In the rush to invent, conquer, and create, the ultimate consequences are sometimes forgotten.
Earth lies in ruin. Our ever advancing Aether technology opened a rift to another time, unleashing an ancient beast upon the galaxy. Known as the Destroyer, this massive creature travels from world to world devouring the Aether in planet cores only to leave a dead shell in its wake.
The Council has invoked a peace treaty among the stars, in the hopes that nations from all over the galaxy will join forces against this ancient monstrosity. But amid this chaos, some organizations have different plans...
You play as a Galactic Cadet, tasked with traveling to hostile planets in search of precious resources before The Destroyer rips through the planet core. Team up with friends, gather resources, and craft powerful gear on your home planet so you can aid the fight to save the galaxy!
IndieDB Page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/roguelands
- From lush forest worlds to volcanic lava planets, planets in Roguelands will be filled with exciting moments as you and your Combat Squad explore the most hostile of environments.
- Planets will be procedurally generated. Trees, ore deposits, gathering nodes, and enemy types will be generated each time you and your squad beams to the surface. Be sure to watch your step because every planet will be different!
- The deeper into the Galaxy you explore, the more hostile planets you will encounter. Scorching hot volcanic planets require players to have Cold Stimpacks or Droids with the Coolant ability in order to survive. Frozen ice planets and noxious poison planets will also require specific items for survival. But the more hostile a planet is, the greater chance it has of it yielding rare materials!
- As players travel alone or with a squad, they will discover various spare parts around the Galaxy. Droids can be forged back on your home planet, be found as rare drops, or bought from exotic markets.
- Droids will feature abilities such as Mining, Woodcutting, Gathering, Coolant, Warmth, Anti-Poison, and much more! Want to mine the rare ores on a frozen planet? Take Droids with both Mining and Warmth to keep you from freezing! Want to gather a certain bug that rarely spawns in Forest planets? Take a Droid with a high Gathering Ability.
- If you're setting out to take down a rare boss creature, you may want to bring Combat Droids. Some Droids will come with abilities such as Laser, Bolt, Flame, Bomb, and much more abilities that activate when you enter Combat Mode.
- After successfully beaming back to your Home World, you may want to forge some new gear or cook up a tasty meal for you and your squad.
- So far, the professions include Smelting, Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, Cooking, Alchemy, and Spellcrafting!
- Cooking delicious meals will provide you and your squad with necessary buffs, while Alchemy will allow the creation of various potions and stimpacks. But don't forget to forge new epic gear for your character with all of the rare materials you've acquired!
- All Galactic Cadets use Combat Chips. These small augments are inserted in the back of your Combat Headpiece, instantly granting skills for battle. Anything from bonus speed to Darkfire at your fingertips can be granted if you acquire the right chip.
- When entering Combat Mode, the item hotbar will be replaced by your Combat Chip bar. Any Combat Chips you have inserted can be activated with the 1 - 6 keys for easy access!
- The more you progress through the game, the greater Focus you'll acquire. This will allow you to equip more powerful Combat Chips without the risk of being Mindwiped.
- I'm a huge fan of trading card games, and I love the deck building aspects of them. I want players to have that "deck building" feel when customizing their character's loadout of Combat Chips, Droids, Weapons, and Gear before beaming out to hostile planets.
- Want to be an Aetherblade wielding space warrior? Pick Damage-supporting Combat Chips and Gear with some Speed boosts. Want to sit back as your Droids fire lasers and drop bombs? Pick the Droid Master Combat Chip! I want players to have total freedom with how their character looks and feels.
- Magicite was my first PC game ever and I have learned so much as a programmer, artist, and game designer since creating that game. Roguelands is taking all the best things from Magicite, dropping all of the sloppy technical and design choices, and refining the 2D Multiplayer RPG experience into pure awesome addictive gameplay. Players can dynamically jump in and out of games that their friends are hosting, rather than having to join only during the lobby screen.
- Roguelands will feature over 10 times the amount of content: bigger worlds, tons more items, crafting recipes, player levels, player stats, weapon type choices, and much more! All with a sleek new Sci-fi theme.
- Collecting resources in Roguelands is unlike any other game! Instead of utilizing a pickaxe or a hatchet, players will construct or purchase Droids to do all of the work for them. Players can only equip 3 Droids at a time, so it is important to know what kind of mission you are going on in order to maximize the collection of resources and increase you and your Combat Squad's chances of survival.
- Another aspect of Roguelands that I'm proud of is the extended amount of lore. There will be a bunch of tidbits of information scattered throughout the galaxy that the player can find, and hopefully draw some conclusions about the truth behind the Destroyer, the Scourge, and the role of Galactic Cadets.
- As you probably know, Kickstarter has become an invaluable resource for indie game developers. Anyone with a decent idea for a game can learn to program, make some art, and get their idea out in front of hundreds or thousands of people. Kickstarter enables developers to explore new ideas and to have complete freedom over what they want to create, replacing the publisher role with the perfect support system: the fans!
- I need $1000 to cover the costs for upgrading to Unity 5 and to pay w.flux, the guy who made that amazing song in the Kickstarter trailer! Any extra money will go directly into funding me constantly ordering pizza and junk food so I don't have to leave my desk for a few months.
- Kickstarter also allows the backers to contribute to the content of the game! Some of the coolest items, enemies, and bosses in Magicite were actually backer ideas.
- Roguelands is mainly inspired by one of my favorite game series: Monster Hunter. I love the team work and the preparation required for fighting giant monsters, and I would love to capture that feeling in my game but in a 2D space. Players will have to equip certain weapons, combat chips, and gear to prepare for a boss and the harsh environment it resides in.
- Speaking of difficult games, I really want to capture the addictive nature of the Dark Souls series. In Roguelands, players will only save their items if they beam back home instead of going on to the next hostile planet. Hopefully this creates interesting scenarios in which you and your friends have to decide whether or not to cash in now or try to go even further and get more loot, with the chance of being wiped out and losing everything. I really enjoyed Dark Souls' soul system in which you have to risk everything to progress further.
- I think by now you can conclude that Roguelands will be a tough game! Roguelands will have a lot of Rogue-like features such as randomly generated planets, enemies, and hazards, but dying will only wipe out your resources rather than your character. Oh and if you're playing with friends, your whole Combat Squad has to be wiped out before you to lose anything.
- In Roguelands players will have 6 primary stats: VIT, ATK, DEX, EVA, MAG, and FTH. Different weapons will scale with different stats, allowing for a bunch of unique playstyles. For example, there could be a sword that scales with ATK and DEX, granting bonus physical damage and even movement speed. Or maybe a Gauntlet that scales with FTH and VIT providing bonus health and healing properties. The possibilies are endless!
- I haven't decided on a max level yet, but players will have an overall level that increases the more they fight enemies, craft, cook, forge, and complete tasks. Players can allocate points to increase their primary stats, eventually specializing in only two. This will prevent players from being good at everything.
- So far I've got Swords, Lances, Guns, Cannons, Gauntlets, and Staffs as weapon types, each with their own variations with randomly generated attributes!
Current Stretch Goals!
Roguelands Press Kit on Dropbox:
w.flux, the Composer for Roguelands!
If you loved the Roguelands Kickstarter trailer's tune or any of the songs from Magicite, please check out w.flux's soundcloud!
w.flux will be composing the entire OST for Roguelands!
Risks and challenges
Each project I've made over the last 4 years has been better than the last. But I really did not expect my first PC game, Magicite, to receive as much attention as it did or for it to amass such a huge and supportive fan base.
In many ways, I feel even more pressured now than ever. You'd think that with so much riding on Magicite I would have more pressure back then, but now I have something to prove. I have to prove that I am not just a one hit wonder, that I am steadily becoming a better game developer. I have to prove that I can take the criticism of my past games and use that knowledge to my advantage. That I can let go of certain game mechanics that didn't work, and improve on the ones that did.
Roguelands is my way of reassuring myself that I can do this for a living. That this is not just a hobby, but a career that I will have for the rest of my life. More than anything I want people to sit down, play Roguelands, and say "This is good. This is what Sean was meant to do".
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has supported me and my games along the way. If you've been with me since the Pixel Kingdom days, or even if Roguelands is the first you've heard of me, thanks for checking out my campaign. I have a lot of growing to do as a game developer, and I want you all with me as we head to a bright future of fun and adventures!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)