Child Access Bed and Bath, Parents' Accessible Home Design
Child Access Bed and Bath, Parents' Accessible Home Design
Complete essential methods for bed and bath design with your kids participation. Families create accessible & healthy spaces together.
Complete essential methods for bed and bath design with your kids participation. Families create accessible & healthy spaces together. Read more
What this Book is About:
Child Access Bed and Bath is a proactive approach for parents and helpers seeking better bed & bathroom designs for their child or youth with mobility needs.Children,youth and young adults can experience increased self-determination,autonomy and self-efficacy by participating in the design of their own spaces. Interdependent space and use for both parent and child is focused on. All children need help learning these life skills. Designs need to work for child and parent when using mobility aids in motion.
Parents with limited time and resources will appreciate the design and planning lists with both low and high tech solutions.Apartment rentals, home-modifications, additions and new home construction, along with vetted product references are explored. You are guided on how to measure spaces and plan accordingly for your child's mobility needs.This will all be very helpful when working with a designer or therapist. Guidance is also offered on how to select a designer,therapist and builder team.
Who this book is for:
- Parents and families that like the idea that self determination, autonomy and self efficacy can be enhanced with home design
- Renters and owners seeking strategies for easier access.
- Families preparing for a family member returning from the hospital
- Those who can't afford an architect or an Interior home designer
- Home-school practitioners that want to include inclusive design
- Students, Therapists, Designers, Pediatricians and Physicians
- Independent Living Centers with child and youth resource libraries.
- Home caregivers, children's hospital gift shops
What this book will do for you:
- It provides instruction and a blueprint for bed & bathroom design that includes parents, helpers and space for mobility aids.
- Develop design skills with your child or youth who has mobility needs. They'll be prepared to design their home bed and bath wherever they choose for a life time.
- Save time and money with efficient,functional spaces and safe designs.
- Decorate and build with healthy materials and include natural features at your own location.
- Help you create a fire safety plan for a family and child with mobility needs. Also includes water safety and storm safe-rooms design.
- It provides clear and concise reference point when with a designer or therapist and designing for access within any home type.
- Understand home features to look for in a rental that will accommodate mobility devices and access before moving in.
- Help you seek funding for home-modifications and the processes to best approach the task. This is included when the stretch goals noted below are reached.
- This is the first in a series of 3 books that will explore the entire home for mobility needs within the family context.
- The print books will ultimately be printed by Create Space (and others) for Amazon fulfillment after completion of this campaign.
- The Print Book size is 5.5" x 8.5" (140 x 216 mm)
- The goal is to reduce it down to 50 K words from the now 80 K.
- The page count will range from 250-300 pages.
- Graphics are Black and White and will be less numerous in the E book.This will keep prices and file sizes to a minimum.
- The bottom of this page displays all of the book covers. Subtitle banners are decorated with national soccer team colors, just for fun.
- The book transcript is 90-95% complete on April 4th, 2017
- noted below is a working chapter list
Articles To Read Until the Book is Yours:
- If we reach the base funding goal in the first week, the English book will include the funding strategies and resources section as a bonus.
- When we reach $15 K in backer funds the book will include 6 bed and bath accessible home addition plans.
- When we reach $ 20 K in backer funds every backer who selected an e-book reward and above will receive a free Spanish E-book!
- The Spanish E book will then also become available as a reward for purchase. I may add a print book option pending interest.
- When we reach $40 K the French E-book will become available as a new E book reward level.
- When we reach $ 60 K the German E-book will become available.
- When we reach $ 80 K the Portuguese E -book will become available as a reward. Brazil's team colors are sported on this version.
- If we reach the lofty level of $100 K The Hindi and India version will be offered. It may be offered as a print book first as is more common.It is shown at the bottom of this page.
Charles M. Schwab Architect and Author is not affiliated with the brokerage company of the same name... but I have fun giving them a hard time.)
Please help make this project real, your support goes toward the following costs:
- Quality Editor w/ a focus on mind, health and youthful spirit.
- Translations when stretch goals are reached
- E-book formating of each language in e-pub and Kindle
- Print formating in foreign languages if offered during campaign
- ISBN numbers, Library of Congress registration
- Shipping supplies and distribution fees, I hope to ship from within Europe, AU, etc. to save you VAT taxes,pending quantities.
- E-book distribution fees for all languages, files reside at a server.
- New website design, if stretch goals are reached.
- Email list subscriber fees on the website.
- Copyright fees,taxes,rent,overhead.
- Kickstarter and card processing fees: 8-10%
- Print books and book cover loan design costs
- International shipping and packaging, if Euro distribution is utilized
Part 1:Toward Mobility Empowerment
- How to Use this Book
- Feet/Inches and Metric SI units used simultaneously.
- Bed and Bath Environments: Building Blocks for Self Determination.
- Environmental Psychology 101: Knowing who we are designing for and at what ages, before we start designing.
- The First Three Years and the Benefits of a Healthy Home.
- Teen Independence begins with Parent and Child Interdependence.
Part 2: Healthy Bedrooms and Mobility
- Bedroom Design is personal and can work for Parents and Helpers.
- Big Picture Planning: Where Located, How Big and What Size?
- Bedroom Aesthetics: Fun and Bright with Exterior Connections.
- Feng Shui and Access:Able Space Similarities.
- Thermals, Fresh Air, Warm Floors for Warm Feet and Hot Wheels
- Color Kids World with Color Rules of Thumb
- Natural Sunlight and Artificial Lighting. Quick & Easy Design Lessons
- Home Healthcare in Your Kids Room? Here's How to Do It.
- Robots named VGo and Giraffe could soon be Dr's Orders.How to Design for Strolling (Both Walking and Rolling) Visitors
- Bedroom: Access:Able Furniture Detail List
- Electric Beds and Natural Bedding: Coexist in an Eco-Bedroom
- A Smooth Ride with Mobility Friendly Flooring.
- Remodel Design List, Use Plan Templates for Concept Design
- How to Select a Rental Apartment or House for Optimum Access?
- Kids Bedroom Safety Lists
- The Fire Safety Plan with Windows and Space Planning that Works.
- After Injury and in a Hurry: When a Remodel wont work.
- Sample Bed and Bath Home Addition Plans
Part 3: Parts of The Whole
Common and In-Between Spaces
- Daughters Special Vanity Need Not be in the Bathroom
- Storm and Panic Safe Rooms
- Spaces for Play and Study, Child and Youth Private Spaces
- Getting In and Out: Passages and Doors, how to Minimize Both
- Getting started by working with you Child or Youth. We'll use measuring resources at the back of the book to help us here.
- Age Appropriate Dressing and Child Development
- Save Time with Space for A Change.
- Spaces that grow with Your Child or Youth.
- Vertical Changing Stations can Change Lives
- Horizontal Changing Stations: Planning List & Detail List
- User and Helper Assessments at the Changing Area
Ceiling and Mobility Lifts
- Child and Youth Assessment First, Parent or Helper Next.
- Health Benefits of Active and Passive Applications
- Rolling Floor Lifts and Ceiling Lifts in a Remodel
- Ceiling Lifts: Installation and Planning List & Detail List
- Space on the Floor ,Space in the Air: Using Templates for Preliminary Space Design. Then Adapt for You and Your Child or Youth.
- Ceiling lIft: Assessment of the Homes' Structural System
Storage and Closet Spaces
- Access: Able Closet Planning List & Closet Detail List
- Managing Mobility Aid and Medical Supply Storage
Part 4: Bathrooms:Good Design can mean Saving Time.
Big Picture Bathroom Planning:
- Rental Strategies to Increase Space in a Rental Bathroom
- The Child or Youth Bathroom for Two or More. Start Here!
- Assessing a Structure, Before you Move In.
- Sibling Sensitive Bathrooms for Everyone & when there's only one.
- Child-Proof Bathroom, for Parents and Siblings too
- Effective and Clever Bathroom Lighting Design for the Novice
The Sink Basin or Vanity:
- Space at the Grooming Area for Two or More. Planning List
- Lo-Tech Solutions that hang Out,Stabilize and Stick
- Vanities and Counter areas for Sitting and Standing Aid Use
- Easy to Use Faucets, Controls and More: Vanity Detail Lists
- Rental -Remodel Solutions at the Cabinet Sink
- Efficient and Effective, Point of use Storage at the Grooming Area
- Analyze for Potential Barriers at the Sink. Study before you Move In
- Hygiene Toileting Systems can save space and ease transfers
- Changing, Transferring and Positioning at the Toilet
- Hygiene Wiping Tips and Tools
- Space Planning List & Detail list
Grab and Balance Bars:
- Vertical and Horizontal
- Anywhere for Balancing, Reaching and Supporting
- Installation and Product Type Detail List
Tub Benefits and Water Play:
- Childhood Benefits of Water Submersion for Learning
- Toddler bath Seats and Guidelines
- Portable and stationary tub lifts: Detail Lists and Specifications
- Boards,Benches and Seated Showers
- Tub Safety List and Bathtub Design Details
- Water Saving games and Bathroom Fixtures teach self reliance and can be a lesson in self-efficacy.
- People with mobility needs can consume allot of water. Teach your child how to manage water use for a lifetime.
- Multiple Hand Shower Benefits for Parents and Youth
- Water Temperature Control and Water Pressure Detail List
- Rental Remodel and the Shower
- Hand Shower Product and Detail List
- Internet of Things Support
- Wet Rooms can Simplify the Bathing Process
- Wet Room: Planning List & Detail List
- How to Create a Wet Room: Top 21 Components
Full Body Showers:
- Shower Planning List
- Transfer & Prefabricated Showers
- Custom Curb-less Showers and Linear Drains
Part 5: Taking Action: Funding & Resources
- How to Measure your Spaces with your Child or Youth
- Avoid Injury with Safe Transfer Techniques and Body Mechanics.How to use Lifts with a transfer, positioning and set-up. Transfers may be beyond the scope of this book. Pending.
- How to select a Designer,Therapist and Builder for mobility access when the time comes, now that you know the ropes!
- Funding Strategies and Financing Processes section will be added when the stretch goal noted above is reached.
International Book Cover Designs
Risks and challenges
1) There is the obvious, sometimes comical risk of people confusing me with the stock broker of the same name. I do need to sincerely fund this project to make this happen.
2) A big challenge will be shortening 80 K of word content to 50-60 K and still include backer input.I do believe backer input will be very important to success of the book.
4) I will be actively designing access:able homes for families during the campaign. I hope to personally respond to backers during the campaign.That will be the real challenge while maintaining my day job and keeping my home design clients happy.
2) A challenge I see is rolling out each language and then having each formatted in the E-Book and perhaps print book.
One step at a time, it needs to be funded first, so please participate.)
.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)