Project Terra Incognita – High resolution video and photography from near orbit. This is a both a science and photography project being conducted by a group of six 6th grade girls in Bowling Green, Kentucky. They are requesting donations for a seemingly impossible but absolutely achievable project. Their goal is to send a payload into near-space, take measurements as well as high resolution pictures and video and re-acquire the payload after coming back to earth. The team humbly submits our project for your consideration knowing the only way we can accomplish our goal is with your help!
The objective of the project is to:
- Place an object into the stratosphere (around 20 miles above the earth’s surface) via a weather balloon and return it safely back to earth without damaging any of the equipment from the fall or extreme temperatures and wind speed.
- Take both HD video and high resolution still photographs of the curvature of the earth and black of space from near orbit.
- Collect data measurements about the speed of ascent/descent and air temperature of near orbit.
- Exhibit the final photographic and video imagery of the teams work.
- Inspire others to challenge the idea that some things are impossible.
The project will take place over the summer months of 2012, and we expect to be able to fulfill rewards of donation contributions in August. The team believes they will need roughly $3,600 to purchase necessary equipment and supplies to accomplish this project, fulfill the rewards for donations and produce exhibit materials.
The equipment we will be using is listed below:
- Sony Alpha NEX-5n, 16mm Wide Angle Lens, Time-lapse Triggers
- Two GoPro Hero2 Video Cameras and Extended Battery Pack
- Three 32 Gig SD Cards
- iTrack GPS Tracker, Service and Sim Card
- Spot Satellite GPS Messenger
- Weather Balloon, Payload Package, Rader Reflector, Rope, Parachute, Beacon light, Helium and Hand Warmer
- Other miscellaneous supplies
Hi, I'm Anna Scifres and together with five of my friends, some help from my dad and of course you, we hope to accomplish our goal of gathering pictures and video from near orbit. Below is a picture of our project team. As you can tell, we are totally psyched about the project.
Through the course of this project, the team will have to solve some fairly complicated issues related to safely placing the package into near orbit and back in one piece. They will also be learning the basics of how to work in a team to achieve a significant goal over an extended period of time. And, because they are using Crowd Funding and donation rewards, they will a learn a fair amount about what it takes to be an entrepreneur. The team will be further developing their leadership skills by presenting their results project at their exhibit and school.
Thank you all so much for your interest, consideration and donations. We greatly appreciate any contribution you make!
Photo of earth from the stratosphere above appears courtesy and copyright Edouard Janssens from Belgium. It is a great example of what the girls are hoping to capture. His video and photos provided the inspiration for Anna and her friends to embark on this project.
- (30 days)