Gravity defying, genre combining, beat'em-up, shoot'em-up, action game, brought to you by an alliance of game industry veterans! Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on February 19, 2014.
About this project
Try out the new Hardcore demo on PC or Mac now!
UPDATE #16: Evolution of an Enemy. Get a glimpse it what goes into bringing a character from concept to reality.
UPDATE #15: Early Version Video! Watch video footage captured from the pre-makeover version of To The Death!
UPDATE #13: Hardcore Demo! Check out the new 1 life, 1 hit hardcore demo out now!
UPDATE #12: PS4 and Vita Support! Now you can get the game for PS4 or Vita on release!
UPDATE #9: Playable Prototype Demo! Try out some of the core gameplay in To The Death! What are you waiting for? Go try it out for yourself!
UPDATE #8: Overpowers and Weapon Charge. Learn how our timing based overpower attack works along with a little info on sharpening your weapon!
UPDATE #7: Reward Designs! Check out the designs for the t-shirts and concept for the art book cover!
UPDATE #6: Controls Video! Frank from Scary Mostro hosts a video that goes into how the controls work in To The Death!
UPDATE #5: Boss Fight Concept Art! Check out new concept art showcasing what the big boss fight is going to look like!
UPDATE #4: Single Player Video! Watch as we take you through a sample single player session with some new game footage and concept work!
UPDATE #3: Broadening the Scope. Working on ways to bring To The Death to all platforms from the start, ways we'll be showing To The Death's broader scope outside of the intense combat, and new concept art!
UPDATE #2: The Progression System. Check out a breakdown on how you'll progress, a video of the on-the-fly build system, some of the powers you'll be able to put together, and how Influence Perks can change the game!
- Coming to PC, Mac, Linux, Playstation 4, and Vita, To The Death fuses the beat'em up and shoot'em up genres into something new and refreshing, offering a host of fun, innovative gameplay mechanics all at 60 frames per second! You switch between playing as two great warriors who have killed each other but have a vendetta so deep, it continues after death.
- Explore the world of the Crawl alternating between both warriors, conquering and discovering new levels, dynamically zooming in to fight and zooming out to shoot wave after wave of enemies that change each time you play. Attack and defend with precision, having full 360 degree control of where you swing, shoot, and defend. Get a quick fix alone, play co-op for hours with a friend, or battle to the death with some intense new ways to play multiplayer.
- Build up both warriors on-the-fly with new powers, weapons, and ways to influence the balance into your favor. Swap out your gun for one that stuns enemies, then bring them to you with your magnetic shield upgrade, and finish the group of bad guys off with your sword’s spin attack! Be creative and use your chosen abilities in many different powerful combinations.
A strong, ambitious game requires a strong, ambitious team. To The Death combines the experience of some crazy talented people!
- The team also needs you. We've come to Kickstarter because this is a new type of game, one we truly believe in. Funding through Kickstarter gives us the freedom to make the game without compromise. It also allows us to get your input, your feedback, and your participation, so that together we can push To The Death to its full potential!
Get your very own To The Death deck of playing cards!
Check out some of the t-shirt concepts we've been working on!
More concept for the Art Book cover!
Where are we now? Prototype.
- Our game is fully functioning and playable. What you see in the video is in-game and running at 60 fps.
- We worked on the initial version of To The Death for the first half of 2013. At E3 we hooked up with Cecil Kim and jumped at the opportunity to team up with his art studio to make the game not only play well, but look amazing too.
- The final piece of the puzzle is YOU. Your help allows us to retain creative freedom which in turn allows us to incorporate your feedback, voice, and perspective directly into the game. With your help we can mold To The Death into an even better experience!
Our families and loved ones that have stood by us and believed in us, Rand Bleimeister and Deliver the Crowd, Andrew Wang and Supergiant Games, Jean Pierre Kellams and Platinum Games, Stephen Lim and Riot Games, Voldi Way, John Beck and the great people at Wayforward, Jason West, Social Radius, Wyman and Isaacs, Mark Rubin, Tom Giardino, Robert Bowling and Robotoki, Justin Clay, Benson Russell, Chris Plunk, Nick Suttner and all the helpful people at Sony, and all of our great friends at Respawn Entertainment.
Video production by Andrew Oh, Ted Chung, and Unit 5 Films.
Voice-over for video provided by Logan Cunningham.
Music for video: Stock media provided by Bobby Cole / Catch 22 Music and Kristopher Fisher / Pond5.com
Disclaimer: Scary Mostro and Section Studios, and its owners and collaborators, are not sponsored by, endorsed by, or affiliated with Infinity Ward, Activision, Respawn Entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Santa Monica, SquareUSA, Riot Games, Platinum Games, Harmonix, Gearbox, Microsoft, Apple, or the video games Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Titanfall, God of War, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Rising, Bastion, or the movies Pacific Rim, Iron Man 3, Hellboy 2, or the bands Machine Head, Five Finger Death Punch, Bullet for My Valentine, Gojira, Periphery, Limp Bizkit.
Risks and challenges
Making great games is hard work. We've been doing it for the past 14+ years and have delivered some great games with the highest degree of polish and on schedule.
We are doing several things that will enable us to deliver our game on time and manage the money you contribute to this project:
1.) Scheduling: One of the keys to bringing in a game on time and on budget is good scheduling. We've done this up front and so we know what features we'll have and how long they'll take to do. Built in is a buffer that allows us to also iterate, be fluid and organic based on the game's needs by cutting what doesn't work and substituting it for what does, and polishing all of these features to make the game the best it can be.
2.) Design: Just like our work on the Call of Duty franchise, we are carefully defining and iterating on each aspect of the game so that it remains polished and synergistic, keeping the scope of the game manageable, and the gameplay experience fluid and fun.
3.) Art: Section Studios creates some of the best art in the game business. They have a proven workflow for creating environments, characters, weapons and levels. Because of the 2D nature of To The Death, creating great art and moving it into the game is not a risk but an advantage.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We will continue to pursue development on additional platforms and we'll keep you up to date on any additions. We want everyone to have the opportunity to battle in To The Death!
Probably, but that's not what we're making.
What you see is just a combat prototype. The full game features a fully explorable overworld map, replayable levels with exponential configurations of enemies, bonus mini-game levels, a deep and varied progression system, dozens of special moves and combos, a story told from multiple perspectives, and a rich combat system with tight controls.
We have a big vision for To The Death and want to do the game its due service by bringing on the best artists, animators, sound designers, and musicians that we can.
We also have to account for Kickstarter fees (5%), Amazon fees (3-5%), and the cost to create and distribute the rewards. It’s no easy task, but one that we feel is well worth it.
This is our full time job. We've been self funding up to this point but we can't finish the project alone. We have some really talented people lined up, but we need your help to bring them on board.
- (30 days)