About this project
Once this campaign has ended you'll still be able to preorder or buy the game from the Official Rebuild Website. Thanks to everyone who backed and made this a huge success!
- Update #9 - The final countdown
- Update #8 - $40k stretch will vote on Relationships OR Seasons
- Update #7 - Only 2 days to go - new $40k stretch goal added!
- Update #6 - Sketches and video tour of my office
- Update #5 - Live drawing and Q & A today!
- Update #4 - Rebuild's New Art Style
- Update #3 - Announcing soundtrack & new $35 tier
- Update #2 - Goal met & new stretch goals
- Update #1 - About the gangs
It's been a few years since the zombpocalypse turned the world's cities into graveyards and sent the few survivors into hiding. Now you must gather them up and restore civilization to a ruined city, one building at a time.
Rebuild is a strategy sim game, a little like Sim City or The Sims, with a bit of Choose Your Own Adventure and a heap of dark humor. It's a thoughtful, slow-paced game that will make you fond of your survivors before you have to send them to their deaths. You'll manage food, morale and supplies while fending off illness, wild dogs, crazy cults and raiders. And the dead are still out there wandering the streets, hungrier than ever.
Rebuild 2 (aka Rebuild Mobile) has been called "unputdownable" by Touch Arcade, graced Kongregate's top games and has been played by millions in their browsers and on their phones. But the fans want an even better, bigger Rebuild. And just like your own personal zombie butler (spoiler??), I am here to serve.
Rebuild 1 was almost a prototype; I used my own stick man art and only released it as a free Flash game. People liked it, so a year later I teamed up with artist EvilKris to make Rebuild 2. It had gorier graphics, deeper characters and more story, and was the first game I sold on iOS and Android where it's known as simply "Rebuild".
Still, fans asked for a third game and filled my inbox and the Rebuild 3 ideas wiki with awesome suggestions. How could I not make a third Rebuild game? They were practically writing it for me! But this time I wanted to make it much more epic than the first two games.
Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville will be the first PC downloadable game in the series, released on Steam for Windows and Mac. To give an idea of scale, I've already spent more hours working on it than Rebuild 1 and 2 combined, and it's only half done. I've hired two artists and a writer this time and we're working to make Gangs of Deadsville the most engaging, deep, and fun game possible.
- Win/Mac on Steam as well as iOS and Android
- NPC faction forts you can trade, compete, ally or go to war with
- Unique faction leaders with their own personalities, motivations and stories
- Campaign story mode that takes you from small towns into the heart of the big city
- Option to play in real-time for a more fast paced, natural experience
- All new events, storylines and secrets with enough text to fill a novel
- New graphical style featuring a ton of unique survivors and event illustrations
- New interface with drag & drop survivors, squads, zooming, and ginormous cities
- Survivor perks, background stories and individual happiness
- New system for determining the politics and priorities of your fort
- A glorious big branching tech tree for your engineers to research
- New systems for skills, missions, and fort defense
- New equipment, buildings, and resources
- Nearly every UI improvement that fans have asked for
See? It's a lot. The core gameplay will still be the Rebuild that players know, but everything else is significantly embiggened.
My biggest expense for this game is the art. I want to bring Gangs of Deadsville to as many new players as I can, which means focusing on how the game looks and feels as much as how it plays. I've hired lead artist Adam Meyer of Steamroller Studios, who defined the new style of clean vector art and iconic characters.
I also recently brought on Sara Gross (aka Two Bit Art) to help with illustrations for the game's hundreds of events. Most of the stories in Rebuild are told via snippets of interactive fiction, so these pictures will pull you in better than text alone.
This is where your money's going: Adam, Sara and Stephen are doing great work on the game so far, and I want to pay them to make even more awesome content for it.
I'm also going to "Kick it Forward": pledge 5% of the profits to future Kickstarter projects, because there are an awful lot of cool games out there that deserve to get made. kickingitforward.org
Depending on how high we go past the initial funding goal, I've got some extra content stretch goals I'd like to put into the game to make it even more awesome.
Risks and challenges
There's no question I'll be able to finish Rebuild: Gangs of Deadsville. There's already a lot riding on it in terms of my personal investment, and all the faith and effort that fans have made to send me their suggestions for it. Everyone's excited about this game, and I won't let you down.
The question is just how awesome will it be. Since most Rebuild fans have only played the free Flash version, will anyone pay for a more fully-featured downloadable Rebuild game? Can I afford to make it truly epic? This is what I hope to answer with this campaign.
The game's release goal is May 2014. I can't guarantee we'll make that, but I can guarantee you'll be able to play a beta version by then. The digital artbook will ship shortly after the game launch. Other rewards will ship before.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)