the holiday season (Selk’bags make great gifts!), some very soon and others a little later upon campaign completion. Some items (i.e. stretch goal items) will not ship until February or March of 2016. We are being very aggressive with our planned production and feel confident we will satisfy all of our customers’ expectations.Last updated:
Yes! Add together all of the rewards you want to pledge for, along with one shipping charge ($15 for US/Canada, $45 for all other allowed countries), and pledge that amount in the highest-tier reward you want to get. (if you want four Original Selk'bags, pledge $536 + $15 shipping to the Original Selk'bag reward)Last updated:
Within the U.S. and Canada shipping cost is $15. Outside of the U.S. shipping cost is $45.Last updated:
Yes, you can! We recommend our core retailers in the U.S. and Canada if you really want a Selk’bag fast. Please note, some dealers are selling our prior generation of product (i.e. no removable booties), so make sure you are aware of which version you are buying. You can visit our website for a complete list of our dealers at www.SelkbagUSA.com. For great service you can rely on Backcountry.com and Mountain Gear in the U.S. as well as Wholesale Sports and Camper’s Village in Canada.Last updated:
Yes, we have dealers in Europe (www.selkbag.eu), Canada and Australia.Last updated:
We accept exchanges only from our Kickstarter pledges. We do have very high satisfaction rates for our products and we’re sure you’ll love your Selk’bag too!Last updated:
This is a very unique and exciting trip through Torres del Paine in Chilean Patagonia that combines trekking, kayaking and even wine tasting on a glacier! Selk’bag has contracted with a guide agency with unique and exclusive access to certain parts of Torres del Paine to bring you an incredible and private 7-day, 6-night trip through the most famous and beautiful areas of the park!
Combined with a Selk’bag Patagon – our current technical version of Selk’bag – this tour would sell for $3,699 if purchased on your own – which technically, you can’t! We are happy to be able to offer this exclusive tour for $3,199, a savings of $500 to our supporters!
Two dates have been made available for this special tour. Please note, there is a limit of 10 adventurers per date, as follows:
Date 1: March 5 – 12, 2016 (limit of 10)
Date 2: March 19 – 26, 2016 (limit of 10)
The tour company is no less than Antares Patagonia, the only Chilean tour guides authorized to lead tours in Grey’s Glacier in Parque Nacional Torres del Paine. You can learn more about Antares Patagonia and the base itinerary associated with the tour here: http://www.antarespatagonia.com/trips/6to8days/amazing-paine.html
Please understand the base itinerary does not include three additional, and exclusive experiences. We’ve been able to add-on these spectacular experiences thanks to our relationship with Antares Patagonia:
1. A tour of and dinner inside the Centro Cultural Galpon Patagonia (Puerto Natales, Chile), a revamped 1920s warehouse turned art and cultural center
2. A true Chilean experience of a cordero (lamb roasting) en Estancia Goic. The cordero will be made by Baqueanos, who are gauchos from Patagonia to provide a very authentic experience
3. Finally, at the end of the trip, a cata de vino (wine tasting experience) inside the Grey Glacier itself! The tour guides are the ONLY guides in the world who can provide this incredible experience!
Other important details:
- The tour starts and ends in Punta Arenas, Chile
- Airfare is not included, so you will have to calculate the cost of the round trip plane ticket to and from Punta Arenas into the total cost of the trip
- Once in Punta Arenas at the specified date, the tour is all inclusive
- Adventurers will have to provide their own gear and insurance for the tour
- Activities include a fair amount of trekking over many miles in Parque Nacional Torres del Paine, so those electing this trip must be physically able to perform these hikes
- Glacial activities will include ice trekking, which will require a training course from the guides on navigating over the glacier
- The tour will cover the famous “W Circuit” trek within Torres del Paine, ending at Grey’s Glacier
- Accommodations during the trip will be provided through a series of “refugios” and hotels
- All Meals
- Private Guide
- Private Transportation
- Park Entrance Fees
- Sleeping Bag
- Beverage during meals
- GratuitiesLast updated:
Generally speaking, one can do quite a bit in the Selk’bag. The fundamental concept of the Selk’bag is to keep the wearer warm, either while sleeping, or while awake.
Great occasions to use the Selk’bag include:
Great places to use the Selk’bag to sleep include:
RVs & Buses
Under the stars!Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question