About this project
LET'S GET STARTED ON THOSE STRETCH GOALS, EVERYONE!
Current platforms: PC, MAC, & Linux
Potential Platforms: Wii U, 3DS, PS4
We now support Paypal!
The Overworld has been decimated by the Scourge, a beastly and shadowy plague of monsters. Survivors of this calamity took refuge deep underground and have created an entire new world by harnessing the new found power of Magicite. This network of underground passageways is known as Deephaven, a magical and wondrous place teeming with life.
- Players will generate their characters stats, traits, and appearance before embarking on an adventure by themselves or with a party.Once inside the world of Deephaven, you and your party will uncover the secrets of this massive underground world. Biomes include underground forests, icy caverns, dangerous dungeons, and much more!
- Your parties’ ability to fight and survive will be constantly put to the test. These procedurally generated instances will also have unique enemy types to fight, environmental hazards to watch out for, and vital resources to collect for crafting.
- Most of the basic materials needed for crafting your gear and items include wood, stone, and ores.
- Tools such as an Axe and a Pick are vital for getting the most out of the trees and veins of ore that you and your party come across.
- Herbs, shrooms, and roots can be picked from the ground and used for potion making when speaking to an Alchemist in a town.
- Make sure you hunt monsters for their raw meat so you can cook up some healthy dishes and keep your party from starving.
- Crafting the most powerful gear and weapons aren't easy. You can't just go pick up a Dire Bear's Claw or a Crushworm Core on the ground. You've gotta carefully prepare then go out and hunt mighty enemies that have a chance at dropping rare crafting materials.
- Prepare to have epic and memorable boss battles with the beasts of Deephaven. Hopefully your party is adequately prepared with the proper gear before being slaughtered by a giant monster. Of course, sometimes you won't see it coming. (HINT: KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN IN CAVES... A Broodmother Spider isn't a nice monster.)
- Defeating bosses are an excellent way of earning EXP, Gold, and rare drops.
- A typical character's life span will range anywhere from 15 minutes(if you're a noob) to about 2 hours(if you're a pro).
- When your character's HP drops to 0 the game lists all of you accomplishments and statistics during that play through. The game also keeps track of everything you do making way for achievements and unlockables the more you play.
- When in a party, Permanent death ONLY OCCURS when the ENTIRE party has been downed. Characters can go over to a fallen ally and help them get back into the fight for survival.
- After surviving an instance, players will be able to rest at a town. These randomly generated hubs give players a chance to sell and buy items, enchant their weapons, craft new gear, and prepare for their next outing.
- NPCs that you will come across in towns include Merchants, Blacksmiths, Enchanters, Faction Recruiters, Farmers, Butchers, Inn Keepers, Brothel Owners(You can get temporary buffs or horrible diseases!), and more!
- Every 10 levels up to level 30 you can talk to a Skill Master NPC to purchase and equip new skills. These abilities are bound to the 1, 2, and 3 keys for quick and easy access. These skills include ATK Boost, Fireballs, Lightning Bolts, Triple Jumps, Upgraded Dash, Werewolf Form, Temporary Invulnerability, and much more! I will have them organized into 4 sections: Offensive, Defensive, Magical, and Agility so players can basically create their own archetype.
The Gods of Deephaven
- Denizens of Deephaven believe in different gods. Upon entering the world your character can select a god to believe in or none at all. Based on your choice you will receive different kinds of buffs or debuffs when you pray at an altar.
So far for the Gods in the game include:
- Maalurk the Vile - A ferocious beast that feeds on the souls of the Undead. Followers of Maalurk usually have evil intentions while using either Dark Magic or practice forbidden Shadow Techniques.
- Eoqueth the Beautiful - Followers of Eoqueth seek peace in every situation. She is the embodiment of purity and beauty which some believe is all around them within nature.
- Ryvenrath the Scaled - There is a tale of an enormous red dragon that once roamed the Overworld. Followers of this aggressive god tend to believe physical power is the best quality anyone could have.
- Pegelda the Valiant - Atop her winged horse, Pegelda was once a royal knight of the Forgotten Kingdom. Enemies cowered in her shadow as she gracefully flew over battles and launched lightning-infused javelins. Followers believe the best quality of an individual is a strong sense justice and optimism.
- Monster Hunter Series - I absolutely love how I found myself spending hours just collecting materials and resources to craft armor and weapons and stuff. Oh also I want to recreate the sense of helplessness you get when a GIANT MONSTER emerges and you and your buddies freak out. But this time there is permanent death!
- Minecraft(Hardcore Mode) - Speaking of permanent death, this is the only way my friends and I play minecraft now a days. But I realized the most enjoyable part was the beginning when we all start out with nothing and we're just exploring and struggling to survive. I wanted to capture that first couple of hours of hardcore mode and turn it into a game. There are no blocks for building, though. I decided to put more emphasis on survival, crafting, and combat.
- The Binding of Isaac - Such a simple yet terrifyingly addicting game has created a wave of new takes on the genre "Rogue-like". I know true fans of the genre don't like that word being tossed around, but Magicite does heavily rely on permadeath and randomization. I guess it's a rogue-like-like.
- Tigsource Forums - There are so many impeccable art styles I have seen that other indie devs have created, and I can only hope that mine can compete. I've practiced my pixel art skills for so long and I really hope that Magicite is aesthetically pleasing!
The Music of Magicite
David Lugo will be composing all of the tracks for Magicite. He's done a phenomenal job so far with the Kickstarter intro tune and a couple of tracks that you can listen to! By pledging $40 or more you'll be getting the full digital OST.
Your Ideas Are Better Than Mine - I love crowd funding because people who are interested in a project can be part of it. By pledging you can get beta access and help with bugs, get exclusive in-game items and titles, and even help me create awesome enemies, items, and biomes that I just can't come up with by myself.
Outsourcing - So far I'm doing all of the programming, art, and design on my own. The one thing I'm not too familiar with is music, but luckily I've found a very talented composer who I must compensate for his time and extraordinary work.
Game Licensing - I'd like to expand to more platforms than just PC, Mac, and Linux. I already have a pro version of Unity but I'd like to get the Team License for when I hire more people to work on the game. That's $500 bucks already!
Registering SmashGames - I have many games on the mobile stores listed under SmashGames, but I have yet to establish the company legally. I don't know too much about that sort of stuff but I assume there is money involved.
Follow us, Like us, and Subscribe to us to get all the new info, videos, and pictures before everyone else!
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/magicite
Risks and challenges
It all started freshman year. So many changes were happening in my life, and all of a sudden there was a need to pay rent and tuition all on my own. Being a server at Steak N Shake wasn't cutting it, so one day I took my knowledge from my Intro to C class at UCF and combined it with endless online unity tutorials to create my very first mobile game. After 3 months of late night coding and learning how to use Photoshop, my first game Backyard Zombies was born. It was far from perfect, but it got me on my feet and allowed me to quit my days of being a server. Since then I have taken a lot more programming courses and have made increasingly better projects, but it is time for me to step it up. I want to make something complex, something that combines every bit of knowledge I have acquired over the past two years of being an independent game developer. Something carefully crafted with influences from every memorable game that I hold dear. This game would have procedurally generated content, networked multiplayer, a solid art direction, and hundreds of hours of replay-ability.
This game is Magicite. I have poured my heart and soul into this game and it is terrifying to finally expose it to the world. There are countless risks and challenges that come with pursuing your dreams but there is no time to stop and worry about them. I can only keep my eyes focused on one goal and it is a simple one: to get my grand idea out and hopefully provide people with a memorable and fun adventure.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (40 days)