Sarah Peacock - "Burn The Witch"
A truth telling collection of uncomfortable stories for the rising underdog.
Sarah Peacock - "Burn The Witch"
A truth telling collection of uncomfortable stories for the rising underdog.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, July 8 2019 4:59 AM UTC +00:00.
This is a record for the underdogs, the outcasts. Music brings people together. And, it seems to magically melt away the things that often divide us. At least, it makes me feel less alone. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.
It has been a privilege spending the last 15 years discovering the impact that music has on the world. I'm just a simple girl with a guitar and a suitcase full of dreams. Night after night I cross oceans to share my heart with whoever shows up. In theory, that sounds like a pretty cool life. And it is. But I confess that until June 6, 2016, it was far too easy for me to question my own significance as an artist in the equation of change. Is there life out there? Is anyone really listening?
What I found underneath my pile of ashes was a spirit of something otherworldly entirely. One by one, my very own tribe came riding into battle; chanting whispers of angels, "don't you dare give up, Sarah Peacock."
Maybe people ARE listening? Maybe people do care. And in my greatest moment of uncertainty and brokenness I found that yes, they do. People absolutely do care. Music does matter. There is no glory in this business but for the power of a song. And so, here I am; with eleven humble offerings to share with you.
Thank you all so incredibly for the way you have stood by me. Together may we continue to rise, and may we give "Burn the Witch" a set of wings!
1. Burn the Witch
2. Keep Quiet
4. The Cool Kids
5. House of Bones
8. The One
9. Take a Little Time
10. Take You High
11. Hold Me in Your Heart
Poetic justice is served.
My Martin OM28 guitar was given to me in 2004 as a signing bonus as part of my very first record deal. My relationship with that label became abusive and manipulative, lasting nearly 7 years. I was able to buy my freedom, which dissolved my recording and publishing contract in 2011, and my Martin has rarely seen the spotlight since.
Inspired by a New Year in 2019, I began to set in motion a giant purge of things that do not spark joy in my life; clearing my space of negative energy. My dusty Martin made the list, and little did I realize at the time that it would be monetarily worth enough to make an 11 song album.
I was hanging out with my good friend and record producer, Shawn Byrne, one afternoon. One of the things I love about Shawn is how he carefully creates a safe space for vulnerability in his friendships. Shawn is a guy that I can dig up old demons with, and I'm not afraid they're going to follow me home after the conversation. Shawn knew the story behind my Martin guitar. "How about a trade? One guitar for one album," he said as I was packing up. A handshake and a hug, and it was done.
I spent the next few days reflecting on what had transpired. In a strange way, it felt like poetic justice. All I had to do was get rid of a piece of wood. I became willing to purge my life of something that did not serve my emotional or spiritual wellness. Getting to create a beautiful album with Shawn felt like getting back a part of myself that had been stolen so long ago. If you've ever found yourself in an abusive situation, if you've ever had someone try to silence your voice, then I don't have to tell you how much this album means to me.
This my friends, is the heart of why it is so important for "Burn the Witch" to receive a proper album release.
Co-written with Sheena Brook
The Salem witch trials are a barbaric and terrifying chapter in our American history. The infamous Salem witch trials began during the spring of 1692, after a group of young girls in Salem Village, Massachusetts, accused several local women of witchcraft. Somehow, a few immature pre-teens were able to influence an entire village and the court system. Almost overnight, the fear mongering turned to mass hysteria, as people were being accused and burned left and right based on the mood and local opinion of the village on any given day.
"Burn the Witch" tells the story of the witch trials, but more importantly it has a modern message. Here's what's scary: If you're paying attention in our world today, it's almost impossible to ignore that history continues to repeat itself.
Same concept, but on an unfathomable scale - Hitler murdered millions of Jews during WWII.
Even in America today, there seems to be more permission than there has been in a long time to bully. Dehumanization and discrimination is very real for entire people groups: GLBTQ, women, immigrants, muslims, the incarcerated, people of color, the poor, alcoholics and addicts, first nation people, and the list goes on.
Now more than ever, I believe it's important to take a stand, to challenge each other to find compassion within our hearts for someone different than ourselves. I hope that my music and message can be a vessel in facilitating uncomfortable but loving conversations. Let the bridge building begin...
Drum roll, please. The goal for this Kickstarter campaign is $34,567.
The actual expense ledger is closer to 35K, but 34567 just looks so cool sequentially! Ha ha. Below you will see how I have appropriated pledge money towards specific expenses. For the bonus round, I have laid out some pretty amazing stretch goal opportunities as well.
The business model of making music has changed.
Artists have access to more tools than we ever have before to create the right conditions for the kind of success we want. Crowdfunding is how we team up to solidify the amazing tribe we've built together. Because of the support you have shown me, I have been able to organically grow my following, stay on the road for the last 15 years, and continue releasing great quality music and video. For that, I am responsible to you. And that's how I'd like to keep it!
One very important thing to note is that Kickstarter is an "all-or-nothing" platform, meaning if the fundraising goal is not met, I will not receive any of the funding.
The creative part of making a record (songwriting, recording, and mixing) is really only the beginning of releasing a successful project. I've learned by making plenty of mistakes, that the bulk of what needs to be spent on an album release is actually lining up a proper PR campaign.
Here are some of the expenses of releasing "Burn The Witch" into the world:
- Mastering : This is the last process in post production where the songs reach their final climax of intended amazingness. Equally as important as mixing, mastering is really where the album finally feels sonically cohesive.
- Publicity : I will be working with an amazing PR firm on a custom tailored album release cycle PR campaign for "Burn the Witch." This will involve exclusive spotlight features, interviews, and appearances with tastemakers of music industry related publications and television networks.
- Music Videos : You may have seen my two most recent music videos for "Hot Sheet Motel" and "Waiting In Wyoming." I'm so grateful for my Patreon tribe for making the production of these videos a possibility. I have some amazing cinematic concept ideas for several of the songs on this new album, especially "Burn The Witch" and "The Cool Kids." Your support on Kickstarter will help us keep rolling out that professional content.
- Album Artwork : My amazing friend Anna Haas has outdone herself with the photography work for "Burn The Witch." She is also creating the artwork for the CD and vinyl packaging, social media, and tour PR.
- CD Duplication : Some people still like to touch and smell the finished product. I'm definitely one of those people. CD's are actually still pretty popular at house concerts and listening rooms. Your support of this campaign will help me duplicate copies of "Burn The Witch."
- Vinyl : Vinyl is totally back in style, and I'm taking the plunge with all the cool kids to release limited edition vinyl copies of "Burn The Witch." It's expensive, but so worth it. Your support of this campaign will help with vinyl replication.
- Merch : Having great tour merch is essential to making a living as a full time touring artist. Fans really do want to show their support at the merch table. In the last few months, my store has practically transformed into a pop-up flea market. And it's made such a huge difference in my average nightly earnings. With your support I'll be able to expand the store with plenty of limited edition "Burn the Witch" record release tour merch.
- Tour Support : Touring is life! I've been on the never-ending tour since 2005. Although I've gone from performing a grueling 250 dates a year down to a more manageable number of shows, touring is really how I earn my living. AND, it's actually a great way that I can make the most out of YOUR investment in me. Your contribution to this Kickstarter will help offset some of the costs associated with touring such as: vehicle maintenance, hiring band members, hotels, band member per diems, and other unique additions to my little circus that enhance the live experience.
- Social Media Ads : Let's face it, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat, Spotify, etc. are a lot of the ways we discover new content these days whether it be music, a tv show, a new recipe, or whatever! Social ads are a necessary part of building any business, even in the music industry. A portion of pledge money will go to social media outreach to create and engage new listeners around the world.
- Unexpected Expenses; Let's be real. Releasing a record can sometimes be like remodeling a kitchen. You think it's gonna cost "x," and it can wind up costing you "x, y, and z." To account for any unexpected expenses, I have set up a cushion of 7% of the total budget for the rainy days.
GUITAR STRING JEWELRY
SIGNATURE COFFEE BEANS
ORIGINAL ARTWORK ON CANVAS
"Burn the Witch" is set to release in mid March of 2020. But, before you panic about having to wait...
I have good news for you! That wait does not apply to pledgers of this Kickstarter campaign. This record is already in the can; completely finished. With the exception of duplication and a postal stamp, it is ready to be held in your hands and heard by your ears. Although "Burn the Witch" will not release to the general public until March of 2020, you will not have to wait. A proper set up for a press campaign on an album release takes a good bit of time. So, it's best not to rush a street date just for the sake of wanting the album to be out. But, you'll be enjoying it months before anyone else will lay ears on it!
I anticipate being able to ship most rewards (with the exception of a few higher tiered rewards) without much of a delay. Within just a month or two of our successfully funded Kickstarter campaign, you should start receiving your packages. Vinyl replication takes the longest, sometimes up to 8 weeks, so rewards in this bracket may have a slightly longer waiting period. However, you'll be able to enjoy the album digitally until your package arrives!
Once our initial goal is met, stretch goals will be unlocked! Stretch goals are awesome sauce, and here are two that will absolutely knock your socks off!
Once our initial goal is met, new rewards will appear on the Kickstarter project home page. These rewards will be directly related to the stretch goals. You will be able to add these stretch goal rewards on to your existing pledge!
- Stretch Goal #1: $39,567. I wrote a song called "Lady MacGyver" that I've shared at a few select shows in the last several months. To all of you that have sent messages about wanting to get this song: I've got great news! An additional $5,000 after meeting our initial goal of $34,567 in total pledges will result in a proper release of "Lady MacGyver" as a single (separate from "Burn the Witch"). You'll be able to add on to your pledge, preordering special Lady M merch and a digital download of the song.
- Stretch Goal #2: $45,678. For some reason, none of my live shows are complete without someone requesting me to play a cover of Heart's "Crazy on You." There are a handful of other cover songs that have been staples of mine over the years as well. According to my calculations, it will only take (roughly) an additional $6,111 of pledging above our first stretch goal to make a 5 song cover EP. If we reach this amazing stretch goal, I will take my band into one of my favorite Nashville studios, Layman Drug Company, to record 5 of my most requested cover songs. I will be able to properly mix, master, and distribute this cover song EP on Serius XM, Spotify cover playlists, and hopefully get these cover songs some great press!
Your credit card will not be charged until the Kickstarter ends & we've hit our goal. Pledges $100+ include free domestic US shipping.
Risks and challenges
As with every endeavor, unexpected obstacles can come up. Thankfully, since the recording process is complete, if we hit our fundraising goal we I will be able to deliver on all most of the rewards within one to two months of closing this Kickstarter campaign. Barring an unforeseen medical event, I will be touring extensively in 2019 and 2020. One very important thing to note is that Kickstarter is an "all-or-nothing" platform, meaning if we don't hit our fundraising goal, I will not receive any of the funding.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!