So what adventure will you experience in Cirque De Solitude?
Audra Jones is a wealthy, timid woman who struggles to continue living in the busy city where she grew up. As the city grows, so does her desire to leave. Her fantasy books no longer offer the right level of escapism, and even mountain cabins aren't secluded enough.
So she finally splurges and buys her private island. What she doesn't know is that the island is already inhabited by circus people who are about to rock her whole prim and proper world.
Meet Audra's oppressive sisters Kendras and Natalia. Amuse yourself with the quirky, delightful circus islanders. Watch Audra as she goes from being one of the timidest of women to a dynamic, inspiring person!
Packed with over 100 illustrations!
- Can you spot the hidden characters in the cover? (If it's moving too much, there's a still version near the bottom of this page)
- Week 1: Kickstarter Launch (+ the 15-second animated teaser)
- Week 2: Release of the "Cirque De Credit-tude" song written and performed by Scott Wiser, Recorded, Orchestrated, and mastered by Joseph Limb.
- Week 3: Kickstarter live hangout with guest author Nate Stout.
- Week 4: A SURPRISE event: The How Do Draw Chimpy Tutorial!
Scott Wiser has worked as a character animator for film, games, a Netflix series, and commercials. He is constantly developing stories for animated shorts and illustrated-novel/feature-film-pitches.
His recent film, Layers, has received glowing praise from directors and producers throughout the industry. You may recognize "Layers" from the Kickstarter that raised $14,426 of its $40,000 goal. Scott Wiser found other sources of funding and animated it himself.
It has been enthusiastically received by thousands of online viewers and selected for several festivals, including the Oscar-Qualifying Cleveland International Film Festival!
Be sure to watch it full-screen!
So why not publish this the traditional way?
I thought about traditional publishing for sure. In fact, in pitching Vanishing Ink, one of the animation creative executives offered to become my agent and we have a project in the works. With Cirque De Solitude, while my agent said the story was beautiful and powerful and that I should definitely write it, she also admitted that publishers might not go for such an outside-the-box project. This isn't bad news, however, because I love the Kickstarter community and I learn so much from each of these Kickstarters. I'm sure that people of all ages will enjoy my illustrated novels and films. We proved that with Vanishing Ink and Layers. Now we just need your help to prove Cirque De Solitude's potential to publishers, investors, and film producers, etc.
- Shipping by August 2019
- Kickstarter Ends - March 2019
- Kickstarter Begins - February 2019
- Book Finished (With Black & White Illustrations) - January 2019
- Book Development - 2014 through 2018
- First Idea - approx 2008
Risks and challenges
With my past two Kickstarters the risks have been the same:
1. The time and effort I've already invested is a previous risk I've already taken and the skills I have developed have already made this risk worthwhile!
2. I need the funds before I can self-publish the book.
With Vanishing Ink, I delivered and exceeded backer expectations and the book received mostly 5-star reviews.
With Layers, while the Kickstarter failed to fund, I found and won a grant. I also added some of my own business capital and worked for over a half-a-year to finish the animation myself. You can watch that film in the page above.
I'm a definite finisher and expect to deliver on this project in the same manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)