**Stretch Goal (added 10/10)**
If the campaign reaches $500, all backers will also receive digital audiobooks of "Courting Hunger" and "A God's Life" (targeted for release by January 2016).
The Video King
The Video King shoulders a brick pile
of apartments in Washington Heights.
We arrange DVD-lined shelves
so only geeks and regulars can find
anything between narrow aisles
barricaded with footstools. Kali dominates
the one video-free space of wall behind me,
blue-skinned, sleepy-eyed, skull-wreathed.
Once an SDSers’ co-op, the Video King devolved
to private enterprise some thirty years ago
when all left save the King.
King Irene’s girlfriend Connie, Queen
Consuela, sketches customers
from a hidden corner, t-shirt smudged with graphite.
The King believes in looking sharp
when she does the books at eleven
on a Saturday night, as she does now—
fitted white pearl button-downs
over c-cups bound with a back-brace,
vivid purple hair and matching silk tie.
When she hired me four years ago,
the King said a cute Indian fairy
would brighten up the place.
I haven’t mentioned I’m also a god.
I cook like my grandmother, whipping up a badass stew
from spare parts. Hers, variations on leached chicken
swimming in grease. Mine, resurrecting potatoes-on-the-edge
with a couple cans green chilé. I mince garlic as you read
to me, baritone against the percussion of popping oil.
Looking at you, I reach for the pot, char my finger.
I thrust my hand under the tap; you go on reading
as cold water seals the burn in a scar.
Like my grandmother, I cook to feed armies. She rallied
relatives, friends, strangers to divide the booty.
I have you. Like her, will I never learn
to cook for one? Or like Orpheus, would I follow you
to Hades and, failing, survive still? When you’re gone,
I’ll play your cd, seal my hunger in your voice.
All backers will receive pre-release copies of the ebook editions of "A God's Life" and "Courting Hunger" and will be included in the books' thank you pages. Other rewards, depending on the pledge selected, include:
- A God's Life: signed print edition, softcover, 5.5" x 8.5", 80-90 pages
- Courting Hunger: signed print edition, softcover, 5.5" x 8.5", 80-90 pages
- Complications: CD, released in 2012, 27 minutes, 18 poems (including 17 appearing in "Courting Hunger")
- god-chaser: signed print edition, published by CW Books/WordTech Communications in 2012, softcover, 6" x 9", 84 pages, publisher's description: "In god-chaser, Sari Krosinsky's poems yearn for connection with the divine as they seek it through fully lived human experience"
- Cover art prints offered exclusively to Kickstarter backers: small (8.5" x 11" or vice versa), signed prints of original cover art created by Sari Krosinsky for "A God's Life" and "Courting Hunger."
- 10/12: Submit book and cover art print files for printing.
- 11/1: Send pre-release ebooks to Kickstarter backers.
- 11/11: “Courting Hunger” and “A God’s Life” will be released during a co-feature with Bob Reeves at Poetry at The Range Cafe, Bernalillo, a feature and open mic reading hosted by Bill Nevins. Backers can pick up their rewards during the event.
- 11/12: Publicly release ebooks.
- 11/12-30: Ship rewards to Kickstarter backers.
- 1/2016: Deliver digital audiobook downloads to Kickstarter backers if the stretch goal ($500) has been met.
All Kickstarter funds will be used to cover production and distribution costs (50% printing, 40% shipping, 10% processing fees). Any funds received in excess of anticipated costs will be used to increase the print run for “Courting Hunger” and “A God’s Life.”
Why Self Publish?
Self publishing these books and funding the printing through a Kickstarter campaign makes it possible to keep the cost down and make the books affordable for more readers. And without the copyright restrictions of a traditional publisher, "A God's Life" and "Courting Hunger" can (and will) also be available as a free ebook and will be released under a Creative Commons license. After all, the real value of poetry is in the reading.
Risks and challenges
Once the funding campaign closes, the only work remaining is to add thank you pages to the books, finalize formatting, print, sign and ship. The timeline attempts to account for possible delays in printing and shipping, but greater than anticipated delays may occur.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)