We are pleased that you have come here. Let us tell you about your Farflung experience. It is a tabletop game about the ends of the universe, where nothing has been undone and everything is permitted. You will be one of the heroes who rages against the dying of the star-light. From transhuman zetta-tech androids, to the bewildered time-traveler who came to see new wonders, down to the humble robot who yearns for freedom, the only limits are your imagination.
Make your own stories in the mold of Babylon 5, Dancers at the End of Time, Doctor-Who, Fifth Element, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Lexx, Torchwood, and other science-fiction of high concept and mature themes. While you revel in the absurdity of Futurama or Rick and Morty, take a moment to think about how you would feel in the same place. What adventures could you have with the Shapers, the Machinists, the Culture that have gone past simple concepts of gender, of race, of physical bodies, of time and space? Let us show you.
We provide you with numerous playbooks, examples of characters that you can play. Customize your appearance, your abilities, your wants and needs, and begin playing in moments. Become something else:
- An animal uplifted with cybernetic systems and brain enhancement
- A displaced time traveler from the distant past, exploring strange and unknown worlds
- A discarded robot without master, free to choose your own purpose
- A shape-shifting alien who can go anywhere and be anyone
- A weary immortal, having lived through centuries and yet still has hope for the future
- A being of unfathomable power, a destroyer of worlds, who would rather know love than hate
- A product of your fantastic imagination
- And more!
In a future where everything is possible, then what makes for an interesting story? Farflung introduces you to a world of challenges from the simplest of tasks to the most complex of emotions. When space, time, death, life, hate, love, and everything else have passed beyond binary meaning, we will show you the many new stories that wait for you:
- Journey to the far ends of the universe to discover the fates of civilizations, to learn the true nature of yourself, or just to watch a world burn.
- When others test your patience because they fear your power, will you give in to your worst impulses and destroy your enemies, or will you find a way to live and let live?
- Experience unfathomable horror from the illimitable gulfs of space... but then get as far away as possible, because the stains from that kind of thing never come out.
- Run away from your past, and from those you've wronged... or make peace with them, and then make amends. Would you wash out blood with blood, or would you seek another way to solve your problems?
- Discover the perils of time travel, where changing the tiniest bits of history can have repercussions in the future. Or, undo the problems that your future selves haven't even made yet, because what's the point of having a time machine if you can't use it for personal gain?
- Romance your fellow beings, from the most ephemeral of humans to the most cosmic of energies. Lie, cheat, steal, hold grudges, get in spats, break up, get back together, and fall in love against a backdrop of the stars.
The Apocalypse Engine begins with simple rules. Declare it, then do it. Let the uncertain be broken down into simple, random rolls. Farflung moves further to examine what it means to be someone. You are not alone. To succeed, you will have to ask your friends to prepare you, to inspire you, to help you. Not every thing will be an us-vs-them, winner-take-all struggle... your Farflung game will put you in a universe where there is sometimes strength in surrender, there is power in compassion, there is hope in togetherness.
You can't do it all yourself. Even if you could, you'd find yourself exhausted and alone, and if there's no one there to share your life with, then there's no winning at all. Work together with your friends to overcome physical pain, anxiety, shyness, horror, and loneliness. Experience Farflung's unique points in time, where each of you will combine your own moves with the support, hope, and love of your friends... where everyone is important and has something to say. How far are you willing to go? Would you win the world but lose your soul? What is the true power of the soul? Let us show you a new side to yourself.
You may have more desires. You may message us to ask about new pledging options, and we will do our best to please you.
We at Sanguine game are committed to responsible design. While we have a mighty grasp, it's you who give us the reach.
Risks and challenges
When Friedrich approached us with their idea of post-scarcity, trans-human science fiction, we were intrigued but also cautious. Were people ready to embrace a high-concept game of science-fiction that wasn't just post-scarcity trans-human science fiction, but also one that wasn't simply about shooting bug-eyed aliens in some hellscape? In recent years, tabletop gaming has grown more diverse, more understanding, and more receptive to new ideas of fantasy and wonder.
We can offer you early-access immediately to the FARFLUNG manuscript. The game is finished and quite playable. We're reaching out to you, because your support shows that you believe in the wonders of imagination as much as we do.
Our track record speaks for itself. We've been crowd-funding before there was a Kickstarter, and our company remains committed to diversity in books, games, and entertainment. Thank you for your support.
- (28 days)