From a ten-year veteran of the video game industry - former audio director and sound designer at Bioware - comes a project created solely for the world of tabletop games.
#1 - Unlocked! An additional 10-minute track will be added for everyone.
#2 - Unlocked! We'll be able to add iOS and Android phone/tablet support to the DM web app.
#3 - Unlocked! Yet another 10-minute track will be added for everyone.
- Just a technical detail ... I'm going to be shipping the surround files to you in DTS format rather than Dolby Digital (AC3). It's better because it's a lossless format, and it's easy to burn onto CD, DVD, or BluRay if you want to roll with a disc in your media center. (Haha, "roll", pun intended.)
- New $5 reward tier added for supporters. Get the two bonus tracks and a "thank you" on the project website.
Optional 5-Track Add-on
In addition to the free bonus tracks announced in the Update section, you can increase your pledge by $5 to get 5 additional tracks, as an add-on. An option for those who might want a few more environments for their gaming sessions.
Backers who have already pledged $40 or more will receive these add-on tracks automatically, with no additional pledge needed.
About the Project
This project's goal is to tap into the concept of enhancing your tabletop games through sound, and take it to the next level. Combining lush soundscapes with ambient music, The Wilderness is a collection of aural environments that will help transport you into the worlds that you create for your games. Because tabletop gaming is a social experience, it's important that any accompanying audio and music be subtle and supportive ... never taking center stage and never distracting from your adventures, yet bolstering emotion at the same time.
Here's a sample of what you can expect from The Wilderness. This track is set in the deep forest - somewhere wild, magical and untouched by civilization.
(You can download this track from the official project website.)
Here's some more samples from Bonus Tracks that have been added to the project for all backers.
What You'll Get
If the minimum project funding level is reached, all contributors will receive the entire collection of ten tracks (100 minutes of audio) plus the two bonus tracks above, in digital format via direct download. For every additional $750 reached above the funding goal, an extra 10-minute track will be added to the collection. The Wilderness has the potential to grow very large - and the bigger it gets, the more value each contributor will receive for their contribution.
UPDATE: Each track will be delivered in two versions - with music, and without music. This will allow for maximum flexibility during a gaming session.
The entire production will be created in full 5.1 surround, designed especially for those living room gaming sessions that include a multichannel sound system. Each piece of audio will be carefully downmixed to stereo as well, in case you're accompanying your gathering with something smaller, like a laptop or smartphone. (Or if you'd simply like to listen to them casually on your own!) Each of the 10 included tracks will be ten minutes long, constantly shifting and changing to keep things fresh and inspiring.
The Wilderness is the first volume of what will ideally become a massive library of ambient audio for tabletop gaming. This volume's focus will be on fantasy outdoor environments, like enchanted forests (including the evil ones) snowy mountains, teeming grasslands, scorched deserts, peaceful lakes, frothy oceans ... and otherworldly locales that you could imagine traveling to in your adventures.
Collaboration is an important part of The Wilderness. Higher level contributors will decide which environments are ultimately included in the collection through per-track, poll-based voting.
You'll notice that this project only has 4 reward tiers. You'll also notice that there is no physical product like a CD or a DVD. After a lot of careful consideration, the project was structured this way for a few reasons:
- More often than not, high-tier rewards go unclaimed in many Kickstarter projects. By remaining conservative and only having 3 meaningful (and affordable) ways to contribute, everyone benefits from the project structure, because ...
- Each additional $750 that is funded in the project will enable an additional 10-minute track, for all backers. This does something important - it encourages people to spread the word about The Wilderness, and provides more and more value for your individual contribution as total funding increases.
- Physical media like a disc doesn't seem suitable for a collection of audio tracks of this length, especially if we manage to produce more than the 10 initial tracks. It's important to get the content to you quickly and easily and to use funds directly for soundscape creation, not physical goods.
Imagine your tabletop games with a layer of extra immersion on top. Sound is a very real and meaningful way to enhance the memories you're making during your play sessions. Gather all your gaming friends together and let's make this a start to something truly imaginative!
Risks and challenges
The great thing about this project is that the risks are very low. There's no physical product, so we won't have to worry about manufacturing or shipping woes - the content you're helping to create will go straight into your hands via download.
I'm extremely confident about my ability to complete and deliver these soundscapes to you ... I've been creating rich worlds of sound professionally for a long time, in many different settings. I've been a sound designer and composer on several high-profile video games (Mass Effect, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Darksiders, Titan Quest) so I've had the time to develop my artistic skill set and expertise over the years. I'm very excited to get the ball rolling for all of you on this one!
The resources, equipment, and relationships that are needed to be successful are all in place, so the work can begin with no delays.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)